Which part of motherboard controls fan voltages and how?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TDurden, Jun 29, 2017.

1. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Do you know which part of motherboard control fan voltages and how? currently I run two voltage controlled fans on single motherboard header and plan to add one more via another y splitter cable (matx mb has only two chassis fan headers).

Fan headers are usually rated at 1A, so three fans shouldn't be a problem, but those I have are voltage controlled ones and not PWM ones and in electronics voltage is usually reduced via resistors and resistors get hot (all the voltage has to go somewhere). I kinda worry more about heat and not so much about exceeding 1A which shouldnt happen according to fan spec sheets and tests I've seen.

OR maybe Im wrong and motherboard produces fan DC power from PWM signal simmilar to what VRMs do for CPU power? Ie instead of using some kind of resistor to make say 9v from 12v, instead MB runs the same PWM power signal it would send directly to a PWM fan through coil/choke an capacitors and make a smooth power for voltage controlled fans without generating much heat in process?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017