When do the phenoms get in stock?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by mbradshaw, Nov 21, 2007.

1. mbradshaw

mbradshaw Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 896MB
    That is my question does anyone know?????
    I checked newegg, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, and others but no phenoms...
    :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
    waiting is making me sad... why so long why? why??????

2. DYNOMO

DYNOMO Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Why buy an over priced inferior AMD cpu, go get yorself a faster Intel cpu for less money, thats my next moved.:rock:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  3. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    dynomo, they aren't really cheaper, amd made them competitivly priced, but still, intel is the way togo unless you already have am2

4. Nymphetamine876

Nymphetamine876 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870's
    intel cpu's are actually more expensive...

5. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Then buy a cheaper one, such as the e6320 and overclock the hell out of it...clock for clock these Phenoms are practically equal, but we know how far Core 2 duos can go, but Phenoms haven't really been tested yet... If I were you, I would stick with what has been tried and tested by enthusiasts and get Intel..

HyBrId

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm pretty sure the OP didn't mention Intel chips, so why the hell are people bringing them up?

7. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Q6600 beats the top Phenom. Furthermore, Phenom can't even overclock more than 200Mhz. Go get a cheaper C2D and overclock it like the beasts that they are!

8. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    oveclockers.com are selling them now

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    funny that people are touting the Core 2 Duo as still being the top.... and saying they can only overclock xxx mhz.... when i don't think they've really even been extensively tested, nor really overclocked....

Honestly.... the smart thing would be to wait until some reviews of the ACTUAL Phenom (not the samples or the crap the Phenom was based off of) appear.

Either way... as it's been said, performance wise, they're clock-for-clock with C2D. whether C2D's can overclock more or not, for the person who doesn't plan on overclocking and already has AM2.... Phenom is more worth it.

edit: apparently now Newegg has the Phenom 9500 2.2Ghz quad core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103226

$259...... might need to pick one up after my next paycheck......... maybe.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  10. blitzin2007

blitzin2007 New Member

GPU:
    sapphire 3870 512mb (xfire)
    was wondering people are saying the phenoms are no good at overclocking but would it be better to buy the 9500+ and clock to the same speed as a 9700+ or is it a diff chip used so more or less is limited to 2.2

11. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    For about the same price as "Spider" you can easily go with a Q6600/8800GT SLI/780i combo that can hands down outperform the Spider. Might be even more overclockable on top of that, just need to make sure you give it plenty of room...

EDIT: I'm not too sure if Intel or nVidia gave that combination a codename, btw.

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Q6600 is a better choice, look at this review and this one, it can't compete freq to freq in regular benchmarks, at games its a litter better but still lower performance then q6600.

13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Digital Hunter: either way you look at it.... for someone that already has an AM2 board.... the Phenom 9500 is a far better choice than buying a new motherboard and a Q6600. nice mobo + Q6600 = ~$400-500.

Plus.... probably half of us at least are more interested in nice CPU's for gaming more than encoding (or at least i am). i don't really give a rat's ass about Cinebench or any other synthetic benchmarking application. what i care about is actual game performance. If you look at THAT..... Well, let's see. in HL2 Episode 2 and UT3, there's about a 20-30fps difference between the Q6600 and Phenom 9500 (going by that one, since it's the only one that was released until they get the one little bug fixed), but who cares? both games are well into the 100fps range anyway. Crysis and Oblivion.... 1.1fps and 2.1fps difference respectively. who would care about that? i sure wouldn't.

Really think people should stop caring about "benchmarks" and look at actual game performance. yes, benchmarks are a good way to increase the size of your e-p*nis..... but they don't really show the difference in actual game performance.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Lol sry OP, i didn't see that you already own a am2 socked mobo...i that case buy a phenom 9600+ or 9700 at my place the 9700 is for 310€.

15. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Yeah, I would have gone with a high-end Crossfire P35, or a 680i A1, if not an X38 instead of an AM2/AM2+ and go with a Q6600 as a CPU, but it's your PC build. Just telling you that the Phenom build is only good if your budget won't allow for Intel/nVidia.

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    That's actually probably my only regret about ATI and AMD merging. even if AMD pulls ahead again in the CPU race.... chances are it won't be adopted very much, especially if ATi can't catch up to NVidia.... because we probably won't see another AMD + SLI board unless ATI and AMD split.... which i'm even MORE doubtful of happening.

17. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Unless AMD buys out AGEIA to get back at Intel's bit with Havok.