Where to start...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Deleted member 213629, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Wasn't exactly sure which section to post this in so apologies ahead of time if this isn't the right section.

I want to learn how to produce electronic music, ie trance etc... atm I'm starting school this Fall majoring in Music. Some of the classes I'll be taking cover electronic music production. I know it sounds a little nutty but it's something I've always wanted to learn to do but I just always laughed it off. Nothing's ever sparked my interest like this and made me say "wow that is what I want to do with my life" It's one of those things I want to do for the happiness of doing, not to make money or get famous or whatever... My question is; in the meanwhile before starting school, are there any well-known prod programs for people in my position that I can start with, I've got nothing but time atm...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Propellerhead Reason is very good and under $200 for the main program. The add ons/kits are needed once you get more into it. I highly recommend a dual to triple screen setup and higher end headphones and/or decent monitors (speakers).

Random story - my buddy got a Reason logo tattoo.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I've heard good things about FL Studio. I think that's specifically made for techno/trance-y stuff.

**Added**
    FULMTL is the techno guru so I'd trust him more than me. :) I've only used FL Studio a handful of times, and although it's great product it also costs twice as much.

Both have demos:

Propellerheads Demo
    FL Studio Demo

4. Thanks so much for that info! I'll be sure to check out that program and go about getting two more screens an the headphones then...

I'll definitely check out those demos...Thanks for the tips!

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes i agree Reason is a cool app. I've been using it since Reason1, currently at 5. Btw there is also 6 out.

Idk about music school etc, i didnt go to any school and i made a lot tunes in Reason.

I just went with my feeling and adjusted melodies/beats/fx where it didnt sound right. Although i admit im no expert when it comes to making melodies, so this is whats kinda holding me back a bit, but still its not that hard.

The only thing is you will need to get use to is all components, effects, playback rack etc, at first it may look a bit confusing. But once you know all that its like drawing a painting, you know what to use just need to think a bit how you want it to look.

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    These are badass monitoring speakers for $150. Although, you might be up late making music, so headphones might be better.
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV40.html

If you prefer headphones, theres many choices for monitoring. I personally like the Pioneer HDJ-2000, AKG K167, KRK KNS8400, Ultrasone HFI-580, Shure SRH440, Sony MDR V6, JVC HA-S500. In order by cost.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    A small MIDI keyboard might be useful as well. I got mine for about £35.

8. Yeah the school thing is more of a personal interest in wanting to learn more about all different aspects of music overall (just something I've always wanted but never really committed to until now), but other than that I definitely want to spend as much time as possible just learning by trial and error; self teaching as it were. You're right about "confusing" lol I took a few glances at some of the programs and equipment people use for prod and just went... yeh... this'll take getting used to; but it's worth it to me. Thanks for sharing btw :)

I'll likely be up late, and judging by the way my roomate reacts to a bloody movie playing after 9, yeah I'll go with the headphones lol I like that AKG I'll likely go with that, it's price is reasonable for me. The Pioneer's just a bit above what I can spend. btw Can I get away with just headphones for a bit or will I need speakers? Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Yeah and this is something I've also been trying to read up on, correct me if I'm wrong but can I start just with software or do I need external equipment? And is that for convenience or better quality or something vs software emulation? FULMTL you mentioned something earlier about kits and add-ons... is that sort of along the lines as this?

Also: Is it legal to implement/mix something copyrighted into your work, and post it non for profit onto the internet? I'm planning on creating original material but as you know there are some really great songs/tracks out there that really have turned into great remixes etc... but my question is regarding the legality of it if non for profit. I've been googling this for awhile but some people say it's legal some say it isn't it...

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Making a beat is fine with just a mouse, but melodies are a little easier with a midi keyboard than clicking in a window. You can replicate the melody exactly how you play it instead of tediously clicking on the grid until it sounds right.

As far as remixing goes, my buddy says you have to name it as:

(original name)+(custom name)Remix

then credit the original creator somehow when you post it somewhere. If you are using samples/clips from a movie, game, etc, then I don't think it matters because no one credits the source and you aren't using the entire source, just bits.

Also by add ons and kits, I mean like expansion packs for more modifiers, drum kits, effects, and samples. Once you get better, expansions could save you a lot of time and will allow you to do specific things.
    http://www.propellerheads.se/products/refills/

10. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    Ableton Live is also quite a nice program, but its nice to start in Reason and then mix your stuff in Live.

11. Gotcha, I'm definitely getting a keyboard at the end of the month then.

Thanks you so much for that info about copyright.. wasn't sure if I was supposed to "word" what I post a "certain" way but yeah looks like you're saying something like that, crediting and whatnot... even if I use samples I reckon it'd be nice to at least put footnotes or something that mentioned where they were from...some kinda credit

Judging by what you're saying with add-ons I guess I'll wait until I progress more...from what you're saying they'll come in handy... I'll make sure and start putting money aside for it...

12. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated! :)

13. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I don't know about programs but you will need proper equipment if you intend to go to the next level other than just playing around.
    FL Studio is one I know of and I've played around in, but it's not really enough without any addons which probably cost a lot of money. There's just not enough sounds and effects to go around.

14. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    TLDR
    This year I will start making music too!
    I wanted too recently, but my offshore job the last two years made that difficult because I was only off a few days a month or unless there was a storm.

When I went to Japan, it made me realize how much I really loved the doujin music scene. All I bought in Japan was a stack of new release CD's.
    I met many of my favorite circles (producers and singers) at the clubs and it has inspired me to start. Maybe one day I'll be on a set list at a club in Japan.

I plan to make breakcore, techstep, drumstep, deep/dark bass, hard trance, and more.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  15. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Reason is probably a great place to start. It's easier to get your head around than Cubase or Logic and I have always found it a more enjoyable program to use.

16. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Have been using Reason and Sonar, both are great and can connect to each other through rewire. But Sonar is quite pricey. I recommend Reason too