1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PCI-E card can softmod to Quadro?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by newnewnew, May 16, 2006.

1. newnewnew

newnewnew New Member

Hi to everyone!

I'm new around here.

There are a few PCI-E cards but I'm wondering which cards can or can't be modded to Quadro level (FX4000 or higher). I don't know anything about softmodding haha but all I know is I don't wanna spend tons of cash for a Quadro card! Just wanna squeeze as much out of my lowly budget here.
    Ok these are the cards I have in question:

XFX GeForce 6800XT
    Colorful 6800GS
    Galaxy 6800XT
    Galaxy 6800GS
    Asus N6800 Extreme
    MSI NX6800GS

Maybe its kinda dumb to ask, but is there anything specific to look out for (on the cards to be able to softmod)? :help:
    Thank you all

2. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    well seaming as they are all under the 6800 ultra , i dunno

modding to quadro, i could do it on my ti4200
    but new ones i have no idea, i will research tonight and come back with answer in about 2 hours

3. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    6800 ultra you can do a softmod to
    think you can do it to 6800gt as well

4. newnewnew

newnewnew New Member

hey thanks friend! Looking forward

Thanks for reply. I wish there are tell tale signs or a list somewhere I can refer to as to which card can or can't. I don't have much budget to test each one out... :)

5. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Ok i have found some very useful info for u

You can Softmod 6800 to quadro 4000
    This will as you know increase opengl performance and let you use maya, 3dmax alot better

I might edit the way to do it later and get rid of useless info

This is Taken From pcstats.com

How to softmod 6800LE/NU/GT/Ultra to a Quadro 4000.

if you're wondering what's the difference between a commercial card and a professional one like quadro or firegl. the difference is the professional card has Hardware OpenGL aceleration capability which dramatically speeds up your workflow in 3D apps. it has NO, i repeat NO performance increase in games. in some cases, depending on the version of the drivers, it might even negatively impact your gaming frame rate by a small margin.

here's what happened. ever since i recently graduated from college i've been working at home long hours for the past two month putting together my demo reel to start my job hunt. and the latest and the last project i've been working on has been giving me a hard time. those of you who know me know more or less that i am some kind of graphic designer. in fact, i've shifted my main focus to 3D. so this latest project i've been working on involves XSI. i've shifted away from Maya (don't ask me why). there is one problem tho. XSI and Radeon are like Venus clashing with Mars. while i was working on my model last week and saved all my animation sequences, quit and open back up the scene. BAM!... error!!... that one scene was gone. and believe me that wasn't the first time that happened. so i finally told myself that i had it with all these crashes, clunkyness and errors. i was gonna go out and actually buy a Quadro 1100 even tho my broke fresh outta college ass have no money.

after a whole day of researching just right before i bid on a quadro 1100 on ebay. i came across some info on the net on modding a Geforce 6 series to a quadro equivalent. and yes, there is an equivalent softmod for ATI radeon to FireGL. and believe me.. i tried mine countless times with different methods and my 9800pro just doesn't seem to convert. so this new 6800 to quadro 4000 seemed like a dream. so i went out and bought a 6800LE from newegg just to try it out. BOOM!.. it took me less than 5 mins to set it up before i have a fully functional Quadro capability. if you think FreeFireGL was easy, you're gonna kick yourself on this one. it involves no BIos flashing, soldering or annoying god for saking driver patching.

here is what needs to be done
    (NOTE! anything here on about the modification is an invention and discovery of Unwinder, the RivaTuner creator himself. i take NO credit myself. all credits and thanks goes to him. i am just here to spread the word and bash the evil spirits in the nut.)

all you need is installing the latest RivaTUner 2.0 RC15.4 no more patching specific drivers. you're free to use any driver you want.
    once you have the card, driver(geforce driver or quadro driver doesn't matter), and riva tuner installed.
    1. go to Low Level system settings under Target Adaptor and install NVstrap.

2.Check "use ROM strap for PCI device ID Program" and under PCI device ID click on one of the up or down arrow and select Custom. then choose Quadro FX4000 below you.

3.Check unlock Professional Capabilities and allow enabling Hardware masked.

HEADS UP! for LE or NU owners. by default, LE has 8X1pp and 4vp enabled and NU has 12X1pp and 5vp. the masked out pipelines "should" be functional however they might not be complete stable in some cases. which is the reason why those NV 40s are made for LE or NU coming out of the production line. just like CPU manufacturing process, the better cores that pass all the tests are assigned to be constructed as higher end cards like ultra and GT while the others go to the lower end LE or NU. in most cases those masked pipelines should function properly. in some cases they might produce a few artifacts or prevent you from overclocking. in worst case scenario, the masked pipelines will simply not work at all. in that case, you're stuck with the default pipelines. however, you'll still be able to enable the professional capabilities. so this pipeline enable method is not quarenteed for EVERYONE. youll just have to try your luck.

4. if you're an LE or NU owner you can enable the remaining Pixel and vertex pipelines by select the drop down box that says Determined by bios and go to custom.

