When will there be a new driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by askbananpie, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Rubalvar

Rubalvar Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT
    I hope it's not more than 4-500€ and no more than 250W (if it's the same efficient as Lovelace).

2. cra3khead

cra3khead Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    People are waiting for RDNA 4, hoping it's good. This is Vega all over again :D

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    You mean Polaris all over again. AMD needs another rx580 8gb. The card was very popular.

Cryio and Rubalvar like this.
  4. cra3khead

cra3khead Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    The difference with Polaris was that AMD used Global Foundary's 12nm, which made them able to bring the cost way down. RDNA 4 is nowhere near Polaris; it will be an embarrassment just like Vega, but AMDelusionals view things differently, so my take is labeled crazy. AMD is focused on AI with the release of the MI350X and Mi400. RDNA 4 is simply to push products for OEM's and laptops, "allegedly" since now they're saying RDNA 3.5 will be used until 2027.

F2000 likes this.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    If RDNA4 can match 7900 XTX with RT off, I guess it will be ~700€ (or potentially even more).

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    8800xt will probably beat 7900xtx with rt enabled so that could be impressive if the rumored price of 500€ is true.

Im getting one :D

Rubalvar likes this.
  7. cra3khead

cra3khead Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    64 Compute Units > 96 Compute Units

:rolleyes:

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I bet it isn't.

9. illusiveman

illusiveman Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    If AMD is focused on AI what is nvidia doing ?
    If AMD fails to deliver a decent GPU at 500$, Nvidia will sure as hell won't. There is also Intel that could deliver a surprise with battlemage.
    I'm not AMDelusional I just buy the best price/perf and for the last years that happened to be AMD. Also I hate Nvidia and I would very much like it if my money doesn't go to them.

Tadeo, Chastity and Rubalvar like this.
  10. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    I said this before, but i could care less about any of these new/newer cards, unless these new cards have AMD Fluid motion for video feature back, I'm sticking with Vega cards forever. I have notice with my Radeon PRO w6600, when using Enterprise Pro driver 21.Q4, or May 2022 driver, the video quality looks way better than any other card i ever use, but with no amd fluid motion feature enable for the card, i only use vega cards.

Thankfully i can game just fine with vega cards, so i don't have to buy any of the newer cards to keep up with the new games.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    You can always sell it while it holds the value and get something like 6700xt for some bit of extra. Rdna2 will have alot more performance and features.

12. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    When i find a shop to sell my W6600 and W5500 i will. But again, newer cards doesn't interest me because none of them have AMD Fluid motion. I use Cyberlink DVD and with my W6600 or any other new card, you can't watch Blu-ray movies using Cyberlink DVD, i mean you can, but AMD Fluid motion is greyed out, so you won't be able to watch Blu-ray movies at 60fps. I need to watch Blu-ray movies using AMD Fluid motion, its a whole new experience using it.

Just my opinion, but watching Movies without AMD Fluid motion, well its impossible for me to do lol. So Vega for life. It would be nice if AMD didn't removed the feature. I'm not sure why they didn't replace it with something similar if they had plans to removed it, its one of the best features ever. I don't even think Nvidia has anything similar.

The Creator likes this.
  13. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    It will always amuse me how RX 480/470 are basically ignored in mainstream discussion when 580/570 are more or less the same things, just with slightly higher clocks.

14. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Maximum hopium. If anything, RT has higher chances of closing the gap than raster.

15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Not really if TFLOPS really will be the same. Though big if.

16. Rubalvar

Rubalvar Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT
    If AMD fails to deliver in RT with the 8800XT it will be crushed by the upcoming Blackwell and even with the risk of Battlemage surpassing them. In raster a performance more or less like the 7900XT could be acceptable because it's already high enough for high framerates.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Question is if anything but Quake II RTX with PT can run fast on that hardware, as lots of the RT stuff in game engines is proprietary Nvidia-code and might not be able to ever run fast on anything but proprietary Nvidia driver (see Intel Arc GPUs suck in "PT").

18. Tadeo

Tadeo Member

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 16GB
    Ok then, when new driver ;) ?

19. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    This Wednesday/Thursday marks four weeks, so I guess a new release then would not be totally unlikely to happen.

20. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    It suspicious that we haven't seen any newer builds than 23.40.28 (which is the same as 24.3.1/23.40.27.01 - March 13th).