Which tablet to consider?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by yleclerc, Jul 4, 2011.

?

Which tablet???

Poll closed Jul 19, 2011.
  1. Venberable Ipad 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Android 3.x (ASUS Transformer / XOON)

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Windows (HP Slate)

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I have been "bitten" with the "must get a tablet" bug. Which tablet should I consider looking at?

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i dont like android that much compared to windows but i have to accept its the best right now, i would choose a galaxy tab 10.1

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I had that problem a few months ago. Bought a cheap Android tablet....go with Ipad or Windows unless Google has managed to work out ALL of the bugs I've experienced... (WiFi drops after 15-20mins, browser crashes a few seconds later...Android crashes shortly after that...)

4. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    sykozis -- Was that Android tablet based on the older 2.x ? Android 3.x seems to be a lot better.

5. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    I think windows Tabs are gonna be the ones to watch in the near future, but just the now i'd go with Android

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Android 2.2....but, I'm of the opinion that if they can't test 1 product before release, they probably won't test the others either. The issues I've experienced could have easily been causght before release, had they actually spent 20-30mins testing it.

7. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    sykozis -- Android 2.2 reviews all seem to have the same conclusion: Android 2.2 is really for cell phones. Android 3.x (Honeycomb???) is the Android OS for the tablet.

8. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ^^this

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yep, froyo is a fail for tablets, but honeycomb is rock solid, still i dont like them lol

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Obviously the tablet makers and Google felt otherwise....

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I love the ASUS eeePad Transformer, I played around with it, it's great. However, the thing I'm waiting for is the ASUS PadFone which is slated to launch later this year ... it's a phone/tablet combo.

As for Windows tablets, they look so boring. Microsoft should just stick Windows at what it does best ... being on laptops and desktops. The full fledge Windows on tablets would be bulky and slower than an OS that's designed for embedded devices like Android (Linux), iOS, Blackberry Tablet OS (QNX), WebOS, Windows Phone 7. Personally, Microsoft should have worked tablets on top of Windows CE which is what Windows Phone 7 runs on. It makes a lot more sense.

Also, being not able to run existing Windows application on Windows tablets personally defeats why you need Windows on a tablet in the first place (for what Microsoft is planning for, for Windows 8). They're not allowing x86 applications run on their ARM variant. Windows is practically useless without its existing software ecosystem. That's why so many people are tied to it, not because it's better, but the software they need to use are only available on it.

deltatux

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I can't find anything that says Windows Phone 7 is based on WindowsCE.... Windows Mobile 6.5, used on the KinOne, KinTwo, KinOneM and KinTwoM, is based on WindowsCE. Every time I read about updates, they speak of software....which would signal that WindowsCE wasn't used as a base, since WindowsCE was more firmware oriented and thus would use firmware updates instead of software.

Also, according to Microsft the orignal Windows Mobile platform was abandoned for Windows Mobile 7...which again would insinuate that they've abandoned WindowsCE.

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really? Windows Phone 7 runs a Windows CE 6.0 R3 kernel man[1]. Windows Mobile and in extension Windows Phone 7 have always ran a CE kernel as that's Microsoft's specialized kernel. Even the XBOX and XBOX 360 runs a variant of the Windows CE kernel. Windows NT is too bulky to go in embedded devices ... that's why I've questioned Windows on tablets since they were announced. Playing with one confirmed by suspicions, they're slower and not touch friendly compared to OSes designed for embedded devices.

[1] http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/windows-phone-7-based-on-a-hybrid-windows-ce-6-compact-7-kerne/

deltatux

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    And that is completely contrary to what Microsoft's own people have posted on their own Windows Mobile forum when asked about Windows Mobile 6.5....

Windows Embedded XP....is not CE based at all...it's NT based.

15. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, but Windows Embedded XP is for kiosks which aren't really embedded devices, they're really old desktops refitted for kiosks.

As for Windows Phone 7, that's on the MSDN blog so I guess it's quite legit as not anyone can post on MSDN.

deltatux

16. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Realy? I have had a Galaxy Tab running 2.2 since launch and have had none of those problems. WiFi, 3G, GPS, internet surfing, tethering, and blue tooth have all been rock solid. I even changed the firmware to the EU vers. to ge thh phone function and it even works without a hitch. It has been the best gadget purchase for me in recent memory. I haven't even considered getting a new one until they put out one that will replace the phone function as I use it as a backup
    Which tablet did you buy because the OS isn't responsible for the hardware used. Alot of crappy Tabs with Froyo 2.0-2.2 were released and have caused alot of people to think it's the OS when in fact it's that Tablet itself. I wouldn't spend less than $400US on any Tablet and expect it to work aswell as one that cost more. A Tablet with crappy harware running Honeycomb will not function as well as Tablet with good hardware running Froyo. It's the same as a PC. FYI

17. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    A really cheap option to get the feel is a Nook Color. Root it and install some form of Gingerbread and you have a very competent tablet for $200ish.

18. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    Was not that a similar concept already tried: Motorola Atrix?

I have not seen much after it's launch.

19. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No that's a phone and netbook combination and it was a little awkward, this is a phone that slips into the back of a tablet.

Different way of interfacing.

deltatux