Which graphics card should I get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by deltatux, Jul 20, 2011.

1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hey guys,

I have finally selected a card after hours of grueling battles between forum members both pitching the card they believe is the best. Both AMD and NVIDIA fought a valiant battle but only one can win the right to power my rig for at least 2 years.

The AIB that has been chosen after a painstaking search is: XFX (PINE Technology) from Hong Kong.

The GPU manufacturer that has been chosen: ATi Technologies ULC of Markham, Ontario, Canada

The card that has been chosen is the: HD-687A-ZHFC
    http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/GraphicCards/HD 6000series/6870.aspx?product=95607

Reason:
    I've never seen such fierce competition between AMD and NVIDIA in such a long time, it's both thrilling and wants me to kill myself deciding between the two. Honestly, I want to buy both, but obviously that's not a choice. The reason I chose AMD over NVIDIA is because of price, price and price. If the GTX 560 had a memory controller over 256-bit wide, then probably I wouldn't bother considering AMD, but that's not the case. The HD-687A-ZHFC can be had for C$172.69 at DirectCanada.com compared to NVIDIA's GeForce 560 requiring at least C$190.

Personally if I haven't found this XFX card, I would have gone for the ASUS GeForce 560 ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 card.

Like I said, both AMD and NVIDIA fought a valiant battle but AMD managed to bring NVIDIA down in terms of pricing. NVIDIA did win in better Linux support, but I can't really justify that with a $20 difference as I don't game on Linux that much to begin with. Though, I do wish that AMD did make their Linux drivers a lot better. NVIDIA's CUDA support was also interesting but once again, that feature is really a "cherry on top" thing and since my main prerogative is gaming, the $20 saved is still better.

Once again, thanks for the votes guys, I was really close to go back to NVIDIA as my last NVIDIA card was the NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT.

So as long as DirectCanada.com can keep the ~$170 price for the XFX card, I'm getting it. Else, the ASUS GeForce 560 card is my fall back.

The winner's store page can be found here:
    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180BD7578

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    deltatux

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Enjoy it, the 6870 is a great card.

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    There 2 kind of people in this world, those who prefer Nvidia, and those who prefer AMD =)

Great card, hope it will serve you well.

God, give me patience to wait for Bulldozer, so I can get a proper vid card along with it!

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Booo :p. I knew from the very start you would go with amd

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Seriously dude, I was very much sold on the GTX 560 as I stated in my long reason why, but the price difference no longer justified the price premium I have to pay to get the NVIDIA card.

Like I said before, if I didn't find that XFX card at $172, I would have went with the ASUS GTX 560 card.

deltatux

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Good Choice :)

7. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    That's a really nice price tag on it :banana:

8. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580
    Good man, the 6870 will serve you well.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Not sure, for me 560 ti's do a better job for me then the 6870 did.
    And alot of dual gpu issues went gone for me, crysis works now and gta4 with SLI.

But faster, i'd say equal. I get around same fps in BC2 with my 560ti's and 6870's.

But this was my experience though. If he's ever want to go dual gpu i'd say get the 560ti. But i see he already choose for the 6870.
    Not a bad decision it's a great card overall enjoy it :)

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Yeah the XFX card is pretty cheap, also here in Holland. I payed 300 dollars for each of them. And a month or 2 later the price dropped insanely.
    And now it's $200 (black edition)

11. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580
    I was refering to the non ti gtx 560. The gtx 560 ti has similar performance to the 6870, but overclocks very well, however same can be said about the 6870.

Both cards are great, for most people it comes down to brand preferance imo.

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Congrats on your new card! I just hope you are truly happy with the drivers and performance. I guess it is an added bonus you being a Canadian decided to invest in a Canadian founded company (ATI). A little history lesson for you about ATi. They were originally formed out of a car-garage in Toronto, Ontario by two men. Yes I know AMD bought the name but that is all irrelevant as the ATi team is still making the band even though it swings under the AMD logo now!

I personally sworn off ATi only because of my bad experinece with the RAGE II. I know that was many years ago but the sour-taste is still in my mouth to this day! I have also never been a fan of the ATI's HUD.

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, yes I know ATi's history quite intimately, I've talked to several ATi people prior to the acquisition (my uncle knows people there). I was not a fan of the acquisition at the time.

Personally, I don't care about the manufacturer as long as it can do what I want for the price I need it at.

deltatux

14. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Good for you. If price is what matters then yeah, it's a right choice as every review shows that they are pretty much in the same performance category.

15. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    Pffff... Sell the free copy of DiRT3. :D

16. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    try amazon, free shopping :)

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    huh ?
    did the op bought the card¿¿???
    ah,yeah congrats on the new card
    lulz you know how to make a thread grow longer...
    deltatux master of hardware suspense

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Naw man, keeping that DiRT3 since the card I'm getting cost $170 which is excellent news for me and comes with it.

Not yet, maybe tomorrow ... just maybe depending if I can time it correctly so that I can wait until my next paycheque (not the coming up one) to be able to pay off the graphics card (a just in case, the coming up one can def. cover the GPU and my Cooler Master case costs).

deltatux

19. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  20. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    Were you on a budget? Because i wouldnt of gotten that.. You should of got a 5870 which costs like $20 more and outperforms it..