Which brand has the best drivers?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Vood007, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    The reason why i did not move to a dedicated sound card yet are stories about bad driver support under W7. So which of the current sound card makers has the most professional and serious working and looking drivers/apps? I totally hate toys-4-us like looking applications with limited functionality but bloated to dozens of megs because of skinning. I also hate using 3rd party hacks to get anything working. It would be a great help to know how frequently updates are released and the size of the driver package download plus used disk space after installation. Screenshots of apps like the mixer or equalizer would be absolutely awesome. Thanks in advance guys!

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    For me I would have to say Asus, there drivers are like 10mbs in size, I havent had any issues with my Xonar STX or the Xonar HDAV1.3 I used to have in windows 7 related to drivers. Tho drivers updates are slow but it doesnt bother me much as I not having any issues to even worry about it.

Tho I didnt major have issues with the Auzentech Bravura in win7 either but there drivers are still bloated but not as much as Creative Drivers for their X-Fi. But never less it still bloated.Driver releases are slow as well, but as I mention I didnt have major issues to worry about it

Picture of Xonar Control panel, it can be made smaller with the down arrow toggle you see in by the EQ.

[​IMG]

3. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Thanks. Its this the control panel for all Asus cards or is there a difference for cheaper models? That SP/DIF out option looks interesting. What options do you have here? Is the card realtime encoding everything to AC3? even when gaming? If yes, are cheaper asus cards capable of this too?

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Creative driver suites aka Daniel K xfi UAA 1.5 pack is perfectly stable without any bloatware.. except its missing "what you hear"; i never had any problems because of it, fraps sound/video recording works just fine.
    I found it the stablest from all suites, even from official creative drivers..

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    All the Xonars share the same type of control panel.they all have DD live and DTS encodering, well the Xonar DS just has DTS encoding. For gaming you have DSGX2.5/GX mode, it has a feature in it that emulates eax5. Its not perfect but i find it does a good job.

6. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
  7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Drivers have come along way. Soundcard drivers seem to be like any other driver, some have issues and some do not. I have been testing alot of soundcards latley and the drivers have been great across the board.

8. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Both ASUS and HT Omega use the same C-media drivers, modified to fit their needs. From my experiance, I haven't had issues with their drivers.

Creative...the less said the better. Use modded drivers if you care about stability.

9. Uzito

Uzito Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 Black DD
    I'd like to mention that the DD Live encoding has a very annoying feature - it has an idle time. When the card does not play anything the driver(?) turn off DDL encoding after about 5 seconds and after another 5 seconds of inactivity it turns off the S/PDIFF completely. Both S/PDIF and DDL turn back on when the card starts to play something again, but with a slight delay.
    Each on/off switch produces an audible click.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If your simply wanting a decent card, with ok drivers for re-encoding 5.1 game audio to AC3, then the Asus cards will be do the job fine, i don't remember many issues when i was using it this way, but yes, as per above, the click when the audio stream is detected is annoying, so you have to keep low volume levels to protect your speakers, and also ears.

But the Asus driver's aren't without issues, for a start, the ones for my Xonar D2 haven't been updated since January, so don't expect regular updates, unless your ok using modded drivers.

There are also big issues with Wasapi event driven mode, but if your not planning on using it for movies, or music, then that shouldn't be an issue for you.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm pretty happy with my Auzentech Prelude (X-Fi), its a good compromise between quality and function.
    Basically, very good sound but it can be beaten, top class functionality.
    This uses drivers based on Creatives X-Fi series.

If you havent got an expensive hifi, the X-fi Crystalizer can really help.
    It supposedly boosts the leading edge of signals (I want to know how you can boost the leading edge of a sine wave lol) but it does indeed improve treble on soft dome tweeters and imaging is "vastly" improved.
    It also adds a bit of depth to the lower bass.
    It is configured with a slider so you get to choose how much effect you want applied.
    I'm currently using it (set to minimum) as my current speakers are soft dome tweetered(tm), I like the effect.

There is one issue that was only solved by using Daniel Ks drivers.
    About once a week it would suddenly squeak its head off with white noise in a really strange way and after, the speakers would be all swapped round.
    Really unpleasant when my amp was turned up!
    Changing the speakers to 2.0 and back again returned it to normal operation.

Other than that issue, its a pretty flawless piece of kit.
    Remember what to do if you get that squeak.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Soundcards are like any other add in card. Some will have perfect stability and others may have issues. Depends on the product and your configuration...

13. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    So, finally went with a Titanium. Software is better than i thought. And what should i say.. It sounds sooo awesome. So warm and smooth and wet compared to my via onboard crap. I am so happy the center speaker of my 5.1 headset does not sound like a sick cat puking into a trashcan any more. Unbelievable. Now someone tell me what current games have real good audio? I know audio in GTA is done very well, any other to recommend? Audio is usually much ignored in game reviews, no?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Most of the bad issue with CL drivers were in the past with older cards. There newer drivers for the new OS' have been really good.
    I had a chance to check out the drivers on the New Titanium HD and they were stable and solid.
    Battlefied: bad COMpany 2 has some great audio in it..
    There is a big difference between good soundcards and cheap onboards.

Enjoy.