When will MFAA work with sli?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by writer21, Sep 17, 2015.

1. writer21

writer21 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC ACX 780 sli 3gb
    It seems to do a really good job cleaning up the aliasing when in motion which I can't stand. One game I notice it a lot is Project Cars. Would rather not use my sli 980 ti's because I need MFAA.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I really can't even tell if it's working most of the time. Rather pointless feature in my opinion.

3. writer21

writer21 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC ACX 780 sli 3gb
    It definitely works and Project Cars looks so much better. I have to use DSX4 to clean up the jaggies in Project Cars but that takes so much power.

4. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Pretty much this.

60% of those NVIDIA fancy features die in a ditch.
    Anyone remembers TXAA? Amount of titles that had it implemented can be counted on one hand.

I use it on BF4/BFH because if i'm having 120+ fps on 60Hz monitor i may as well just strap on some imaginary eyecandy.

I loose some FPS but i can't really see any improvement over inbuilt 4xMSAA + FXAA.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Does anyone other than the OP actually know what it is supposed to do.

Essentially the point (according to the marketing) is to achieve 4xMSAA quality at for example the performance hit of 2xMSAA with a few other things added on top.

No idea why TXAA is mentioned, especially with any BF4/BFH as i do not think either of those games had support for it......

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Only thing I noticed is the option for it is gone when sli is enabled, never really tried it out in single card though. My guess is MFAA doesn't work with afr.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It blends MSAA samples temporally between frames to give you a step higher AA on a MSAA level you select. So for example it gives you ~4x AA when you turn it on and select MSAA 2x in a DX10/11 game (DX9 isn't supported AFAIK). If you select MSAA 4x then you get something in vein of 8x and selecting MSAA 8x is supposed to produce something in line of 16x AA -- highest possible MSAA quality.

Problem is I can only spot if it's working when using MSAA 2x (getting 4x quality over 2x is pretty noticeable). Going to 4x and 8x is hardly any better in quality than with MFAA off.

Another issue is that you can't get a screenshot of it because the temporal accumulation happens somewhere outside of a framebuffer it seems. NV's being rather coy on the tech details doesn't help at all either.

8. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    turn on MFAA in global setting no harm if the games not support, i will not affected.

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    never

( until pascal is out in other words )

i'm just guessing

10. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I can't stand TXAA. It just makes everything blurry, so what's the point?
    MFAA also makes things slightly blurry which is why you prob feel that that the game is smoother when the image is in movement.

Imo If I had a SLI setup i'd use that extra power to 4x-8x MSAA into the game and call it a day.

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What? MFAA is MSAA alternating between frames, it doesn't blur anymore than MSAA does.

12. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    MSAA is not strong enough now days and it comes with heavy impact (due to the algorithms this method uses).
    The best pro MSAA has is that it won't mess with transsaprent object and won't add not a single bit of blurriness,still not strong as it should (mixing with SSAA was the best way to clear aliasing but not possible to almost every dx11 title nowdays unless game's engine support it..)

TXAA is the best solution for making aliasing as clean is it could but ys,sometimes (yes,sometimes not all the times..here opposite opinions are arguing as heaven vs hell..) comes with a blurry filtering that reduces overall visual quality.

MFAA definately works if engine supports MSAA and to be honest the impact differs from 30% up to 50% less (comparing with next MSAA scale meaning MSAAx2+MFAA vs MSAAx4 and MSAAx4+MFAA vs MSAAx8).

Nvidia has a long way ahead really fixing their stuff.

SLI has many problems today with MFAA,G sync and downsampling (or DSR if your prefer it), downsampling in general etc...

That's why many people prefer single gpu than multi in their systems.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Many people prefer single GPU because often multi GPU doesn't work at all =) not because of some MFAA incompatibility (not a big loss).

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    That's not true at all, sli works as intended vast majority of the time.

15. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Wrong..and actually misleading for new members that read that...careful.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Right.

[​IMG]

Doesn't work.

[​IMG]

Doesn't work.

[​IMG]

Doesn't work.

[​IMG]

Doesn't work.

[​IMG]

Doesn't work.

[​IMG]

Doesn't work.

[​IMG]

Doesn't work.

That's as far as I'm willing to go - this covers summer releases at least.

Next time you'll feel like saying something like "wrong", "careful" and "not true" - do check on the data first, ok?

17. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    SLI doesn't work in Batman Arkham Knight, but then again what DOES work in Arkham Knight? :v
    I don't play any of those games and I've had nothing but good times with SLI so far.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would like to SEE MFAA on 6xx series, then i again seeing it need MSAA for MFAA to work does really matter? how game these days really use MSAA that dont cause graphical issue as a result?

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    SLI support is coming to Arkham Knight soon:
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145594019968443309

And other UE4 games actually scale well with SLI now without any issues, such as Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10779115&postcount=2017

SLI support really is getting much better in the later 2015 releases.
    Witcher 3, GTA 5, Evolve and many other GPU intensive games now all scale great with 2-way SLI at least.
    And scaling is also fixed in Shadow of Mordor and Watch Dogs in the later drivers (352.xx and newer).

Most of the remaining "problematic" games have also been fixed at this point through custom SLI profiles :)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4908843&postcount=1

20. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S

All I see here are only few games but which use same 2-3 engines, I don't say that all games work with SLI on their release, that would be perfect, all I am saying is that some games work,some don't but it's not so OFTEN as you say so.
    For example Mad Max,MGS5,GTA5,AC Unity,Far cry 4,Witcher 3 and so on.
    You get the point now...? This could not stop until we do and due to the fact that we have to respect OP's thread I'm stopping here.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015