Which dedicated physx card for msi gtx 580 lightning Xtreme edition?

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by wenimin, Oct 28, 2011.

1. wenimin

wenimin Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
    Hi, i looked everywhere before my first post ,but didn't found what i was looking for exactly.
    i'll receive my new GPU in 15 days (MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition 3Gb)
    and i want to use a dedicated physx card, without buy a new one ,i want to use one of my old ones ,i have 1 msi 9800 gtx+,1 asus gtx 470 and 2 msi gtx 560 ti hawk,time to wait the lightning xtreme i'm using the 560 ti hawk in SLI.
    i'm new in physx things,my only test was in medal of honor 2010(mp),i was playing my 560 ti hawk in SLI since maybe 4 month,then i decided (only last week)to try one msi gtx 560 ti hawk as graphic processor in nvidia control panel (1 of 2),and the other one as dedicated physx card (2 of 2),i got a little bit less fps but the game was so different in each details,smoke,dust,light ,particules,explosion,gunshots ..everything ...like a new level
    also the dedicated physx card had around more than 30 °C less than the SLI
    that's why now i want the best physx experience as possible

in case of using the gtx 470 or one of the 560 ti hawk as physx, i hope 850w (psu) it's enough
    i know the 580 lightning xtreme edition is powerfull,but if i can get more realism with physx dedicated,and keep all the power of the 580 XE would be nice
    most important to me is to be up to 50/60 fps ..and get this visual physx things..i don't care about 80 fps
    thanks if someone can help(advice) me
    excuse my english writting

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    MoH MP doesn't support PhysX. PhysX card can only give performance increase in GPU PhysX supporting games.

3. wenimin

wenimin Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
    @XBEAST ok, i was thinking too ,how come, because i never hear about physx in it
    then one card dedicated physx really changed the realism much better than the SLI
    but i still want to know if it worth i put one of my others card with the 580 Lightning XE,when it comes
    thanks for the info
    i just look at the physx games list and only the medal of honor:Airborne(in the MOH physx games) support it
    about the list of physx games ,i'll have to re-install Metro 2033 and see the difference..
    after all that i have to save money for one of the best monitor..when i read everything about the Dell U3011 it seems really nice,because i want to experience 2500x1600 even if i'll have to put the 580 XE in SLI

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Your GTX 580 is fast enough on its own. If you pair a highend gpu with a significantly weaker one it could actually slow you down.

5. wenimin

wenimin Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
    ok thanks, thats what i needed to verify

6. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Really?...

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That can't be right. MOH doesn't even use GPU PhysX it uses software PhysX which runs on the CPU. To answer your original question, the 9800 GTX would work just fine as a dedicated PhysX GPU. You would see a decent increase in games like Mafia II, Batman AA, titles that actually make extensive use of GPU accelerated PhysX.

8. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    I used to have a 9800GTX+ as a physX card with my 580, and I gained nothing games like mafia2 or Batman AA, all i did was put extra heat in my case and draw unnecessary power.... not worth it with a high end nvida card...... imho

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    A 9800 GTX is fine with a 580. Even an 9600 would work fine. That would be the minimum for a card like the 580. Below that and you're correct you may see a reduction in FPS. The PhysX does scale somewhat with the power of the dedicated GPU used.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's strange, as myself and several others have done extensive testing. Even using a 8800 with a TRI SLI 580 set up showed a gain in Mafia II...
    But since you're a skeptic...:)
    Mafia II 1920x1080 all ingame settings maxed.
    SLI 580's no dedicated GPU

[​IMG]

SLI 580's 470 dedicated to PhysX.

[​IMG]

I call that nearly a 50% increase in frame rates.

11. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    meh...Benchmark....... I never ran uber amounts of tests, just played the game with and without, I play with v-sync anyway and never dropped below 60fps so I was happy enough

12. wenimin

wenimin Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
    HeavyHemi,Li4m79(thanks for answers ,you two almost said the opposite...yeah i see PhysX is subtle..)
    i'll test with and without the 9800 GTX+, i think the GTX 470 alone was already too much hot then i'm sure it'll not satisfy me..and about the only few games who only use PhysX, i have none of them.euh.. only metro 2033 but i played enought with this one..(sometimes in the night with good headphone[KOSS] it scare me...i'm 38 years old.. ha ha ha..)
    and i don't feel to buy Batman AA
    since BF3 is out,i even dont play MOH so much
    yeah i have to find the best (mix) 580 and ??..or 580 alone without mess up the card.
    the card isn't arrive yet,i'm getting really crasy..maybe today..when it's arrived i tell you
    i'm tired with the noise of the 560 Ti Hawk SLI(x2)

ps:HeavyHemi i see you have 1200w psu,tht is the difference with my 850w about use the GTX 470 with the 580

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  13. SeeThruHead

SeeThruHead New Member

GPU:
    2x gtx 260
  14. wenimin

wenimin Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
    SeeThruHead_ thanks, i just saw the video from Linus TechTips few days ago on youtube

ok, i didnt come here since long...since there was a problem with the company who should send me the MSI GTX580 Lightning XE, i finally got it 4 days ago (i wait 1 month and 10

days instead of 6 or 15 days...i almost got sick,anyways...
    the card is a monster pfffiouu..pffff..easilly 20°C less than the 560 ti hawk when running big game ,no noise until you overclock it, it make every visual color and detail

different...ok..about physx i tried on Batman Arkham city and metro 2033
    the 580 lightning XE alone,with asus GTX 470,with msi 560 ti hawk,and with msi 9800gtx+,but maybe i have another problem but i didnt notice so much difference.... in Batman(fps

was around 61.1 or 62.1[maximum]and 54°C with OC,then i finally ran only the 580 untill i get a new psu ,other than my 850w [cooler master,Silent pro]because i have only 2x

6 and/or 8-pin power connectors and when i was using 560 ti hawk in SLI i used some Molex Peripheral connector but now i feel to not joke with power supply after read about

that on Guru3D because the 580 L XE take 8-pin...i still got some lag sometimes in batman..(when it's between 2 levels,time to start again..(1 or 2 secondes)time to me to get

the adequate power supply to connect a second GPU, i overclock the 580 lightning XE (it take it so easylly and can maintain above 60,70, and more fps in games without

PhysX..BF3 everything maxed out[ULTRA] between 57, most 62,66 and sometimes 85 fps..

again .. i try to write english as i can..

15. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I have a MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III as my main card.

I used my old XFX GTX 260 Black Edition as my PhysX card, I have only tried Batman so far, but it does a very nice job with the PhysX

16. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    The i8800GT pr -9800GT will do its jobl Also you cn chang it where you turn this feature off,, by clicking radio button.. amazing,, amp POWNZ :stewpid::stewpid::bang:

17. CrayonMirZ

CrayonMirZ Member

GPU:
    SLi GTX 680
    Did u sli those 580 LXE ?