Which cpu/mobo to go with?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Cokelizard, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Cokelizard

Cokelizard New Member

GPU:
    Nvidea
    My current computer is a five year old laptop so i'm looking to build a new gaming rig in about a month or so. I've got a 22" monitor and intend to go with an nvidea 260. I had originally intended to purchase an AMD windsor 6000+ at the recomdation of one of my friends, but then i saw the 7750 be.

As for which mobo to go with I'm pretty much clueless, I'd like to get one that would allow for good upgrade potential and SLI if i decide to do so later.

I had planned to spend between $150-$250 on the motherboard and processor but this figure is by no means set in stone.

Any suggestions on how to best allocate my money would be appreciated. I'm really not dead set on either of the cpu's I mentioned above so I'm all ears to anyone who has another suggestion.

2. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    If you plan on SLI you may want to look into Nvidia chipsets and get an E7xx or E8xx series cpu. Other than that you should wait for the AM3 sockets if you plan on the 7750. The 750a and 780a chipsets are ok but are becoming dated and may limit your overclocking.

3. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    after frying my winsor x2 6000 i went with the 7750BE , it will tide me over till i go phenom II . it depends on what your willing to spend

4. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    I wouldn't call them aging chipsets. Nvidia will probably come out with a new chipset with the advent of am3, but they might have the option of just switching the memory slots for ddr3 ones and the am2+ socket for an am3 one. 780a boards are just as good as the 790FX counterparts, except that they don't have acc which isn't even necessary with phenom II's.