Which part to upgrade? advice plz :)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jimdove, Oct 24, 2013.

1. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    Not "been into" the hardware scene since i put this box together back in 2010. Im far too lazy these days also so thought I would get some advice from you chaps :)

first up here is the machine

i7 920 overclocked to 4Ghz
    6Gb Tri Chan Ram
    Asus Rampage 2 Mobo
    GTX580

Was thinking of upgrading something after xmas, not sure which, the ram is looking a little low so have been thinking of adding more but that would messup my overclock (and im far too lazy to mess about with all that again lol) Reckon I should keep the cpu/ram/mobo combo and just chuck in a 780 or similar in the new year? Or would more ram be the critical thing? If i get new ram id prolly end up getting a new cpu as well.

I wouldve liked to just chuck in 24GB of ram but that would mean re overclocking and that dont appeal to me these days incase it expl0des! hehe. This current o/c is the most stable box ive ever had btw but i dont fancy going through all that again.

Advice plz :)

Thanks

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    more than 6gb would be nice, 12gb would be fine, you don't really need 24gb (unless you know you do).

Also, new gpu. your cpu is fine.

3. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Get more 6gb of ram, sell the 580, get an Asus DCU2 290X as soon as it is released.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Either that or wait for GTX780's prices to come down after 780ti is released.

CPU is fine, more ram is needed though.

5. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    Thats what i thought. Was planning on getting something like the 780 or equivilent next year.

If I add more ram i would need to reoverclock the cpu, something i really dont wanna do again lol

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would seriously consider the 290 before the 290x. it'll be a beast of a card for £350.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If the prices come down on vanilla 780's it will be a hard choice between the 780 and R9 290x. So far it appears the 780 may win the overclock battle, but we will see.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    290 will be a fair whack cheaper than the 290x and it'll run neck to neck with an overclocked 290x. 780/ti is another option.

9. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    im thinking of a 780 in the new year when they no doubt drop in price, however i am liking what i am seeing with the new ATI cards along with the fact that console games will be optimised for that particular brand which may or MAY NOT add some performance situations with nvidia. However, the horror i had with the 5970 left me with the taste of never wanting to go down the multi-gpu or ATI route again, the drivers back then were atrocious :) Im planning on just buying a mobo/ram/cpu and gpu over 2014. Just gotta decide when is the best time to do each, there are new intels out next year i beleive or was it a dream?

10. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    New video card for sure. I am going to move away from the pack here and say that 6GB is not too little ram, and chances are very good that you're not even using the lions share of that. I have 8GB, do graphic/visual editing and gaming and I've not cracked the 5GB barrier in usage. Go for the new video card :)

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    If you don't have a SSD yet either, it might be something to consider. Your rig is still pretty good really.

12. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I would only upgrade the GPU there. At the time of purchase, see how the card does in new games with your current setup, if you feel that it's being bottlenecked then... you can upgrade to haswell.

As for the card though.. either 290 (see overclockability at time of purchase) or 780 IF prices have lowered, otherwise, they ain't worth it.

Also, I don't feel the RAM upgrade is very necessary. At least not right now.

13. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    Hi lads, i grabbed a nice Tri chan kit of 12GB Corsair Dominator. Same everything as the old sticks so I didnt even have to fiddle with my overclock, old stuff out new stuff in. o/c stayed the same :D

Looking at the 780ti cards atm, waiting for the jan sales to see if anything happens pricewise. I do like the price and performance of the 290x but and big but I hate AMDs reference cooling, its always cheap and loud, as backed up by the reviews. I know there will be customer cooling on them shortly but still the horror of AMD drivers, I still have nightmares over the 5970 and ATI drivers from 09 (half the iossue was the terrible support for multi gpu) Im never EVER going mutli gpu again on either side of the fence.

I plan on staying at 1080p gaming for the forseeable future and suspect the 780ti will handle everything at 1080p with ease for a very very long time. Would this be a wise choice? I know its expensive but the stock coolers re from titans are they not? and quality bits of kit.

The most the new GPU would be pushed will no doubt be Star citizen, but again itll be 1080p.Or the Oculus Rift. If i spend 500 smackers on a gpu I will not upgrade again until 2020 :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    <heavy sarcasm> Yep totally hear ya. After Netburst I vowed I would never touch another Intel CPU as I just knew they would never improve thier game, (I still get nightmares/flashbacks today). <heavy sarcasm>

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  15. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    they still have major issues with micro stuttering/ proper profiles for multi gpus in games. Both sides. Whats your point?

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My point is it's been 5yrs since u last used a set of AMD drivers.

Things change.

17. Syidi

Syidi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780
    this...:thumbup:

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I just loled

19. BigAlBeast25

BigAlBeast25 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI OC
    GPU and SSD if you don't have one. 780's going below 500 usd now.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    I wont comment on the rest, but their microstutter "fix" is half assed