Whens BTX coming?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MM-K, Nov 2, 2004.

1. MM-K

MM-K Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1GB
    nt.

2. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    wrong section

3. Munky

Munky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 6800 / AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
    It was supposed to come out late this year, but mobo / case manufacturers aren't ready to make the expensive swap to the new formfactor - I don't blame them, intel can't cool their cpus so they introduce a whole new formfactor for everyone...

4. bigpawlu

bigpawlu Guest

it wont only help intels proc but help the pc world move onwards
    dont just hunk everything on 1 company
    btx will take time to get in because its a long process

5. Munky

Munky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Actually, Intel is pushing for BTX, AMD doesn't want to make the $$$ switch.

6. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    The ONLY reason Intel created the BTX form factor was to cool down its upcomming tejas cpu that put out 150W. That cpu has since been cancelled totally.

The fact is A64's dont work right on BTX because the memory slots are too far away from the CPU and the on-die memory controller has too much loss and noise when following btx standards.

So ya, it is ALL Intel.

7. bigpawlu

bigpawlu Guest

theres a review on neo seeker which streeses the point on how btx is an improvement
    im not saying it out of my intel inclination
    u on the other hand sorienor and munky are always always happy just bashing intel
    through btx even amd will improve not only intel its a design of the future

i quote it to save the trouble on how the reviewer
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Features/intelplatform2004/4.html

8. arnie

arnie Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    its strange that the standard intel helped to develop is incompatable with amd's, no?

9. bigpawlu

bigpawlu Guest

he doenst say about compatabilty he talks about a general improvement
    i bet if it were amd pushing it sorienor and munky would be the first to start chattering

10. arnie

arnie Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    i was just making a general point really, im not sure if people have picked up on it before

11. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2070S
    AMD cannot switch to the BTX standard, even if they wanted to (which they don't). The design moves the memory too far away from the processor, not a problem for Intel where there memory controller is on the northbridge, but with AMD it is integrated onto the CPU.

12. Munky

Munky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Actually, I wouldn't care if AMD went BTX too, but I'm saying that the move was backed by Intel only (why would I bash Intel anyways, I'm using one of their cpus aren't I?)

13. ElementK1

ElementK1 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 380/800 16 pipes, 6 vertex shaders
    I want it to come later than sooner. With the whole new upgrade to PCIX and new processors etc., 2004 is an upgrade year. I don't want to put more money into a new case, motherboard etc.

14. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    You know that stuff like this happens everytime something new comes out, computer wise at least. I'm talking about major stuff here, like a new processor, memory type, or in this case form factor. There are always drawbacks when moving on to a product that will, most likely than not, be the way of the future. I mean wasn't there this big fuss when they introduced the ATX form factor, or how about DDR2 RAM to make it more current. DDR2 has some drawbacks but you know that it's going to eventually take over.

15. eagle589

eagle589 Member

GPU:
    Gainward GS 6600GT
    hello dont u guys know that each mobo manufacturer put their cpu and northbridge at different places? I guess its just the same for amd though where they can switch the cpu towards the memory banks nearer? or maybe

16. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Yea, well, what's your point? I mean that doesn't have anything to do with the form factor. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you are trying to tell/ask of me.