when will exactly nvidia fix fuccking alt+tab prob

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by cefurkan, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 470 @725 GPU
    only at 3 games this issue is really big problem

company of heroes
    world in conflict
    and titan quest

at gothic stalker this problem is pretty hard to detect without looking memory usage from osd

like this one
    [​IMG]

2. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:

lol tell me than why 256 mb x1650 pro doesnt pass over its 256 mb usage

or 6600gt

why dont pass their maximium memory :bash:
    lolololol

or 9800 or 7900 gt 256m version

ext ext ext

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  3. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    I also must disappoint you, because i had never the alt tab-bug with my 8800gts.
    Even with the Driver that i got with the card.

Dont know what youre doing wrong but i dont think its a driver issue.

The 8th generation from the nvidia cards works much different then the 7th and less.

But thats no reason to write here fuccking nvidia etc. !
    Nvidia done a good job with the last drivers i think and im lucky with my 8800gts.

Oh and its normal that an app uses less vram if you alt-tab-out and back in because previous loaded textures or some like that are in this moment of the game not needed. Plz correct me if im wrong.

4. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:

u have 640 mb edition

it is normal that u dont have any problem since even the game that has severe bug never pass over 550 mb memory usage

and 1 more thing if the card memory clear unit were working correctly

the memory usage would be always under 320 mb
    so the wrecked datas wouldnt get u slow down and u wouldnt get any improvements at fps after alt tab

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well u named 3 really crappy games , cope with that, buy a newer gpu with more ram or lower in game details for those games...

6. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    well if we say the truth

i dont play that games

but who can guarante that new games wont have problem

i dont mind current games with problems but it seems like newer games like as world in conflict may have this bug too

but what if star craft 2 have this problem like as coh or world in conflict

will nvidia pay money back :bash:

notice: crysis doesnt have this issue i tested it

7. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Ok maybe youre right but as example the only game what was over this 320MB was Stalker.... MOH Airborne, Bioshock, ET:QW etc. dont use more and more and more.... I have already tested with that vidmemwatcher-tool because i had red about this 8800 mem bug....

The only game that doesnt run after i swapped from my 7600gt is Test Drive Unlimited... But i think its the bad programming of the game because its the only one that dont run smooth...

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    well some games have issues some don't, all those are rts type games having those issues...
    many units + huge textures ( not to mention high resolution and massive AA settings) = high memory usage, so don't use AA in those games.

lower detail and texture settings and it will do better, i know its a pain in the ass if u need to lower settings on a new gpu, but hey thats how it goes lol:eek:ver:.

edit: well looks like ur the one of many unlucky ones with this problem, some with320mb have no problems including my self and some apparently have huge mem overflows, i play Stalker and it doesn't slow down to a point of being unplayable - do u use float mod for Stalker?

9. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    moh airborne and bioshock doesnt have issue

as seen in the pictures below

but stalker has and still i get fps improvements even with latest drivers after alt tab

because the game graphic card memory usage goes up to 500+ mbs
    after alt tab gets under the 300 mb for a while

bioshock
    memory usage below 300m after alt tab below 200mb but it doesnt get fps improvement since doesnt pass over 300

[​IMG]

airborne this game uses really really low memory

[​IMG]

10. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    still u dont get what i say

this problem isnt about the game

it is about the card

normally company of heroes game need 280mb memory

with

16x af 4x aa 1280 pixel ultra high if u say where do u know

after alt tab game starts to usage 280 mb while u wait same place it goes up until 500m mb

and if u say why this isnt about games

try with 7900gt 256 mb edition and look memory usage

u will see never pass of 256 mb memory usage

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    That's exactly what he doesn't seem to understand, and he's the one calling me an idiot ... :leave:

12. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Ok that makes sense... I hope Nvidia fix this, because my 640mb vram are not enough for that bug with future games....

Btw. Nice blood in Bioshock, i wish there would be an uncut patch for my eu-version :)

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    and u too don't understand, its a game and this card (drivers) issue, it still doesn't allocate proper memory to the card and its probably feeding it with 500megx thinking it has 512mb ram.

