When will games......look like the movies?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JEFFRO503, Jun 15, 2011.

1. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I always though CGI movies were done frame by frame, like cells in an animated cartoon?

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I think you'll be looking at over a decade before PC technology is powerful enough to look photo-realistic in real-time. Personally I'm in no rush as I prefer games that do NOT look realistic but have stylish art design that is simply not possible in real-life, e.g. stuff like Alice: Madness Returns, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Wind Waker, etc., etc. Might be nice for racing games though.

There again, I don't especially like Call of Duty or Battlefield-type games but even if I did I not sure how I'd take shooting down enemies that look completely human and die realistically. I would find that disturbing personally I think even though they obviously aren't real. It's one thing to watch someone die in a horror or war movie as a third-person viewer but it's quite another to be the one causing their deaths in a game and it looking indistinguishable from reality IMO. Not sure I'd want to go there.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The word 'Play' is pushing it I think when you're talking about those games! :p

I 'played' those games years ago on the Amiga and they were absolutely dreadful even back then as they're barely interactive at all; instead you move the joystick then wait for a movie clip to finish playing which either moves the game on if you guessed correctly or leads to your death. Terrible, terrible games, best forgotten IMO.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Anyone remember Night Trap on the MegaCD (SegaCD) lol

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    play MGS 4 on ps3 and u will get the idea of it.

6. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If you mean endless cutscenes then pretty much every Jap game fits your "movie" profile.

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    2D better then 3D? LOL that made me laugh..go play your DS then...

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i do,many screaming girls running around a house....

9. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Just because something is presented in 3D doesn't automatically make it superior to 2D. If you genuinely think that 3D > 2D in all scenarios, I genuinely pity you. Honestly mate, I've seen you post some pretty stupid stuff - but you're becoming worse over time.

[​IMG]

Look at this for example. It obviously isn't going for realism, it isn't 3d. It's absolutely gorgeous imo. I'd kill for there to be more modern 2D games, HD ones especially. Ever seen artist renditions for older 2d games? Something that's possible with current hardware?

Super Meteroid:

[​IMG]

Sonic:

[​IMG]

You're genuinely claiming you wouldn't play those games if they came out? Or that you think that 3D trumps them at every turn?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, there are a huge amount of people who prefer traditional hand drawn 2D animated movies over the CGI ones, all just personal preference.

It's also no different to people saying they prefer to watch movies in 2D, than in 3D.

Veteran, yep, only ever played it in a shop, small screen and brown video is all i remember, was only a few years later there were DVD player games that were much better lol.

11. Gembel

Gembel Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    + 100

But i remember Cevat Yerli (Crytek) said something that games will look like animation movie (ice age 3) in 2013.
    Maybe that's true because next Nvidia card (codename Keppler) will have much processing powah and release in 2013 :)

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    can you really not tell that they're not real actors?

13. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    In the prey clip.....they may be real actors....although I don't think they are. Because the batman clip IS all 100% rendered from what I understand. Look extremely close at some of the facial closeups , and you will see what I mean. As far as that goes.....watch the movie Tron...........Jeff bridges younger self which plays in the movie....all rendered!

14. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  15. jgomez7238

jgomez7238 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If you look at Napolean from the Totalwar series; those Naval battles are pretty close I would say. Also Crysis modded looks incredible. Even Crysis 2 on the PC is amazing. I think that anyone with hardware from the ATI Radeon 5800 series and up( GTX 400 series on the Nvidia side), has the ability to approach those type of graphics. I say in 2 to 3 years if developers go all out. I mean look at some of the gameplay footage of Battlefield 3 for PC so far. Impressive indeed.

16. perparker

perparker Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 570
    I think it will take a looong time. 20 years pluss.

And with that i mean something as simple like i'm watching out the window now.
    I see a big tree blowing gently in the wind with the sun shining on it
    (i'm faar north, midnight sun :) , mountain in the back with some spots of snow and a clear blue sky without a cload.

The day when i can look att a screen (or 3d glasses or whatever) and not see a difference in a game , in real time i would say we are there.
    But even in todays top notch cgi movies you can easily see that it's fake compared to the real thing. (thats why i like the real way of movie making much better.)

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I have to agree with everything here....sadly...

18. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Darkest: It is obvious you are an old school Sega/NES player. And while there is nothing wrong with that in by itself, saying that is better then today’s 3D is like saying an old school CRT TV is better then a 1080P LCD. Just doesn’t hold any water my friend sorry...

While I appreciate your love for the old school stuff, I have no time for "Tetris" type graphics. I didn't upgrade to a quad core 2500K for 2D and I am sure most didn't either...

If you want to stick with 2D type games then the DS is for you. I'll pass thank you very much...

19. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
  20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    This.
    consoles have NOTHING to do with it. just look at amd's and nvidia's tech demos. they dont look real at all.
    i been reading this crap about , games gonna be realistic for about 15 years already. things havent changed much tbh. so far only thing realistic i saw is factial animations in la noire. but then again its only the animations. not the graphics.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011