When will the 5870 x2 and 5970 be released?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by death_samurai, Nov 8, 2009.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I am not sure if there's even a 5970 but someone in another forum said 2 5870 in CF = 1 5970 so i guess it must be in the works.

I mean so far the 5870 is the best 5000 series card there is. Pretty quite long.

2. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
  3. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    Will be out when its out :)

i am waiting too

4. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    AMD are waiting for nVidia to make a move with the GT300 series and won't release an update of ther 5800 line until nVidia reveal their hand.

A problem that both AMD and nVidia are facing is that TSMC are experiencing problems with their production lines. There is an article floating around stating that nVidia's yields are 2.5%. It's unknown really what the yields are but nVidia's approach isn't good with huge cores, so I wouldn't put it past them to have low yields but 2.5 would mean chips that would cost 1000 once again. I, honestly, hope not as there would be no competition and AMD would take the market, which would be as bad as it was when nVidia were charging 300 for a midrange card.

Anyway, back on topic, 5970 which will as powerful as two 5870's in XFire will be amazing. The 5870's are already more powerful than most gamers will need for years to come, with CPU's and games bottlenecking it, I can't imagine the GFlops a 5970 would put out.

5. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
  6. dmanna80

dmanna80 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870

well I will believe it when I see it. I am waiting for the 5970 too but I am pretty sure I am going to get 2 5870's instead.. or better yet 1 5870 now and a 5970 later for trifire. But so far my 4870x2 is pretty much owning everything.. even with crysis and 9.11 beta I am averaging 42 fps.. which is pretty damn good I guess for a 4870x2. So I am in no hurry at the moment..
    and the games I really want to play mw2, diablo 3, starcraft 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age, ME2.... the only game that I want that will utilize my upgrade to a 5xxx series card is the new stalker game.

7. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    lets just hope we get some more news on date.. :)

8. Grabber

Grabber Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 7850
    Second half of November is the release. So between 16th and 21st of November.

9. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

are u using a 16 inch pc screen?

10. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

i saw the release date and it's mid to end of this month. the fermi will only be released next year march?

That's what i read here so the 5970 will be out sooner.

11. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    around mid this month or early next month the latest. the 5900 series is there dual gpu solutions so the 5970 is 5870x2 and the 5950 is 5850x2. i don't know if they will make a 5890 or not.maybe not

but from what i hear amd is already preparing their 6000 series for next year whice is interesting.it seems they want to stay in the game and keep dominating the gpu market from low to high end.

even tho i ain't planning on buying nvidia's fermi or whatever they want to call it.i just hope they come out to force ati to mark down prices once again.competition is good for the consumer

12. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

I wonder if there's some sort of secret talks bewteen these 2 companies. Like maybe they have some sort of secret pact. Like the CEO of 1 co calls the other and tells him to release his new models first then he waits when the other co is done milking the public he releases his stuff. Or maybe they take turns to dominate the market. Like all right my 200 series will win your 4000 series this time round. U'll beat my 200 series or i'll not release my 300 series till a few months after ur done.

13. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
  14. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    As far as we know, there is no more X2 branding. ATI is renaming the HD 5870 X2 to the HD 5970. Just to clear up any confusion.

15. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    got a question for sum of you, Can you mix 2 5870's with the upcomming new 5970 dual GPU card on a 3way X58 board? will this be possible or is the only way better is with one more 5870>? i was wondering about this..Does anyone know???

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    There should be no reason why you can't quad fire 2x5870's and a 5970, drivers permitting of course.

17. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Course ATI and Nvidia are in cahoots some times. It is good for both of them considering they are the only two competitors in the market, im sure they were actually caught once. In any case i want to see nvidias new gt300 series. I wont be upgrading until mid to late 2010 i think.

18. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    They did get caught and ati got sued big time for it....dont know what happened with nvidia....

19. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    The rumours basically the dual GPU card name will be 5970, and so far it appears it clock speeds may be somewhat lower than the 5870, which maybe why they dropped the 5870x2 name.

I've heard the NDA is lifted on the 16th again thats a rumour.

There's no real concrete information at the moment, theres been leaked engineering cards but they dont tell us a lot since AMD have confirmed they're not final nor have final BIOS revisions etc.

20. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I bet Intel and AMD are also collaborating somehow. Intel can't let AMD go bankrupt because they'll be crushed by anti-trust lawsuits and AMD can't let Intel go down for the same reason. Anyone remember AMD building Intel's 64bit CPU's? They could have said no, they're competitors after all, but they didn't.

M$ also aren't entirely competing with Apple. They could have crushed and destroyed Apple if they'd wanted to years ago but they didn't. They need eachother, without the other they will get split up.