So lower texture details in those games period!!

14. Luvabud

Luvabud Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Force aa on bioshock, and the memory usage will go quite high
    [​IMG]

15. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Look buddy, read the replies or GTFO. You need to understand certain aspects that no, you are NOT right in your technical knowledge of graphics card behaviour. And that second, you should NOT bypass the profanity filter for the F word because you're so retarded with anger.

1. When you load a game, it'll load the assets it needs into main memory, whic includes ALL video information ( textures, geometry ). When you enter a level the game caches all this video information on your video card. Usually the starting parts of levels aren't too bad and you don't normally go over your video cards memory limit. But as you progress through levels more video information is added to the stack located in your video memory, and if the video memory limit is EXCEEDED then information will get cached to main memory. This is all dependant on the way the GAME is programmed to handle video information and NOT the drivers. And if your main system memory limit is exceeded the program will cache the information in virtual memory space which is located on your harddrive. Accessing the main system memory to retrieve video information on the fly is alot slower than fetching it from local video memory, hence the incredibly bad frame rates. And if the video data is located in virtual memory, performance takes an even bigger hit. Get this through your head. All texture "cleaning" as you put it is handled by the GAME, not the driver, since the driver has no access to the games internal state and cannot devise whether video data is needed or not. The video driver is simply a gate way if you will to the video card, but the game is responsible for controlling all video assets.

2.When you alt tab out of a game and into another app ( including desktop ) your video memory will be cleared by that program and will be filled with new data from the main system memory. So when you alt tab back into your game your video stack is refreshed and the relevant video data is reloaded out of system memory back into the stack. Once you start moving around in your game your stack will fill up and inevitably over flow again. You may notice it takes a small amount of time to alt tab back in since all this is going on.

From a programming point of view, cleaning the video memory would be more computationally costly then simply dumping video data to the main memory since it'd require a linear search through all of the video memory assets and some pretty complex testing algorythms and culling techniques.

There's NOTHING you or nVidia can do since neither of you have control over it, and the only people who could possibly help are the game developers. Accept the fact that some games use more video assets then others, and hence require a video card with more VRAM to run on high settings. No one is stopping you from using a lower texture setting in any of these games.

Take this new information and boil it over in your brain.

16. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    ok pls explain me

at company of heroes

i enter game
    never move
    even mause

and for a while the memory usage goes up up up up and fps get lower and lower

how could this happen

and why at 8800 series cards only pass over their maximium memory limit while other cards

like as 2900xt 7900gt x1650 etc doesnt pass over

17. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Can you not read? FPS goes down because Video data is being cached to MAIN SYSTEM MEMORY as opposed to being stored on LOCAL VIDEO MEMORY this occurs when LOCAL VIDEO MEMORY is full. MAIN SYSTEM MEMORY is slower than LOCAL VIDEO MEMORY especailly with respect to the GPU, and hence, when the GPU needs data in the MAIN SYSTEM MEMORY it takes longer to fetch, hence slower frame rates.

When and how much video data is loaded is entirely up to the video game, and varies in most cases. In this case the game engine could simply be streaming game data into the memory while you're playing, independant of what you're doing in the game world. An X1900XT 256mb passes over it's limit all the time, stalker on high texture settings got me up to 540mb, so I simply had to lower the texture setting to medium, problem solved. So I don't think you have your facts right.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    lol what don't you understand, as Laykun said, and its probably this game CoH issue.
    Like i mentioned before the game "thinks" your gpu has 512mb vram, and it fills up to 500megs of data into yours gpu memory, but then as your gpu hasn't the necessary space, it starts dumping mem on main mem and pagefile end of story.
    Contact CoH and tell about the problem, if it bothers you that much, and start bitchin there lol.

19. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    first part we are totaly same

but second part i dont belive ur card gets 540 mb memory usage because x1650 pro never passes over 256 mb at titan quest game with ultra high detail at 3 4 fps

20. cefurkan

cefurkan Member Guru

GPU:
    and also i will try tomorrow at

7600gs and 6600gt

we will see the results

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.