5. click Customize and unlock all the masked pipelines by putting a checkmark next to it. click ok and exit out and reboot

BOOM!.. you have a Quadro. go back to Riva Tuner and you should see that you have all 16X1pp and 6vp enabled.

if you still don't believe it. download SpecView and run the benchmarks.

below is an example of my SpecView benchy after the mod.

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 35.40

---------- SUM_RESULTS\CATIA\SUMMARY.TXT
    catia-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 26.42

---------- SUM_RESULTS\ENSIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    ensight-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 16.70

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-07 Weighted Geometric Mean = 26.62

---------- SUM_RESULTS\MAYA\SUMMARY.TXT
    maya-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 60.68

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 38.67

---------- SUM_RESULTS\SW\SUMMARY.TXT
    sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 21.76

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-04 Weighted Geometric Mean = 21.31

that's all... the mod is done!

now... if you're an overclock maniac like me... you're not just gonna stop here are you?

for you crazy overclockers out there should have no problem overclock your GT or ULtra. there shouldn't be much difference in overclockbility. however, if you're an LE or NU owner, depending on the stability of the masked pipelines, you might or might not be able to overclock. so if RivaTuner's low level overclock can't pass the test that means the masked pipelines are not stable enough to run the overclocked frequency.

6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    NVIDIA PCI-E cards you can softmod to Quadro are:
    6200/6600 NV43 rev A2 based cards (A3 and higher revisions are locked => unmoddable)
    6800GT/6800Ultra NV45 based cards (all revisions work)

7. newnewnew

newnewnew New Member

Wow! Guys your all fantastic! :thumbup: Thanks for all the info. Now, I need time to get through all that info. Respect!

8. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    I have a XFX 6800GT card, and I would like to know if:
    1) Do I need to put the checker "allow enabling hardware masked units"?
    2) And other thing, in the control panel, when I apply the riva tuner with quadro fx 4000, graphic appears like 6800gt series GPU (and not that quadro fx)..., and I ask you, that's correct????? (I refer with hard and soft mod, I make the two methods).
    Thank you very much and sorry for my poor english.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  9. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Duplicate post, sorry.

10. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    1) no, only do like this:
    [​IMG]

2) This is correct. You have a PCI Express card, and those are shown as 6800 even after modding to Quadro FX 4000.
    The professional OpenGL Quadro features will be there,
    all programs will use the card as a Quadro, only Windows itself will show it as 6800.
    If you look at "Performance & Quality settings" you should have now the "Active Profile" on the upper right side, where you may choose your application.
    This picture is from mine AGP, and on those the left "Application:" is greyed out when modding.
    On PCI Express, I think "Application:" will still be available...
    Also, you can see the "Unified back/depth buffer" setting,
    when you see this on your PC, you know it is Quadro-fied.
    [​IMG]

11. legolasgleaf

legolasgleaf Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX3500
    Yes is a PCI-E.
    The tab "performance and quality settings", don't show, but I found in this forums a xml file that I put in windows/system32 and works well.
    What do you refer with unified back/depth buffer setting?
    Thank you for all.

12. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Yes, that's correct, you need to copy the nvwsapps.xml file in manually.
    I forgot that.

Eh.. I am refering to the picture above.. don't you see it???

13. beranek6

beranek6 New Member

6600gt @ quadro fx540

i have this 6600gt pci-e card and it shows as fx540. The problem is i cannot install maxtreme drivers from nvidia. It says no quadro card detected or something.Any idea what should i do?
    And where do i find that .xml file?

Thanx guys

14. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    @beranek6:
    Which revision is your card? A2 or A4? (It says on first RivaTuner page)

When you install Nvidia drivers, they are usually first extracted to C:\NVIDIA\[driverversion]
    Inside that folder is NvwsApps.xm_

E.g.

C:\NVIDIA\81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql\NvwsApps.xm_

You expand that file with

expand -r C:\NVIDIA\[driverversion]\NvwsApps.xm_
    from a command prompt

Then you get a new file "nvwsapps.xm"
    - and then rename that to "nvwsapps.xml"

(You need the "expand.exe" file somewhere in your path,
    e.g. in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\" folder)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  15. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Wouldn't the Galaxy card with smartflash work best in the case of a bad flash?

16. jorgehardware

jorgehardware New Member

hi guys, what about 7xxx series??? are u sure u cant softmod 7600gt ???

anybody tried?

17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    u can but it wont make any difference!!

18. guapisimogenial

guapisimogenial New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600gt
    HI !!

The info you have added here is so useful for me. I want to buy a geforce 6800 pci-e to softmod into a quadro fx, i just wanna know wich of all geforce 6800 line cards its better for softmod and if Im working with DCC in avid.

Some of these maybe ?

GeForce 6800 LE
    GeForce 6800 LE
    GeForce 6800
    GeForce 6800 GTO
    GeForce 6800 GS
    GeForce 6800 GT
    GeForce 6800 Ultra
    GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme

19. guapisimogenial

guapisimogenial New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600gt
    Thanks !!!!

20. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    wow, another newbie pulling a two year old thread out of the graveyard.... amazing.