Which is better in Performance for AGP (ATI 3850 or 7950GT)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mad-Man, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    I'm needing som info on both cards on which has a better peformance out put to play these newer games. So I'm wanting opions on the better video card to go with to extend the like of my AGP based system a little longer. Thanks.

2. dipanzan

dipanzan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    definitely worth getting the HD3850

becuz it has dx-10/10.1 support,sm-4 & ps-4

3. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    The 3850 is approximately twice as fast. Maybe more.

4. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    Ok thank for that but what about the all the problems I have heard of in these cards. Are all these problems just here say or not. Do really half to download a hotfix to make the card run right or can you download the newest CCC from ATI and fix all issuses. (That CCC means Catalyst Control Center).

5. dipanzan

dipanzan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    since the 3850 which u r inquiring is an AGP version-I m afraid u v to work around with some hotfixes...but on the other hand...it is jst like installing the regular CCC:)

6. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    Are those hot fixes easy to find on the ATI/AMD website. What is the hot fixes for if I may ask. Thanks.

7. Loster

Loster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 2080TI
    newest AGP Driver (hotfix):

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=31625

i have the AGP HD3850 in my second machine with a AMD64 3700+ ,2GB RAM and vistax86 as an OS.

This card is pretty good. I've had some problems with bsod and lockups at the begining. I had to set the AGP rate from 8x to 4x in the BIOS settings of the mainboad to fix the lock-ups, since then no one problem occurs.

I am realy happy with the AGP HD3850, i think there is no better AGP based graphic card out there.

I play prince of persia (2008) with an fps average of 20. (15 - 25 fps) in game setting to max at 1280x1024 resolution. And an average of 25fps (20 - 30 fps) in game settings on lowest at 1280x1024, but dont blame the HD3850 because i think the singlecore AMD64 is the bottleneck.

The same with Dead Space. fps average at 20 on max settings, and 25 on lowest in game settings. It must be the CPU.

I was searching for an AMD X2 for the 939 socket, but no luck at that.

No problems with HD 1080p movies as well. 0 percent CPU usage while watching high definition movies (DXVA compliant of course).

I think its the last card for AGP systems that was released though.

8. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    Thanks for the info. Hey if u are still looking for a X2 939 CPU here is a good website to check out. The site is Pricewatch.com The have all the hard to find CPU's.

9. Jack.

Jack. New Member

Sorry for ressurrection this old thread, but i just bought an AGP HD3850 and i tried to follow the instructions not to get trouble with drivers etc..
    The hotfix download link is not working anymore..

But is it still needed to get that hotfix to get this card to work properly?

Any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance!

10. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 380 4GB

11. Jack.

Jack. New Member

Hi there Kinfa, thanks for the link mate!

Just another question..
    Is that version stable now and better then 8.3 or 8.5?
    As i see during the years of 2008 and 2009 people had some trouble even using the hotfixes..

Thank you again for your time!