which upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TyrantofJustice, Sep 3, 2017.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    is it worth going 1900x threadripper and expensive mobo or 1800x ryzen and reasonable motherboard ... i have one wifi card one gpu one sata ssd drive and no m2 drives so i do not use many pci lanes ... but i also wanted quad channel memory

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    What do you need Quad-channel memory for?

3. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    Hmm .. guess there is really no (need) for it. I just thought it was better for some reason. Excuse My ignorance but I'm not too tech savvy as I once was lol

4. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    is it worth going from an overclocked i7 6700k at 4.6 to a ryzen 1700x and a nice mobo? I just want to be more recent and i am not interested in coffee lake at all.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Not really a reason unless you need to leverage the extra threads. What is the main focus of your PC? If gaming is what you use it for most then what you have is fine to stay with until a real upgrade happens (ice lake or Zen2). If I were you I would just stay put.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    well here is the thing.. i do a lot of video batch conversion which i would like to speed up im a casual gamer but i do have a 1080 as a gpu so i can play the good games on ultra.
    also i have someone that wants to buy the stuff i have now so its basicaly costing me nothing and i make a bit off of it .

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay in that case take the video programs you use the most and check benchs for them. The 1700x/1800x is not a bad gaming CPU just not as good as Skylake. However it is a monster most of the time in encoding and production tasks. If you think the increase is one area is more substantial than the slight decline in some cases in the other is a worthy trade off go for it. You will not be disappointed with R7.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    ok im just gonna stick with what i got till either coffee lake or ZEN2 ... i can still sell old parts just for not as much or just build a second pc fopr the kids ... thanks for straightening this out before i just pulled the trigger.

9. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    lol we replied same time thankjs again

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    For gaming, it'd be a sidegrade. Intel still has a slight edge. For pretty much everything else, Ryzen is significantly faster.

It's tempting (Ryzen) but I'm trying to hold off until the next gen from both sides before I upgrade my 4790K based system. I'm hoping for AMD's "Sandy Bridge" breakthrough next round.

airbud7 likes this.