When can we expect to see Microsoft DirectStorage in real games?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Jan 13, 2022.

1. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    View attachment 10186
    yes, you are correct, per device and that would apply in most situations

however...
    but there are 4 devices in my case , each takes a slot in vroc / premium key, in my case to make 1 array, each device/one get cpu storage allocation (Xeon) per incept, per processor. Allocation can be to one processor or both. Each processor get two storage slots. Or I can set up two devices per slot and raid them. Actually I can raid them any way I want. In my case a 4x RAID 0 since everything is backed up
    I can configure multiple devices for one slot or just one device for each slot
    in cascade lake they have a direct connection to the cpu - that has embedded hardware just for this, that is part of the feature set.

While things are not as efficient as they could be, I average 50Gb/s in speed on large files. My read speed is somewhat faster.

Here are some sample setups in the bios for the cpu direct storage and vroc:

IMG_0371.jpg
    here is an example of setting up 2 and 2, here is processor 1
    no device is actually plugged into a slot, they are plugged in each individually to a u.2 connector
    IMG_0370.jpg

I did not post the vroc raid setup screen but its like any other raid set up utility

I wonder if DirectStorage can actually help --> as my storage is already directly connected to the cpus?

Hope that helps explain the setup

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no binding to device type, it works on hdds, it works on ssds, it works on floppy disks.

3. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    understood, I guess I locked in on Microsoft wording favoring nvme, but that is based on device speed. Got it

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The point being that you'll be limited by the GPU upload bandwidth with such storage.
    Or even more likely you'll be limited by CPU processing (yes, even with DS) way before that will be the case.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Nothing. He is just trying to create an opening to brag about his raid setup, and show his system...

6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Sadly GPU Decompression won’t be part of it till later: https://www.techpowerup.com/292951/...but-without-gpu-accelerated-decompression?amp

From a comment on there:
    > “From the presentation I watched about DirectStorage and how it worked, iirc it seemed like GPU decompression was the killer feature where most of the benefits can come from in terms of faster asset streaming and vastly reduced CPU/RAM overhead. What are the benefits in the current state? faster loading than no directstorage at all? lowered VRAM requirements? it's been a while.

From a reply to said comment:
    > “Yeah, I have the same impression. I guess the game could preemptively use the CPU to decode assets, cache them on the SSD, and then stream them in directly? That seems inefficient and wasteful though. IMO, without GPU decompression this has near zero utility.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
  9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  10. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090HoF OC Lab

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The load time between M.2 and SSD is not interesting either, rather would like to see a frametime comparison between the two, especially when switching scenery etc.

Although, difference between load times with MSFS might be interesting.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Undying and BlindBison like this.
  12. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Meh.They only show a loadscreens test.

I'd like to see direct storage ON/OFF while he walks around to see if he gets better frametime and to see if he gets any load stutters/texture poppin.

Undying and BlindBison like this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Exactly -- without GPU decompression from what I'm reading online I'm not sure how impactful this will be beyond load times. Still, I've only watched a few videos/read others thoughts on forums and the like so I really don't know with any certainty. Alex from Digital Foundry said in one of their recent round table discussion videos that we're getting "half" or so of the full DirectStorage stack and even he seemed unsure how useful it would be in its current state. I'm paraphrasing though, here's hoping DS is more useful than just shaving off load screen time :) I would "expect" once we get the GPU decompression as well and the CPU can be kept out of the process more it might be more impactful, but all I can do speculate for the time being. I was hoping this would be the silver bullet that would help kill asset streaming stutter, but my hopes might be too high.

14. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    microsoft likes the two-step , one step forward , two steps back
    play for a bit with sharpness option on the monitor itself , you can turn this down a hell of a lot before it becomes blurry , need to give your eyes time to adjust too
    but afterwards those jagged lines are pretty much gone , working with samsung G7 1440p myself , gotta go with my nose against the screen to see any jaggies , my sharpness is at 48 for desktop , games i like to set it to 44 even , gets a nice smoothing out of any jaggies and things like smoke in games are coming across way nicer

15. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090HoF OC Lab
    We're all speculating here. I think two factors should give more impact on alleviating asset streaming stutter than GPU decompression does:

1. Use of new Scatter-gather API which DirectStorage FileIO API is based on. (On Windows 10, it uses IOCP and on Windows 11, it uses the new IO Ring API)

2. Sampler Feedback Streaming.
    This saves IO bandwidth and overhead (Reduced size and number of graphic IO requests).

BlindBison likes this.

16. Jobert

Jobert Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    that is incorrect

17. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    DirectStorage is supported on all storage devices, including SATA SSD, HDD, and even floppy disk.

18. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090HoF OC Lab
  19. TroubledThoughts

TroubledThoughts Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
    Won't happen mainstream. I think it'll just be consoles taking it mainstream.

20. Jobert

Jobert Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    It said it right in the release info when it came out last week.

The feature is designed for PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, but SATA SSDs and spinning hard drives are still compatible.

That said it looks like the real improvements will be on nvme.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022