Which 460 should i get?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JohnRay, Aug 11, 2010.

1. JohnRay

JohnRay Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512 DDR3
    When would we expect to see the 485/95s?

And do you think that they would actually lower the price of the 460, or just be priced higher than it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  3. flo325

flo325 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 460 1GB 900/4200
    I had the Palit and couldn't get it stable above 850 even with voltage.

The evga 1gb sc is at 900 mhz and 4200 mhz on mem and is rock stable. But yes, the fan does have a whine, but only comes on when you're running something like kombustor, i dont hear the fan at all when playing bc2 or sc2.

4. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    i have the palit sonic non platinum and it is no good at 800 MHz core with stock voltage.

5. Halli

Halli Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX465 Bios 470
    Go with a 465 that way you have a gf100 core.

6. flo325

flo325 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 460 1GB 900/4200
    Well that's a first. Someone recommending 465 over 460.

7. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    He owns one ;) (Or so the sig says :p)

8. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    this one got me by surprise. it goes against everything I've read everywhere. :3eyes:

9. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    Iam a guessing Halli is thinking core VALUE. GF100 is the Enthusiast core while GF104 is lower mainstream core.

10. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well from what I have seen, and I looked at maybe 15 diffrent reviews regarding both 460 and 465.

The 465 is always faster at the same clocks, problem here is the 460 seem to OC 850-925 without heat becomming an issue where the 465 seems to stop at 830-860 and here the FAN becomes an issue.

I have seen OCed 465 @ 860 vs OCed 460 @ 900 and they are neck by neck at these clocks, in one title the 465 has 2-3 fps higher where the 460 has a bit higher min fps and in the next title the 460 have a little higher max fps where the 465 has higher min. They are very very close, the diffrence here and wich swinged me a bit is that the 460 is like 10 degrees cooler, and on some models even more wich means less fan noise and when going SLI that is a MAYOR MAYOR thing for atleast me comming off a 4870x2 wich drives me insane sometimes :p

I'm personally looking at the gigabyte or msi cyclone model, not really sure wich model I will get but it depends mostly on the fan noise since I think both will reach 850-900 on C fairly easy wich puts it at the maximum OC performance of a 465 anyway.

11. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    Not quit sure what you are saying. 675 MHz is an overclocked 465. 607 MHz is an underclocker 460. A 465 Overclocked 11% should beat a stock 460.
    But at stock speeds the reviews Ive read have the 460 1GB version beating the 465 at my preferred resolution and QI setting.
    And do not buy the Palit Sonic.

12. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    Wait the New MSI N460GTX Hawk ! :D

13. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well thats a skewed way of looking at things.

The two cards ain't the same since well they ain't the same chip and they function diffrently.

The 607 standard clock on the 465 is arbitrary since the card is capable of much much more then that, so the only fair comparision is both cards at a respectable and MAX OC.

The 465 seem to OC to 800 easily and the MAX OC seems to lay between 830 and 860 wich is an extreme OC from 607.

The 460 seem to OC to 850 easily and the MAX OC seems to lay between 890 and 925 ( from all reviews I seen ).

Now the point of my previous post was to point out how close these cards perform once they hare OCed to a respectable level and a MAX OC, it is so close that you will get 2-3 fps diffrence in various titles wich the cards taking turns in beeing the winner depending on what the game engine favors, SP's or pure clock speed. The 465 is a clear winner when it comes to tesselation performance but that is pointless atm. While the 460 seems to run on alot lower temps meaning alot lower fan rpm wich in turn means less fan noise, even with the exact same fan solution. When it comes to SLI where these two cards ( atleast in my book ) becomes viable less fan noise and less heat but at same performance level is a clear advantage.

Follow my reasoning abit better now aye :)?

/edit

Reread your post get what your saying now. But the point is that at the clocks you described the 460 might beat the 465 clearly but the higher on the clocks you go the more it benefits those extra shader processors/ Cuda cores on the 465 and it becomes alot closer, so close that the only real advantage of a 460 is the lower heatoutput from the 104 chip contra the 100 chip.

