Which 460 should i get?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JohnRay, Aug 11, 2010.

1. JohnRay

JohnRay Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512 DDR3
    Well ive waited nearly a month, and ATI doesn't want to lower their prices. After looking at how the 460s dominate SC2 (better than the 5850), which is my most played game currently, I guess Team Red looses another sale. Especially after i realized that things like PhysX are pretty cool and ATI doesn't seem to offer anything deal breaking for that money they're asking for. And since my GPU is definatly the bottle neck for my system, i want a powerful GPU to let everything fly.

I defiantly want a 1 gig version of the 460, and i was thinking about going EVGA since my last card was with them. However, ive noticed a few strange things on new egg with their cards like these two cards.

As far as i can tell they're the same?

Also, before i buy, Is there anything about to happen that might lower prices? or do you guys think that they're going to be pretty stable for the next few months?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. in2ition

in2ition Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460GTX 1GB OC
    Gigabyte 460GTX OC 1gb / MSI 460GTX 1 gb Cyclon. Better cooling, better OC, silence ( Gigabyte ).

3. adonay

adonay Member

GPU:
    GALAXY GTX 460 SLI !
    If i were to buy a 460 again it would be a MSI or the Gigabyte due to the cooler.

4. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    Everything I've read says that the reference cooler is probably one of the best designs in terms of cooling and quietness. The prices have already dropped a bit recently and Nvidia are already pricing it competitively so there's no reason for another slice this early on.

5. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I am thinkng of getting a GTX 460, getting tired of my hot temps on my GTX 260. I have a 8800GTS 640MB laying around as well. Wonder if I can get 200 for both? Hrmm...

6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    +1 gigabyte (h**p://images.ht4u.net/reviews/2010/gigabyte_gtx460_1gb_n460oc/wandler.jpg) nice one !

7. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Personally, I was going to wait until the "EVGA GTX 460 1GB Superclocked EE" became available here in the UK, but recent reviews about the fan noise aren't sounding too good (no pun intended.)

I may give Gigabyte a whirl, been seeing some good feedback regarding the 1GB version, although the cooler on MSI looks swish!

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I would recommend it, my idle temp went from 55c to 30c going from a GTX260 to a 460, generally it will idle around 10c above room temp.

9. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    That sounds great, my 260 idles at 45C currently. Only goes to 62 C at full load, but pumping out 45C all the time when it is summer time does not help my A/C much, lol. Thanks for the advice, just need to sell my other cards first. Guess its craigslist here I come, lol.

10. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Itis the warranty. Lifetime is more expensive.

11. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    The difference of the 2 EVGA 460s on newegg is that the AR model has a 10 year warranty if you register within the first 30 days of purchase(does not mean 30 days once you recieve it). The TR only has a 2 year warranty and is the reason it's cheaper but not by much. Most people who are upgrade regularly will find this to be good enough but I do prefer 10 yrs for only a few extra $$. If there was a big difference in price say $30 or more then the TR model would be fine for just about everyone.

I am expecting my EVGA gtx 460 1gb superclocked EE any day now. I think EVGA are better than most and can at times overclock like crazy. I've never had a issue with noise from EVGA fans like most, maybe because it doesn't bother me. I always crank my fans to 100%. I think just about any 460 no matter the brand will give all what they want. Which is performance/price ratio. Yes some may be a little more noisy than others and some will have a little better performance but overall I think everyone will be happy. Just get the one that suits your needs.

12. damric

damric Banned

GPU:
    HD 5750 925core/1350mem
  13. Ravenger

Ravenger Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC
    The Gigabyte is definitely a great card. I'm very pleased with mine, especially with the fan noise, as it's virtually silent. You can't hear it at all over my case fan noises even at full load - and they're not very loud. I'd say that and the MSI Cyclone are the two main contenders.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My MSI Cyclone GTX460 1GD5 is completely silent below 70% fan speed. Highest I've seen the temp go is 62C running F@H...

15. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    [​IMG]

ASUS GeForce GTX 460 Direct CU 1GB

I was going to go for a Palit Sonic Plat. Instead I ordered 2 of these, They were $50aud each cheaper than the Palit cards. (I like the cooler & color better. Apparently they overclock much better so 850mhz here i come :D ... hopefully). Just waiting on delivery :D

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 2080Ti FE
    When you take out your 3x GTX285's and replace them with 2x GTX460's you'll probably see a performance drop. The only thing that will be improved is your physx capability.

I would cancel your order and buy a 480 or better yet, wait till the 485's and 495's come out. Those will perform waaaaay better and run waaaaay cooler than the 480's

17. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Nah my sig is old, i have a somewhat downgraded system atm. 1 of the GTX285s went into my missus PC and another one has died, so i'm only using 1 atm. If i still had 3 i certainly wouldn't be moving to 460s :)

With all respect according to the benchmarks here at Guru3D, 2 x 768meg Vanilla GTX460s in SLI outperform a GTX 480 by quite a decent margin in all games but Metro 2033 while running quieter, cooler and costing less. The 460s seem like the better buy to me, especially once overclocked to 800mhz, they should look something like this:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/gtx460_071110174503/23744.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/gtx460_071110174503/23745.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/gtx460_071110174503/23747.png

Tomshardware: "The GeForce GTX 460 SLI configuration absolutely obliterates the GeForce GTX 480’s performance scores, landing a 26% performance coup de grace upon its big brother after continuously battering it with wins in every benchmark at every setting"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli-geforce-gtx-480,2694.html

I'd pick 2 460s over a 480 anyday.

18. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I bet they(nVidia) will bring out a 475 and 485 with 460's chip(gf104?). No matter what, the 460 is helping nVidia get a footwhole back into being the dominate graphics card. I only see good things to come now that they got a fermi card worth the price and performance.

19. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    They're the same. the difference is the guarantee. the TR model has standard guarantee, the AR model has lifetime.

20. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    AR is not lifetime, it's just 10 years. Although 10 years would seem like a lifetime to most lol. The TR is just 2 years.