Which speakers?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Radikalman, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Radikalman

Radikalman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB / OC
    Hello gurus! I've just received my Auzentech Forte and its an awesome little card! Unfortunately though my speakers are cheap and are definitely holding it back. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to speakers so I've come to you for help. I'm looking to spend roughly around £150 - £200. I've had a little look around and found this:

• Razer Mako 2.1 - £200

Are they any good? Any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I'm sick of mediocre audio!

Thanks in advance

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The price is way too much for what you get.
    I would suggest using the money to get a receiver or amp and some HT speakers and a Subwoofer.

If you must use "PC" branded speakers look at:

Edifier
    Genius
    Sven
    Microlab

I am unsure what is available in your area. All those companies offer some of the best PC speaker available for reasonable prices. There are many other system out there and companies.

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  4. Radikalman

Radikalman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB / OC

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hmm, if you are planning on alot of gaming etc, then you may want to go with a set of speakers. Monitors are fine but those are going to be lacking in the bass end as they are meant to be used with a subwoofer.

What about a receiver and a surround sound system meant for HT? You can get great price to performance if you buy decent gear. You don;t need to spend alot and most cheap HT system will massacre more expensive PC systems. There are some decent "PC" system out there if you know what companies and products to look at.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  7. Radikalman

Radikalman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB / OC
    I'm more leaning towards the monitors now to be honest, i just visited my friend who has studio monitors as well, granted not the same ones that I'm looking at but i was very impressed with the the clarity of the music that came out of them. I'm not really looking for huge amounts of bass from them as my neighbors always complain even with the rubbish 30 quid speakers i have at the moment, so something even beefier would drive them through the roof, haha. I guess i could even buy a sub to go with it further down the line if i feel the need to further enhance my music experience. Cheers for the help anyway guys it's much appreciated.

Radikalman.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Monitors are a great choice.

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    i'd recommend the Audioengine A5 speakers.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I so agree, i just got these today, and omg... the bass is incredible.
    and i don't even dare put the volume passed 50% it's really that loud :banana:

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    After using (actually right now as I type this) Klipsch KM-2's I'd have to recommend something along those lines. Similar speakers can be found with a good search that will yield a pretty good flat response and they (Klipsch) are well known for accurate reproduction with little coloring. Just to add another perspective. :)

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

Did you make your purchase?

13. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Logitech good for bass heads and thats pretty much it, muffled mids and highs... no tweeter in these. They go loud, although they will blow out fast if you crank them regularly. Then the popping and crackling begins.

The MX were good pc speakers although now discontinued. The next best set of 2.1 pc speakers are the klipche promedia 2,1 klipche re-released these with and ipod in the title ie. klipche pro-media 2.1/ipod same speakers from 10 years ago btw there thx cert if that floats your boat.

After that the 2.1 S330D by edifier these are dont cost alot and sound great and use high quality components wood cabinets and such i think.

moving along from the PC speakers.

The M-Audio AV40 sound awesome, although they are classified as monitors there much better suited to being multimedia speakers and are advertised this way in reality. they have a bass boost feature as well. use actual speaker wire and are rather large youtube some reviews.
    On side note these do have an audible hum from about 50 centemetres away. Personally i could not hear it unless i put my ear right next to speaker.

With the bass boost on i was able to bother my neighbours. They cost about 150 depending where u get em.

I bough the kliphce set 2 week ago here locally in canada for 189.99 returned them wasnt impressed with the sound

THe logitechs i owned last year they blew within 2 weeks at moderate to high level listening. again no mids no high stay away paid 129 locally

havent heard the edifiers but i here great things.

Kept the M-Audio av40 SWEET speakers and plenty enough bass plus u can add a woofer later.

Today im off to buy a set of audioengine a2s for my mac. Again great speakers self amplified same as the maudios.

In conclusion Get the audio engine or M audio u wont miss the sub my friend and u will hear things u never hread before. btw i owned all these speakers cept the edifiers and a2s im pick up today for 209 at westworld hope that helped... oh ya and dopnt forget u can add a sub later of u feel u need it

As u know monitors are meant to sound flat. The av40 are wonderful have good bass and add color(life) to you music and games which is what we want as an average listener ie not producing music. Oh ya and behringer ms40 are pretty good aswell again there classified monitors but advertised as multimedia speakers these ones have more bass then the av 40s youtube the audio engines a2 maudio av40 and the ms40

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  14. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    i can vote for the m-audio av40 as well...have them too, great speakers