I'll point you to 2 reviews that will lay down the raw data for ye :)

460 max OC

SLI 460 max OC

465 max OC

SLI 465 max OC

/edit

/edit2

Lol after rereading the reviews myself I'm leaning toward 465s again lol, especially when in SLI they shine with their minimum fps wich seems to always be a tad higher then that of the 460s. Then again less fan noise has its value aswell, so again I think the smart choice is highly OCed 460s when going SLI.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  14. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Borked up my editing, mod can delete this post.

15. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Lol 1000 mhz standard clock??

Hmm, when is this comming out and what will the retail price be :)?

Those in SLI would be :infinity:

/edit

Ah, they are clockable to 1000 mhz, thats still pritty crazy and it uses the Twin frozr fan solution. Might not be that much more expensive then since the 465 with twin frozr costs like 10% more then standard fan solution ones.

16. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    In my land this model cost : 289 Switzerland francs

Xe.com conversion = 277 $

She arrives end august/beginning September

17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I have a Zotac and it is pretty plain jane but it idles very cool and over clocks very well and is quiet.It barely goes above 65C under load.I can barely hear it above my Haf 932 case fans which are pretty quiet as well.

18. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hmm 277$ is abit more then I was hoping for :( more then 500 dollars for SLI.

I can get a gigabyte 715 mhz with their dual fan at 208 dollars atm, and the MSI cyclone for 218 dollars. Still 1000 mhz with the twin frozr is a sweet deal but a tad expensive. Hopefully that ain't the final retail price but wouldn't surprise me if it is very close to 280$ mark.

19. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 8800GT G
    well it depends.
    I know that all cards don't have any memory and VRM cooling, except for the Gigabyte and the Zotac AMP!. The Gigabyte has VRM cooling, but no memory cooling. The Zotac AMP! has both VRM and memcooling.

Personally, I am a big fan of Gainward since they have one of the best cores and cooling solutions, but with the GTX460 series, they do not include the vrm and memory cooling. They do offer one of the quickest GTX460, the GTX460 GoldenSample GLH, but they lack the VRM and the memory cooling. I've emailed gainward about this, but they say their cards were stressed very heavily but the temperature of the mem and VRM stayed under thresholds.

There are currently 4 GTX460 models with the highest clocks:
    1: Point of View TGT GTX460 1GB Ultracharged (820MHz/2000Mhz)
    2: Zotac AMP! GTX460 1GB (810Mhz/2000MHz)
    3: Gainward GTX460 GoldenSample GLH 1GB (800MHz/2000MHz)
    4: Palit GTX460 Sonic platinum 1GB (800MHz/2000MHz)

The POV has just been released and I cannot find any information about the cooling of VRM/memory. I also cannot find anything about the heatsinkmaterial. I know that Gainward uses copper for the GPU cooling plate and copper heatpipes and aluminium heatsinks.

I also know that Gigabyte's cooler is not the best of all coolers, but they do have the VRM cooling. Their overclock is also not one of the best. They offer a 715MHz clock speed while others are much higher.

Good reviews:
    1: Gainward: http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/reviews/reviews/gainward-gtx-460-gs-goes-like-hell-tested

Please note that fudzilla received a sample GTX460 for this review which does have the VRM cooling, but Gainward stated they are not present on the cards.

2: Zotac: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...60-amp-graphics-card-review-introduction.html

Preview of the fastest GTX460:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/rev...akes-povs-gtx-460-the-fastest-gtx-u460-around

To come back to the TS' question. Nowdays, all brands deliver good cards. It depends a bit what you think it is important. I don't mind the noise, I don't mind the whole bundle package that comes with it. Others think it is important to have as little noise as possible.
    I think cooling is superior to noise, because good cooling means longer lifetime.

20. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I am with both hands for Gigabyte!

I've got 2 myself and am SO happy... as a child!
    Cards are silent, cool and FAST, really FAST.
    And, yeah, overclocks amazing!

P.S. if you want 70% fan speed cap removed, flash to F2 bios, it's already in the Net.