Which Card Would You Pick

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DasFox, Oct 5, 2005.

1. NowayDude

NowayDude Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 7900GT 512 bliss
    Why not look for a cheap 7800GT?Now that is something to look at.
    If not the XfX will do wonders.Myne did

2. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I had a BFG 6800GT. I really liked it. I like that it comes overclocked and they also carry a lifetime warranty. More bang for your buck IMO.

3. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    Because my motherboard is AGP, I'll do the PCI-Express thing later, that's next on the wish list to build a 64x system.

mr_allroy XFX has a lifetime warranty too:

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showWarranty.jspa?regionId=1&productGenerationId=40

CRAP CRAP CRAP, I get my mind set and ready to get a card and I can't find any in the model I want that have VGA/DVI they are all DUAL DVI, :(

Well true they come with adaptors, but I'd rather just find the VGA/DVI model.

Anyone know where I can find a XFX GeForce 6800 128MB DDR PV-T40K-NA?

THANKS

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  4. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD

5. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    Well, with his new system (that Barton 3000+) 6800GT is just the thing. Trust me. I'd go for the Leadtek, it has a supreme cooler. I was going to get that, but I found this Gainward to be cheapest of them all, and it's factory tested to run 1100/400 clocks.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&model1=77&model2=70&chart=25
    That shows quite a difference, but I don't think that's too precise, at least the 3dmark 05 is all wrong. See for yourself.

Upgradin to 6600GT isn't really wise anymore, it gets old pretty fast. But if you want to save the money... And 7800GT is the best price/value now, but if you don't want to upgrade to PCI-E system, get 6800GT.

"Or running a GT even on a CRT monitor at 1024x768 will still have better graphics over the regular 6800?"
    You know the resolution isn't the only thing you can change?

6. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    A few years back I would of considered a Gainward, but now they have fallen out of the gaming scene so bad that NewEgg and ZipZoomFly won't even carry them anymore, they have a hole for now they need to dig out of.

Leadtek are great, but I like that lifetime warranty to keep a second rig either going for the kids or to sell.

Now the reason I am only looking at the XFX is because they carry the lifetime warranty and I don't plan to keep this rig forever. I'll end up getting a new rig in about a year, so a year old box that's well taken care of I know I can still get a little for it, or pass it on to my kids, either way. If I want to sell it I can transfer that warranty to someone else and get a few bucks back.

Is there a big leap from 6800 to 6800GT and if so where is the difference seen, or felt, so I know with what I am dealing with here. I mean I'd hate to spend twice as much for the GT to not really be able to see or tell much of a difference.

THANKS

7. Gubb

Gubb Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX260 c216
    im pretty sure you would notice the difference with AA and AF enabled. that puts it more on the GPU instead of the CPU. also your monitor, what kind of resolution would you typically be running? if its a 19" LCD like mine your gonna be capped at 1280x1024 and the 6800 GT may be a waste. unless im mistaken...?

8. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    While I don't know about the difference between the 6800 & the GT model I'm sure you'll like the XFX brand. My new XFX 7800GTX is top-notch.

9. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    I'm running a NEC MultiSync 19" CRT at 1024x768, but later I will get a Flat Panel LCD, but regardless of monitor my concern is paying twice as much for a GT worth it or not?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  10. jerin222

jerin222 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA - GeForce 7800GT OC 256MB
    Evga Is also lifetime warranty. Don't know if anyone posted this already did not read anything but the first post.

11. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
  12. Gubb

Gubb Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX260 c216
    well going off of the VGA charts at tomshardware here , i can see that the 6800 only has 12 pipes compared to 16 for GT plus the core and memory clocks are lower. the benchmarks show the 6800 performing fairly well except at high resolutions and with AA and AF enabled. only 128MB RAM would definitely play a roll in that. whether its worth it is up to you. seems like the GT would still be good in a year while the non-GT may be getting outdated with the games out then. your only playing at 1024x768 so the non-GT would be perfectly adequate but if you do upgrade to an LCD and/or want alot of AA+AF goodness, id say the GT. look around for some deals. you could trying buying one from the "For Sale" forum here or check anandtech forums, they have a "hot deal" section that i frequent.

best of luck!

edit: fixed spelling, also if you want to enable HDR in future games the GT gives you more headroom. another thing to consider...
    2nd edit: made link more noticeable :)