1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you host your pictures?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Ripshod, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    As the title suggests I'm looking for a free host with no size limitations. Photobucket isn't worth a mention. I've just tried postimage and came up against the old 'file too large' problem even though I've seen it stated that they place no limit. Help! :(

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    i use mostly:

1. Abload.de (great and fast, free account with a lot of settings, bandwith info etc.)

2. Imgur just google it..its nice with edit settings...

greetz Beta

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ive used photobucket for years,why is it so bad?

4. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    imageshak, tinypic, they dont give me errors

5. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Picasa, now that Google owns it. I use it mostly for archiving, but if I need to send albums to a couple people it's easy to do. For single images or stuff I share liberally, I use Flickr.

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    The most ANNOYING thing with some file/image hosting sites are when they ask you to type in the random & jumbled words which you can barely read.

In some cases I have to repeat it once or twice...

7. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    I'll look at all your suggestions. The reason I don't like photobucket, though they are reliable they like to resize my pics. ie, if I upload a full size pic (4000x3000) they resize it to 1024*768, terrible.

*edit*

It's turning out that al the free sites I've tried like to resize. So new requirement: the site must not resize the pics. Perhaps I'll have to pay for hosting, d**n.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  8. CDMC

CDMC Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX560 2GB
  9. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    If you want to be able to upload full size... you're most likely going to have to pay. Try flickr, they're pretty cheap, $25 annual fee I think, gives you unlimited storage.

10. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Run my own webserver. Couldn't find a hosting service with a TOS I could stomach.

//Svein

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Adjust monitor? ;)

I use my own :D

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Dropbox

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It's so annoying that it re-encodes all JPG's.

14. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    It would be nice if Guru started hosting pictures for members. Would be nice and convienent for us when posting build pics and so on. Also would be a nice place to just browse thru pics of rigs and other tech tid-bits:)

15. CDMC

CDMC Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX560 2GB
    don't bothers me:)

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Imageshack.us are pretty good now that their server isn't hacked on a regular basis...

Hilbert won't host our pics due to bandwidth and a few other reasons. We asked about it last year, but both he and FW were against the idea.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  17. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Ah, Didn't know it was already mentioned. Guess I see Hilbert's point, I'm sure it could lead to bandwidth issues as it became more popular.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There was another reason as well, something to do with the way the server is set up...can't remember exactly.

19. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    The main issue with hosting anyones content (excluding hosting your own content) is one of copyright licenses.

The hosting provider (alas) needs a perpetual, transferrable, non-exclusive license to your material, to be able to display it (transfer), and since they usually have very advanced backup routines (basically meaning it might take years before all archived backups are gone) it needs to be perpetual.

So far, so good.

But those exact terms also means that they can sell your material (without you getting a dime). This is what happens when you have the largest bully on the copyright playground becoming a "by the lawyers, for the lawyers" plutocrathic republic. Basically this perversion of copyright does not hurt big corporations, but it DOES hurt the little "one man" shops, who are not yet successful enough to have National Geographic fight their battles.

In the end, after reading the terms of service for all the major hosting setups, I decided I'd rather run stuff myself, because quite frankly I wouldn't trust any provider that thinks they can require me to fly to an obscure two-house-town in the middle of nowhere-in-particular US for "arbitration" should I complain. Especially since this is inside a country where human rights does not apply (not signed the treaty yet), nor other international law.

But I digress.

My advice for the fledgling photographer considering setting up their online displaycase, would be to A) read the ToS of the provider carefully. If you intend to sell your own photographs at ANY TIME in the future, get a lawyer to read the ToS for you. B) If, and when, you are 100% certain that the ToS does not limit your freedom to sell your photographs elsewhere, be sure to watermark photographs placed there heavily. And I mean so nasty that the selling value of what you've placed there is NIL, basically forcing customers to deal with you directly (and not do shady backroom handshakes).

If, however, you decide on hosting your own, there are a few prerequisites I'd suggest:

1 - Internet feed with static IP (and preferrably IPv6 feed). This is an absolute must.
    2 - ISP that A) allows you to run a server, and B) does not meddle with your traffic.
    3 - A dedicated box for the job, with a suitable UPS
    4 - A server OS setup

I'd recommend the following layout myself, but this is optional

5 - Run VMWare ESXi 4.1 hypervisor on the bare metal of the server (available for free over on vmware.com)
    6 - Set up a few VMs (if you intend on running for instance Gallery2):
    6a - An adminstrative SSH server. This is where you'll SSH in and be able to SSH onto the other servers (means you don't need to expose SSH on the actual backends towards internet for remote management)
    6b - A database VM. MySQL or PostGres. I'd prefer postgres.
    6c - An apache server with PHP, running the actual gallery code.
    6d - An Apsis Pound VM, that serves HTTP/HTTPS towards the internet. This is where you'll do first line defence against 90% of the spambots by refusing them service.
    6e - A Varnish cache inbetween the Pound and httpd, to cache most stuff (and serve from ram), and to filter away bots you don't want (and MSIE5.x & such)

If you want a different website as well, just run an extra VM with a HTTPD dedicated to it. Both varnish and pound can select backend based on what url is required (both by subdirectory and by host name).

And get yourself a nice shiny SSL certificate for your domain. I personally recommend RapidSSL Wildcard (Geotrust). Good value for money all round.

If you go the host-yourself-route, I can do a better writeup if interested. I did not "chose OS" for you inside those VMs. Pick linux/freebsd/solaris/windows/whatnot, based on what YOU feel comfortable that YOU can tune into security. And that you can MAINTAIN as a secure server OS. Your security will ONLY be as good as your grasp of the OS running, no matter how "secure" (or in many cases: UserHostile) the base operating system is.

//Svein