Which 40 series would/will you buy?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fr33k, Sep 15, 2022.

?

40 series choice?

1. 4090

44 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. 4080

18 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. 4070

21 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. 4060

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. lower

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga 3080 FTW12Gb
    Same here. Seems like I just got the 3080's for 3 rigs not that long ago, and about month ago put a 3070Ti in a back up rig. They all do what I need them to do, and I really don't see much of a different with RT on with some of the games I play with these old eyes of mine. Peeps keep saying the 4000's series card are going to sell great. What I have been reading it doesn't seem so. Why I think this? A lot of peeps just got the 3000's, peeps that will buy the high end/cost gpu's are such a small percentage, no miners this time around, used card market, power supply issues, and inflation (these card do cost a lot). Been with green most my life, and since evga is gone (have tried others but was never happy with their CS, or hardware), will watch AMD this time around.

2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I'll probably skip the 4xxx series, unless prices come down significantly. Maybe I'll go with an AMD solution this time around, if the new Series is competitive and has a good price/performance ratio. I hear they may be going with a chiplet design, it would be nice if they could wipe the floor with Nvidia when it comes to performance, efficiency and price, so Nvidia may start to rethink their ways. Or maybe Intel could do it. Whatever, there needs to be better competition and better prices in this space.

Then again, I've been thinking more and more about giving up on high-end Desktop PC gaming altogether in the future, as I've unexpectedly enjoyed gaming on the handheld Steam Deck more than my Desktop PC the past couple of months. The Steam Deck is fun to play with, I can play anywhere and charging it consumes a lot less power than playing on a desktop PC, which is a big consideration with the expensive and constantly rising energy prices around here. If they come up with more powerful Decks in the future and the GPU prices remain as insane as they are, I may just fully switch over.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Solfaur and cucaulay malkin like this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    probably get an amd this time unless they go full retard with n32 pricing like nvidia with ad104.

4. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I guess Nvidia is willing to lose some marketshare this round, probably was a bad decision booking the expensive TSMC N4 fab...

5. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    this isn't just the fab, a 290mm2 die for $900 is mostly greed.

Undying and Cave Waverider like this.
  6. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Well Nvidia charged 700usd for 300mm3 die back in 2015 (gtx1080), with all the inflation and wafer cost, profit margin would probably be the same.

Now AMD need to do something aggressive to make Nvidia cut back on profit margin, so let wait for reviews. Though if AMD is only offering better rasterized price-to-performance and nothing else, thing would turn out like rx6000 vs rtx3000

7. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    and then launched 1080ti for the same price 9 months later,let's hope for the same.rdna3 having a really good launch, 4080 being slashed all the way to 600-800 where they belong, 4080Ti 20g at 1000.

8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Good things come to those who wait :D

pharma, Maddness and OnnA like this.
  9. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    My 308ti will be lasting me for a while
    Seems sad though that stupid nVidia 4000 series cards, overpriced and overpowered are named after a lady. Ada broke the internet, "It's the woman's fault" Or "Ada broke Moore's law" typical

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Is that a car?

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I'm curious to see if all the people who voted for the 4090 (33 right now) really end up buying one. Somehow I doubt it, since that would make the thread more alive than both the 4080 and 4070 threads :D

12. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    already made a reservation for the 4090 :D

pharma and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I just checked out of curiosity, right now here in Austria they only offer a reminder email service, no reservations yet as it seems.
    And even if I'd want to buy one, I'm not yet sure which one to get. Probably a standard PCB, would put it under a waterblock anyway. But still.

14. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I go for Asus TUF or FE and put a WB on it, I would run the card undervolted 99% of the time so no need for high-end OC model

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So does the TUF have a reference layout? What block do you plan on using if I may ask?

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It doesn't.

17. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I will get a Bitspower WB since I know a Bitspower distributor.

I don't know if TUF will use reference layout, probably not, Fyi FE is not reference board either. You will have to check whether the WB is compatible with your specific model.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah I figured it wasn't, thanks for confirming.
    Thought about going for Bitspower or Alphacool myself. Will have to wait though, since I do have to cross check first, as you said. And then I have to figure out where to get it, at times waiting for those blocks is a pita at times.
    So I guess I don't have to ask you which distri channel (etailer, amazon, wish, ali express) you use to buy your blocks :D

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 760
    I thought nVidia didn't allow preorders?

Would be cool to have the best stuff :)

I wonder how big the temperature difference will be between the cards that do have a vapor chamber and those who don't.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    I grabbed my 3090 on release date for €1500, although I use my GPU for work and gaming it's a bit overkill. A 3080 would've been the better way, but given that I needed a new pc at that time when the GPUs came up and the only GPU available was the 3090…

I don't use DSR since it messes with my 3 monitors and my work programs. 60 fps max settings for all single/coop games. 144fps on all competitive games. My pc will probably last another 2-3 years, especially with DDR5 RAM being “beta” with these latencies right now.