Which Texture Filtering Quality option do you choose?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Xtreme1979, Oct 14, 2010.

?

Texture filtering - Quality

1. Quality (Default)

36 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. High quality

108 vote(s)
    71.1%
  3. Performance

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. High performance

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    There is an unnecessary amount of e-peen-itis in this thread, people with last gen's midrange crads trying to suggest they use 8xsupersamplign for all games....rofl.

HQ for me, AA depends on game, nuff said.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Where did you read that..?

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

side by side, its quite obvious in distance. with quality the distant textures...espcially on the ground are more blurry by comparison, and its not a little difference either, you can notice it right away. High performance just makes them that much blurrier but considering how well a few particular games perform, i dont mind it.

i try to use high quality, if not i use performance

you could depending on how you tweak other factors or what resolution you use. Many people still use 1280x1024 native LCD's. I have a 280gtx. technically i can play all my games at 8x SS. Vast majority play just fine, a few like Crysis i would tweak config or lower the resolution, no doubt midrange can do as well..you just tweak a bit more lol

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    If you are suggesting that people lower their resolutions in favour of AA...then I will just have to throw in the towel...I don't get people.

Here is how the hierarchy of performance sacrifices should go.

If you want better performance, AA does first, then settings, lastly res gets dropped.

But besides that, let us ponder on the fact that trying to increase clarity by using SSAA, is completely negated by introducing blur...by lowering the res. :S

The only game I use SSAA in is Dragon Age, because the difference is very clear, and it runs with same with 32CSAA as it does with 32CSAA+8SSAA...which is 60 frames constant, but for people with a mid range card, it doesn't make sense. I used to run 2aa in DA on my 280...

5. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    AF has such a small performance hit these days, there is really no reason to have it set at anything other than 16x, HQ with no optimisations.

If you're looking for that last couple of points in your 3D Mark score, turn on all the optimisations, and leave on app controlled.

6. p0ppa

p0ppa Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 SLI
    imo it all depends on the game engine
    some will increase the performance by twice if you drop the resolution by 1(option i mean), while others depend on the settings or AA

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    High quality settings on everything.

8. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960
    High Quality.

9. smokey163

smokey163 Member

GPU:
    8800ultra 648/1620/972
    high quality and 16x ansiotropic have used it since geforce 6800 with hardly any performance penality and Ive got a geforce 8 god knows bout fermi

10. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    I just leave it to "let the 3d application decide" and depending what game I am playing tweak it from there ...atleast at 1920x1080 one size most definitely does not fit all.

11. The Monkey Frog

The Monkey Frog Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 9600GT 512MB
    I just stick to the default "Quality"

I cannot see much difference so it doesn't phase me.

12. vrt684

vrt684 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC
    you have to change more than the quality setting to high quality to see any change in textures being more realistic and i have a 460 and i can crank supersample to 8x and AA to 16x and and AF to 16x with threaded optimization to off and triple buffer on and leave Vsync at 3d app setting and it dont seem to take much hit on my performance but everything looks beautiful to me

13. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti
    why turn threaded optimization off?

14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Indeed,threaded optimization should be enabled for the most newer applications.

15. arrrdawg

arrrdawg Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460m
    ?? Anti-Aliasing doesn't haven anything to do with textures and neither does threaded optimization (which should be on or auto for most new games). Triple buffer only affects Open GL games

The difference in texture quality between 'high quality' and 'quality' is something I've never seen so I just stick with quality. Depending on the game or what is going on, there might be no difference in framerate or 5fps difference for whatever reason so I leave it on quality and turn anisotropic sample optimizations off. I leave on trilinear sampling optimizations. Those three are what is there by default so I just normally don't mess with them. The only time I ever saw a difference is with an old game that only went up to 8x AF and I had been previously messing with the settings. Sampling optimizations were on and negative LOD was at allow for some reason and the ground became pixellated and ugly in the back. Nowadays I just leave AF at 16x, negative LOD at clamp, and optimizations at quality/default unless I run into a situation where the game has artifcats because of clamping the LOD or using AF

Edit: Well I just realized that transparency AA would effect textures, but only alpha textures. And thats MSAA, if you have an older game you can force SSAA in nvidia inspector :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010