which pistol to carry?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    Why are the prices on those so high?

I am proud to say I've been Glock free for almost two years. I grew up around Glocks, in a Glock home. In my family everyone had a Glock, and we shot Glocks on weekends. So what? A little Glock shooting never hurt anybody... or does it? It wasn't before long that I myself was mired in the world of Glock. I figured Glocks were cool, everyone I know has a Glock, why not me? It didn't take long before I was carrying a Glock in a holster... openly and concealed. It was as if I felt like I couldn't leave home without my Glock. I had it on my nightstand every night... I needed help. Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones and I had a friend who cared deeply for me, and he let me shoot his 1911. I shot that 1911 and realized that there was a whole world out there and that it was possible to go through life without shooting Glocks. I was set free. My spirit soared to even greater heights than ever before and I traded my Glock in and never looked back.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Turkish market. High yes. Yo jot let anyone buys it.

And Glock is weak? Yeah I prefer it. Small and easy to maintain. The more I read the more I love

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

5. chris2k

chris2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Is america that bad that you have to carry a firearm on you just in case? Man id love to own a gun but I wouldn't want to live somewhere were I only feel safe if I'm carrying!

6. moloko-plus

moloko-plus New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB
    Given these statements, I'd recommend you not to purchase or carry any firearm. You seem to lack the resolve, or perhaps don't understand this particular method of defense. Self-defense with a firearm is only to be used when it is absolutely necessary. In other words, you believe that if you don't stop the attack, you (or your wife, girlfriend, children, bystanders...) will be mortally harmed. In such a case, what happens to the attacker is of no consequence. The only thing that does matter is that he or she stops posing a threat as quickly as possible. You cannot rely on simply wounding someone and hope they have a change of heart about murdering you or another.

If you can come to terms with this, then you really should try to get some range time in with the handguns you are considering. Reading about them is not enough. Glocks are fine, dependable, accurate enough...albeit not the most handsome of designs. However, you're wanting a tool, not something to enter into a beauty pageant. Try out different calibers. If by choosing a 9mm you will end up spending more time practicing (whether it be due to the cheaper cost of ammo, milder recoil, or both), then you should buy a 9mm. Practice is paramount. All bullets of any caliber and design can be deadly, depending on shot placement. Effective hollowpoint designs exist for all serious defensive calibers, and you should choose one of those for regular carry. You do not want to be carrying FMJs as they are primarily designed to wound. They're relatively cheap and fine to practice with, but not good at stopping someone determined to do harm to others. If your chosen weapon will handle +P ammunition (higher pressures=higher velocities=greater damage and more reliable 'stopping' ability), I would (and do) choose one of those loadings.

Regardless of what you decide, hopefully you will never need to use it. That's the mindset of every person I know who carries a handgun for defense: to be prepared for the worst, and strive for the best. Avoid confrontations. Don't venture into unsafe areas needlessly. Be respectful to others, and try to resolve conflicts with words. Common sense really. Odds are you won't ever need to use a gun for self-defense, or defense of others. I've been shooting handguns, rifles and shotguns for nearly 40 years, and I've never fired upon another person, nor would I want to. I don't know what it's like in your part of the world. It does sound like you have much more freedom than I would have imagined. More so than some poor fools in certain parts of the U.S., but then they've gotten what they voted for...

7. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    I pack a SIG P220 with a can.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Pretty good first post there chief...... welcome to guru3d

9. moloko-plus

moloko-plus New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB
    Neither would I. That's one reason I don't live in a metropolitan area. Unfortunately, there are areas in some cities (Chicago definitely comes to mind of late) where it's probably a really good idea, due to the ever-popular, overtly racial in nature "knock-out game". In rural areas, carrying a firearm while out in the sticks is a very good idea, particularly where there are dangerous animals (or millions of wild boars, which we have been plagued with in Texas and other southern states, and can be dangerous).

If you only ever got your news from television (or liberal websites), you'd think that the only time firearms are used in the U.S. is during the commission of a violent crime. The truth is, and has been for decades, that they are used by civilians (effectively and competently) far more often to thwart such violent crimes than they are in the commission of crimes. Why then does the mainstream media not report these kinds of stories? The answer should be obvious.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    nice one thanx

11. moloko-plus

moloko-plus New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB
    Thanks. I actually used to visit frequently, and had an account. But that was such a long time ago. Lost my credentials, had to create a new account.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Great informative post!

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh .22 LR pistol is enough to kill easily... so it has already enough stopping power -.-

14. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    This is the exact advice I was going to type out myself. So I'll give the shortened version.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt

I personally learned to never point a gun at any living thing that I wasn't willing and ready to destroy if it came to a decision of their life or mine (or my families etc.). Most of the time if you need to fire a gun in self defense, particularly in urban areas, you don't have time to carefully line up a shot and aim for a "non vital" area. You have to rely on thousands of repetitions, and you need to be able to quickly and confidently line up your handgun on their center mass and pull that trigger if you're being rushed. Only practice can give you that.

Personally I hit what I aim at better with a revolver (feels much more natural to me) and I find them easier to conceal too. I carry a Taurus 617 .357 Mag 7 shot Revolver - compact and hard hitting. I have extra large strong hands, so the recoil doesn't bother me, but I would recommend shooting .38 Special out of it first to anyone new to handguns.

[​IMG]

***As for Glocks, if you like the feel of it in your hand when firing then get one, they're as durable as you can find and an all around good pistol (I've shot the G19 in 9mm and G21 in .45 ACP).

15. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    My personal preference for carry is my .40 P2000SK Lem.

Like Moloko said, if you have to ask what you should get, you're probably not ready. Each person will have a preference for what fits his/her hand and controls, plus size and weight. As the saying goes "right tool for the job" every pistol is different, some work better then others in certain situations. My carry is a .40, my in vehicle pistol is a five seven.

You never buy a carry gun to wound somebody, its designed and used to kill. That is a carry weapons sole purpose if it is ever pulled out of the holster. Its not for show, or waving around, its for taking someones life. You just can't pull it out and say "hey you get away from me, you scare me"

When I was growing up guns were for plinking, hunting, and rodent control, as I got older and the world around me started to change, guns went from being a recreational tool to a daily part of my life.

No one in their right mind ever wants to have to pull a pistol and take someones life in self defense, but the way this world (america) is headed and all the crazy stuff that goes on, the risk is now legit for me to carry.

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    In here u can not test pistols. U need first register a gun to u after getting license to carry. So how on earth I can know which gun is good or bad. I need to decide before purchase. Thank for comments but a philosophy guy started something and u guys keep it burn.

Ofcourse I don't know about guns. Ofcourse I didn't use that one specific pistol before.

Iam asking because I need to decide before getting my license. Not my decision. Government. I will train later. Jesus.

Can an admin close this topic Pls? Thank u. I got my answer about it already.

17. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Get a glock if you are comfortable carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber. They do not have an external hammer and do not really have a safety.

Some people are more comfortable carrying a loaded gun with an external hammer in the 'down' position.

It needs to be ready to fire the moment you have it out of the holster.

18. max883

max883 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti SLi
    Every one should have a gun as long as they take theyr medickasion!!!! I love my ak47

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.