1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which motherboards support automatic memory timing and frequency OC?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Præses, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    Quick question: Is this only available on the Asus Crosshair Hero boards? Other Asus boards as well? Do other brands have a similar feature for X470?

386SX likes this.
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    I think your best bet is to go to the Manufactorer's motherboard official webpage and forum if the have a forum and read and / or ask there for the motherboards you would like to know with such features they support ie ( Automatic memory timings and Frequency overclock ) , you will find the correct answers that way. Good luck !

Regards: Chispy

3. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX970
    I own an ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Gaming, which has those profiles (something like "D.O.C.P. Profile" I think where you can select an automatic CPU OC of say 20% and the like). But because my board cannot set RAM timings correctly, I never even tried to use those profiles.
    Funfact: I checked once and those profiles for RAM went only to DDR4-2933 while I use 3200 RAM, so you have to set it to manual anyway when using RAM this "fast". :rolleyes:

May I ask why do you need it? I always thought you do OC the manual way because boards "automatic" settings always (or most of the time) mess up the values. Did that change?

Btw.: @OP: GFX in your sig: is it the OC version or the standard? I own the OC one. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!! *lol*

EDIT:
    No offense meant, but why shouldn't he ask here where new HW is tested on a regular basis and there are a lot of "tech nerds" (myself included) who may help him? When thinking about it I would say it could be better to ask here than on say ASUS' forums, because if you have a board which has issues, you will reg in your manufacturer's forum to get help. But that does not mean you are experienced in any way.
    On G3D it may be true not all people here are complete tech nerds and probably some have difficulties to find the POWER ON button. But if you register here I would say you have a definite interest in new technologies, because why should you otherwise register? And on ASUS' forums (or any other manufacturer's forum) you only get advises for ASUS or any other manufacturer's ... boards, here you may find all kinds of users with all kinds of boards.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    I was hoping that it'll help me to find stable memory overclocks easily - even if I had to manually tweak the very last bit. I ordered the Prime-X470 Pro yesterday, so I guess I'll have to go read up on some D.O.C.P. profile settings of other boards if this one doesn't have it.

PS: I also have the Asus Strix 970 :D and I used to game on a 386SX - was very jealous of 486DX owners, haha.

I also don't get why people comment this. I mean I know Chispy is a great overclocker and respect him and all - but his comment didn't really add any value to the thread. I always google first and check manufacturer's websites before I ask a question in a forum. If I found the question through those ways I wouldn't be asking the question in a knowledgeable community in the first place. I come here to ask for people's first-hand experience - especially with new features. I don't even know what the feature on the Crosshair motherboard is called - all I know is that it trains the timings automatically which would take a lot of effort out of tuning it manually, something which I have very little experience with! :p

5. germz1986

germz1986 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC
    I have a MSI x370 gaming pro carbong (what a mouthful that is). It has alot of these pre set overclocked ram settings. Both frequency and timings. While they do work, they are hardly close to optimised. It has a preset for 3333 which my ram will do. but its automatic overclock is horribly lax timings. Get the Ryzen DRAM Calculator application. I have the flare X 3200 kit. I have gotten it to 3333 with tighter timings using that app.

6. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    Thanks, someone on Reddit also recommended it - will definitely give it a shot once I get my new gear :)