Which MB and Memory?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by blitz72, Jan 14, 2018.

1. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Howdy all. As you may or may not now. I am now the proud owner of a Ryzen 1800X thanks to HH and AMD. Anyhow, what are some decent MBs out there and memory? I've been doing alot of reading and looking. Figured I'd pop in here and see what you all recommend? Also looking a AIO for it. Not really looking to push it too much. Got some ideas but just curious as to what you all might be running and how the updates and such are coming with the memory configs and such. Thanks for any advise/input.

---Doug

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080
    One of the best motherboards for the money is the Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming. This is easily a better option than the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, which is around the same cost. The Asus board has a much better BIOS as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...132989&cm_re=asus_x370-_-13-132-989-_-Product

Ryzen loves fast RAM. You should look into getting the Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3466. It is guaranteed to be Samsung B-Die.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=corsair_ddr4_3466-_-20-236-190-_-Product

3. sunn

sunn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 TI
    Im guess your'll get quite a few differing suggestions for mobos.

I'd vote for Gigabytes' AX370 Gaming K7 (or maybe the Gaming 5, NOT the K5) (nice job Gigabyte with the naming scheme) started with the Asus X370 Pro Prime, found the Gigabyte is far nicer, behaves way more consistently.

Some negatives as always, the BIOS isnt that nice to use, and not as many options as the Asus (not that i used those extra settings anyway, and the Asus BIOS far nicer to use too)
    Seen a few problems with the on-board audio, i use a Xonar, so cant comment.
    Layout, USB 3 header is in annoying position i find.
    RGB (unless you like RGB)

Some pluses, the Gigabyte board seem to be pretty good with RAM compared to some.
    Dual BIOS, with all the updates, nice to have a backup.

Then as above, Samsung B-Die RAM, look for 3200+ CL14, good inaction its B-die. I've got G.Skill Trident-Z (F4-3200C14D-16GTZ) @ 3333 CL14, but its part of the silicon lottery.

Arshad Hussain likes this.
  4. Lukart

Lukart Member

GPU:
    Waiting for the next Gen
    I would say the X370 Taichi is the best thing you can get right now for a top of the line Ryzen, but might be a bit more expensive..

5. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Hey all. Sorry it's been a while. Some personal stuff came up. Anyhow, had to cut down on a few things and this is what I have come up with(Pushing my budget a lil but what the hell, lol). I've been reading and reading all kinds of stuff(reviews and such) and hope this looks decent.

[​IMG]

I was also thinking about this MB... Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132988

chispy likes this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Looking at that memory price makes me shed tears of blood. I hope that Deepcool fan is worth that price because I thought it's a cheap manufacturer (at least the AIO from them I bought for myself was far cheaper than competition).

7. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Looks pretty good to me.

Enjoy!

blitz72 likes this.
  8. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    That's for 4 of those fans, not just one. Three for the top as exhaust and one for the rear out. Gonna put the aio in the front. Yeah those memory prices are horrible (sad face).

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    It certainly explain everything if it's a pack of 4.

Doesn't Fractal Design S come with two Fractal 14cm fans? They might be better than those Deepcool fans. When buying fans separately I only buy Noctua fans, but I did put to use the Fractal fans that came with my Fractal cases. I haven't got any complaints about them. Will you fill the rest of the fan slots with them?

10. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Yeah it does. I would buy better ones but just can't afford $20+ fans. These deepcools seem pretty good from what I've read. I do plan on using the 2 that come with it, one on the bottom and I think one will fit in the front below the aio. I hope it all goes as it's being planned in my head, lol.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O

I would like to make a few suggestions to help you out. Change those corsair memory modules ddr4 Cas 16 meaning they are Hynix memory ,ddr4 cas14 is Samsung B-die and that's what you want in your Ryzen built ( you do not want hynix ram as it could be troublesome ).

Instead for a few dollars more at $219.99 get the G.Skill FlareX ddr4 3200 cas 14 warranted to work flawlessly in Ryzen as it is Samsung B-die memory made for Ryzen.

Here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

Motherboard i would go for a fully loaded X370 motherboard at $99 Dollars please get this x370 mobo instead of that B350.

ASRock x370 Pro4

Here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157800

Everything else looks good :) , go for it and if you need help please do not hesitate to post any question on my thread " The AMD Ryzen all in one thread " Here - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...-tweaking-cooling.412876/page-82#post-5518937

Lots of helpful information and knowledgable people always willing to help. Enjoy it your new built !

blitz72 likes this.
  12. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Hey thanks for pointing those out. I had seen that memory b4 but wasn't on sale(thanks for pointing that out. I did want to get a x370 board but wasn't too sure about the "cheaper" ones. I'm gonna update my cart and get the ball rolling I think, before everything goes back up or goes out of stock..... Thanks again for pointing those out and the info. :) Just noticed that was the new board that HH just posted about. Wasn't listed when i put this cart together.... Niiice! :)

chispy likes this.
  13. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Just updated my cart with those two items and it even saved me like $20ish bucks!!! Awesome!! :D

chispy likes this.
  14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    Lucky for you those G.Skill FlareX are on sale right now :) , that ASRock X370 PRO-4 motherboard it is the newest one from ASRock as Hilbert just posted today and it was released a few hours ago should be a great x370 mobo as i can vouch for ASRock stability and quality highly recommended.

See :D you even saved some bucks with much better hardware options. Go check out at newegg and start this built , awesome hardware you got there that will last you for years to come !

* Please post some nice pictures of your built once you get your hardware*

blitz72 likes this.
  15. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Still too much but alot better price!! Been eyeing them but they always stayed up there.... ASRock is a good brand. I have had a few of them and never had any issues. I am sooo stoke to get this build done. Thanks a million again kind Sir.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Dont get that cooler, its loud as hell and the only thing saving it by cooling.

Get h115i pro instead or Fractal celsius s24 or cryorig a80 or that's about it.

Mobo vote for x370 taichi too, and some cl14 3200mhz ram :)

blitz72 and chispy like this.
  17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    Memory modules pricing is insane at this moment in time :/ , and i do not expect to see those prices coming down any time soon sadly :( .ASRock Rocks ! You are welcome blitz72 , enjoy it.

18. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Checking out now!! :D Will for sure be posting pics when I get this built. You Sir have a great rest of your day. I'll b baaack(typed in his best Arnold S voice lol)

19. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC 1070 ACX3
    Ok so I'm hold up again..... Still gonna get that ASRock mb, can't really afford the taichi.. Got the ram in check with the ones chispy found. Have u used the cooler or know of someone that has? I have read a lot of good things about it. :confused:

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ive read a lot of reviews too, and its super loud.

I was thinking to replace my h90 and in the end came to conclusion for those 3 mentioned above. Best was h115i - also the quietest.

Cooling nothing really special, any other Corsair would be better and more hq. Seen a few at amaozn and newegg saying this clc240/280 has high failure rate..
    Imo just like by their GPUs.

Well, you can always rma later if something goes wrong.

chispy and blitz72 like this.