Which headset/headphones should I get for gaming?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Herrasmies, May 4, 2009.

1. Herrasmies

Herrasmies Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon 5970
    Hello!

So, I've had my Saitek Cyborg 5.1 Headset in warranty for a long time and I'm going to take my cash out from the store and buy a new headset/headphones. I'm going to use these mainly for gaming, so if they are headphones, I'm going to buy a clip microphone with them. If you know any good clips, please tell me. I'm using them with my X-Fi Fatal1ty. Price should be around 100€, not much under since I don't want crap and hopefully not too expensive. They MUST be from these manufacturers since they don't sell any other here:

Creative

Logitech

Sennheiser

Terratec

Currently I've been looking at Sennheiser's HD 555 and Logitech G35. Any recommendations on which headset/headphones should I get?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Sennheiser - HD280's.

They are about $100 U.S.

3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Sennheiser HD650.

They are pricey but absolutely amazing.

Eth

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Go for the higher quality music headphones such as the Sennheisers. "Gaming headphones" usually have skewed responses that bloat the bass and mess up the imaging. These game "enhancments" are usually built into the desing to help with gaming sound but when you try doing any other audio task they don't sound very good at all. Not all "gaming" headphones have these type of frequency respose but many do.

Go for the Sennheisers...or other quality "music" headphones.

5. Herrasmies

Herrasmies Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon 5970
    Thanks for the suggestions. I checked them all out, but it seems that HD 555 is the best thing for me. I can say HD 650 are awesome, as I got to test them in London, but they are just too expensive. I don't really have to deal with ambient noise, so open HD 555 should be better than closed HD 280.

So, at the moment I'm getting Sennheiser HD 555 for 105 € and Zalman ZM-Mic 1 for 5 € to accompany them. I was just wondering if they are somehow outdated as they are released in the beginning of the millenium. Am I totally off the track or is this a good set? I think my X-Fi Fatal1ty should be good enough as an amplifier, am I right?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. Wu-TanG

Wu-TanG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6970 DirectCU II
    Got the same setup and love it ever since! ;)

7. ed6698

ed6698 Active Member

GPU:
    pile of crap
    I just recently got some 5.1 headphones. I was surprised that these are actually kinda good. I don't use headphones very often and I know there are better out there, but these work for me for when I do use them. They also have European ordering.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efhpa2/home.aspx

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
  9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +130/+430
    I recommand you get some Ultrasone HFI-780(160-170 at RMCAudiodirect.com). I use mine for gaming all the time. Also Just use a clip on mic.

Then You can use Cms3d Headphone mode if you need to. With speakers settings set to 5.1 and on creative control panel un-tic sync to windows sound panel, then put it on headphones in the creative control and do the settings for CMS3D headphone.
    Which does a better job then 5.1 headphones, because of the headphones sound image. I know as I used to own nothing but 5.1 headphones prior to some Audio techicas AD700 That I used to own and these Ultrasone HFI-780 that I have.

10. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    Creative Fatal1ty gaming headset gets very good opinions - at least for the inexpensive headsets. I tried it once myself but felt the earcups were too small - but I had the same complaint about Sennheiser PC150 headset... But as a value buy the Creative headset is a good choice. On the other hand if you have cash to burn you could get the Beyerdynamic 79x headset.