When the Maxwell Titan arrives will anyone want to buy it.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kaapstad, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I can imagine nvidia putting out a faster card than a 980, I got squat to upgrade right now and many gk110 owners feel the same way. What company does not want to sell $1000 video cards that fly off the shelves? You literally had to keep refreshing to get an original titan to find them in stock

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    $1200.00 USD (or thereabouts).

I'll admit I was surprised by the 970/980 prices but I have no illusions about the Titan 2, it will not be cheap.

For me at least, it's not about the money, I bought several Titans at launch and I never regretted it, they lasted me almost 2 years and were solid performers.

Where Titan 2 is concerned, they need to be 40% faster at a minimum (and not just in one or two cherry picked games, we're talking across the board).

The original Titan was almost twice as fast as a 680 and that justified the high price tag imho even though I'll be the first to admit that Titans simply do not represent value for money.

Charging twice the price of a 980 and not offering even close to twice the performance (speculative) is not that attractive of an offer imho.

It is made even less attractive by the fact that there will doubtless be a card that is almost as fast but with a little less VRAM released a few months after the Titan and I think the original 780 is a place where some Titan owners felt a little jilted because the 780 was 'too soon'.

The one glimmer of hope is that Nvidia may have learned from the failure of Titan Z that people (even enthusiasts) will not always pay extortionate premiums for new gear, especially when said new gear is less than impressive.

I would love to see an $800.00 Titan with a 40-50% increase over Titan Black.

Sadly, I think it will be a significantly more expensive card and nowhere near as good a value (twice as fast as what was available at the time) as the original Titan was in it's space at that particular time in GPU history.

Of course, all speculation.

As much as some think it will appear before Xmas, if it isn't announced soon (next 2 weeks), I would have to disagree with that assertion.

People are shopping for Xmas gifts now and we are about to enter November.

Some would say that Nvidia have already missed the optimum release window for Xmas shoppers.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Value for money may be subjective to some extend, but i doubt there's a universe where 1k for a gfx card is value. Entry values may chance depending on the subject but i wouldn't call buying a used F1 car for 5 mil value for money in the same way i wouldn't call the Titan that. Anyway off-topic, im sure the op will make full use of the awesomeness and scalability of his theoretical x4 SLi of that T2 [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You cannot compare vga cards to luxury automobiles. Apples to oranges.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    I'm sure people will buy it but not me. I needed an upgrade when Titan1 came out but wouldn't have bought it if I knew the cheaper and faster 780ti was to follow.

6. Kaapstad

Kaapstad Member Guru

GPU:
    4 x Titan X
    Could you explain the point you are trying to make please.

7. laststop

laststop Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I am looking to buy the non titan version of the titan. I don't care about fp64 performance. Similar to how they came out with the gtx 780 and gtx 780ti after the titan. So if they do that again I'm looking to buy the 1080 or 1080ti or whatever they decide to name it next year. It's going to be rough waiting another whole year with this ancient 5870 but believe it or not this thing still does decent if you set the resolution to 1920x1200. It will be exciting to finally be able to use my dell u3014 at native resolution though. GM210 should lay the smackdown on 2560x1600.

It's pretty annoying how nvidia makes you wait so long after the titan version comes out to get the sanely priced version with fp64 crippled but they gotta milk that money. But that's fine I'll be holding onto gm210 until nvidia or amd can make a gpu that does 4k at 60fps with maxed out AA and maxed out ultra or 120 fps with slightly lower quality settings.

8. whitespider

whitespider Member Guru

GPU:
    I just want the maxwell 780ti equiv. Not the titan equiv. The 970 and 980 feel like powerful little brothers to a much bigger chip. If i can get a single gpu that's 2/3rds as powerful as sli top-of-the-range, then it's worth it. Because while you loose one third of the performance, you gain a lot more compatibility. Waiting 6 months for a sli profile only to find the game barely scales - aint fun. And dx11 games seem to be a lot less sli friendly than dx9 games.

9. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    I doubt I will buy it unless I find a job, but yes - I want it, I badly want it. I've wanted it my whole life, even before I knew what a computer was because at some point that card exists. See, future is already present somewhere, so that card and I already know of each other, I've already re-read every spec of it, fapped to its photos, had dreams about it, capped a local gas station clerk to steal the money, stole it from MicroCenter, leaving 10 people dead and 2 barely breathing, snorted its coating, set its max load noise levels are my morning alarm, made strange love to it to claim it as truly mine, and finally plugged into my PC to discover it was DOA... Must've been the sex without lube that killed it.
    See, I know these things!

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well.... I'd love to see any real info on the Titan 2 first, before judging if I go for one, two, or 980 SLI. I want to see clocks, VRAM size and bus width, oc reserves and of course how many contract kills I gotta do for it ;)

But yes, putting some waterblock on it and see if fly with 6 or 8GB VRAM (hopefully on wider bus) for 1440p + DSR sounds like a dream to me...

11. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    I learned my lesson after buying the Titan, from now on, I am just going to wait for AMD to release their top of the line then wait for Nvidia's response. I think Nvidia has abundance of cards already created, they will always be on top, they only want to be slightly above AMD, so they can continue milking the market as much money as possible.

12. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Hilbert can u delete this stupid thread?

13. kaingr

kaingr Member Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    ill buy it ...for 2 euros that is ;-p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.