when will exactly nvidia fix fuccking alt+tab prob

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by cefurkan, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Titan quest is NOT STALKER. Go into stalker with your X1650 and set everything to high. BAM 540mb of memory usage for video assets.

On a side note, the X1900XT 256mb ran Titan Quest on all highest settings just fine, which leads me to conclude that Titan Quest doesn't use much in the way of video assets.

Your tests will be biased and unfair, since you cannot grasp the concepts.

2. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 470 @725 GPU
    i will try stalker at 6600gt and 7600gs

also u told the truth

anyone has titan quest and 8800gts 320mb could try titan quest with 4x aa 16x af ultra setting and 1280 pixel, and can see the results

while his graphic card memory doesnt pass over 256 our 320mb wont be enough

i will come with proof tomorrow wait

i just need to go sleep since i have lesson 6 hours later

3. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    [1] XFX 6870 HD @955/1100
    3rd year engineer 1 year english student .My head hurts when I read your posts so Im gonna stop now:leave:

4. Nicksterr

Nicksterr Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 512
    I only ever had problems alt+tabbing with SLI.

5. abtomat74

abtomat74 Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I don't know why there is such an argument here, the ALT+TAB bug is a well known and documented problem. The only thing to be arguing about now, is whether or not they fixed it, not if it existed at all...it did/does.

No offense as I do not claim to be an expert on anything computer related, but this forum has the largest amount of 100% clueless people of all the gaming/hardware forums I frequent. Sure there are plenty here that do know what they're talking about, but they are far outnumbered by the 12 year olds who simply regurgitate the bs they read randomly across the web.

6. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Try the 163.75 drivers. I've seen reports that this particular behavior is fixed w/ them.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    QUOTE "i am computer engineer 3 th year student and i know these thinks a bit(sure more than u)."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a load of crap.

There is no such thing as a "Computer Engineer"

Since you brought Occupation into it, I'll just say that I have never heard a Tech Head who really is in the I.T. Industry, me included, refer to themselves as a "Computer Engineer"

I checked your profile this morning and you had nothing on it, no job title - nothing. Now when I get back from work - as a Hardware Engineer FYI, suddenly you have a profile with the Job Title "Computer Engineer"

Seems you had to do something to try and give yourself some credit after being lambasted by forum members after your obnoxious comments earlier.

Well it had the reverse effect.

IMHO you've gotten in over your head with your obnoxious and uneducated comments earlier, and are too arrogant or ignorant to bow out quietly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  8. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB Gaming OC 3080
    But if you are so freaking smart and clever, then why bother bothering us with your hot steaming pile of **** ?

Don't expect to be treated nice in here if you don't behave in a more sensible way dude :puke3:

Take a few years in school besides your IT education to learn the basics in good behaviour. My guess is that your won't be an A student, but manage :D

9. sudhakarvytla

sudhakarvytla New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    @Luvabud
    what is the software you are using for seeing how much fps and memory is used while playing the game.

10. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    finally someone who doesn't talk out his butt (excuse my french but most of you guys on page 1 & 2 did without having a clue though the poster needs some manners too).

correct, it is a bug in the drivers which Nvidia has promised to fix.

cedurkan(?) use the latest WHQL for Windows XP: 163.71 WHQL

directly from the release notes from the driver:
    too bad the vista users will have to wait a bit more or use the beta 163.71 for vista.

11. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT XFX SWFT 309
    if you are so clever and a expert on graphics why are you even bothering posting on here pp have told you what they think if you dont care to listen and shout your BIG FAT GOB at everyone why are we all bothering answering you i will remember your screenname on here as you wont be getting any replys from me in the future if you are bothered by the 8800 320mb card buy a higher 8800 card with more memory instead of using 320mb which will stuggle in new gameson high detail

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    what ALT+TAB bug?

anyway, maybe the problem is the lack of vRAM itself

as they say, you get what you pay for :) just turn the textures down maybe?

there must be a reason why some cards have 512mb up memory (and that would be because some games do require more vRAM)

13. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 470 @725 GPU
    first off all this image for you
    english is not my mother language and it is very natural that my english level is not too high
    [​IMG]

secondly who is ignorant and who ignores the facts is obivous there is a bug and still not fixed yet i am telling this not by only looking fps

3 th thing is i used 163.75
    4 th thing is i am writing here since one of the biggest graphic card forum is this forum and i dont want nvidia let forget this problem

i am going to school now but after i came i will test stalker at 3 different card i hope and i will post here results

we will see who is ignorant

14. DeathDealer175

DeathDealer175 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    I would like to know this too.

15. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    thats a rivatuner plugin

16. i_am_vince

i_am_vince Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800Gts 320 OC (factory clocked
    hahaha, gosh, i felt we have all been hit sucker punches by this cefurkan boy.
    taking time to read all the posting, then half way reading and he said he doesnt really play the 3 games that he mentioned!!! i think he said WIC and titan quest and 1 more i forget. WTH!!! you dont play them and you shouting and swearing as if someone just died. And prior of that, he keep mentioning someone tested the x1600 with titan. Why someone else experience not his? when was it tested? doesn't he remember that the game is more than 1 year old? back then most people got 256mb card and 512 is a premium (leave out SLI), if titan developer had program it to use more than 256mb of video ram back then, i would say they sure is a bit silly.

and does he think he is the only computing science student in this forum? some people here even have real working experience in the software development :S the thing with arrogant students like him, he think he figure out the whole wide world. For god sake he is comparing a year old titan quest with WIC, bioshock. it's like comparing orange to apple and claim both are the same. doesn't he know that, while you can get the same result if you copy and paste the algorithm, software/game developer cannot do that because for copyrighted reason/different game genre/different project objectives. basically the developer want to outdo the rest with something standout not copying others. With WIC, the game graphic was great, so of course the memory footprint can take more than 450mb. He can't even get his own reasoning straight let alone his arguments, and he start insulting everyone else.

laykun, nice explaination. too bad he doesn't understand. maybe from his academic experience, all the programming that he needs to do for his assignments, doesn't require any concern for the amount of memory that he is using. how many CS students ever create programs that far exceed the available system/graphic memory? so he might had think, from his 'extensive' programming experience, just load the whole sh*t into the memory and be done. Optimisation? the heck with it.

maybe he does understand that when you alt tab to windows, there is no need to store the game data in the memory, as he said bioshock also reload the memory from 300 to 200 before going to 300 again, but never over than the 320, on the other hand WIC will. so basically if you rephrase his question would be, the game or OS recognize his card is 320 version, why is the game still load more than 320 which is more than the available vram. Maybe this is why he says there is a bug. and not the gradual memory load from 280 then 300+ then 500. but of course he did say 280 is enough (is he part of the WIC developer to say they will only allow to have 280 as the final memory size? this quote is as controversial as claiming 512kb ram is enough)
    Again he seem to confuse and dont know what is his main questions and come out insulting everyone. Like someone said earlier, i dont want to help him, so i wont tell him if i suffer from the problem as him giving that i'm using a 320 too. Not that now he cares with all the flaks that he got. I'll be grnning nevertheless.

ps. i think the smartest thing he said so far is to agreed to do some testing himself this time before anymore argument. good good. your friend exerience is your friend experience, so shout so loud and convincingly as if it's from your own testing.

regards

17. DeathDealer175

DeathDealer175 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    I found it:O

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I use it too. BTW I have never had the alt tab issue either, although I have heard of it.

One thing I do know though, is that this must be the red-hot thread for the week.

19. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII
    This thing needs to be closed up. *grabs some popcorn*

20. Cybercat

Cybercat Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
    You may know a thing or two about programming, and you know why having too little memory can kill performance, but you know NOTHING about this issue.

Another term for the "alt-tab" issue is the "texture evict" issue.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/349
    Not all engines have their own resource management system. All OpenGL games require that the driver do it, while it can differ for DX games. DX games that don't are called Managed DirectX engines, and basically they must rely on the API/driver to control the video memory (and mapping to system memory). With the GF8 series, NVIDIA's Forceware drivers did a poor job of this, but it has since been fixed with DX9 games for the most part. Some, however, such as WiC, still exhibit symptoms.

I have tried the WiC demo with the latest beta 163.76 drivers while monitoring memory usage and it only ever peaked at about 370MB. Instead of memory usage constantly climbing it dynamically raised and lowered during play. This is how it should act.

Because of the separation of the user-level and kernal-level drivers in Windows Vista, fixing the issue with DX10 games is a more complicated matter, and as of yet, hasn't happened.

I have no formal programming education. All I know I learned from doing research while I was dealing with the issue on my 320MB GTS.

Please, before you go spouting off about how other people don't know what they're talking about, make sure YOU know what you're talking about first. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.