What's wrong with my RX 480?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by red00, May 14, 2019.

1. red00

red00 Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Hey guys. I have a weird problem in the past few months and I need your opinions and advises about it.
    My system contains a MSI RX 480 8GB OC, an i7 4790K, and 16 gb of RAM. I know my card is old and not the best card anymore but I can't believe it's become a low end card that I should get rid of it. even if I have to, I don't have enough budget for doing so yet. Anyways, my problem began with RE2, then Yakuza 0, next with Metro: Exodus, then Sekiro, and now with A Plague Tale.
    The problem is that even though RX 480 is a higher than recommended card for some of these games, and the game automatically sets my settings on ultra or high, my card renders most new games -specially the games above- with stutter and micro freezes. and it's a kind of special micro freeze. I don't know if I'm able to describe it good enough for you guys but in game, it's like the card renders 4 seconds of the game, then quickly stops and loads the next 4 seconds in a split second, and then streams the next 4 seconds and so on. and during the playing, every time the micro freeze happens, a low 'tzzzz' 'tzzzz' 'tzzzz' (like a slow car's break) sound comes from my card. so it's always like this:

*3-4 seconds of rendering the game* - *tzzzzz* + *micro freeze* - *3-4 seconds of rendering* - *tzzzz* + *micro freeze* ....

The games are 'playable' and I don't have a crash. but as you can imagine it's so on the nerve.
    So, anyone can explain me what's happening? what's wrong with my card? has it become too old and useless? is this problem from my card at all? or it might be cpu and a bottle neck problem?
    Any kind of advice and tip will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    Hey there!

What an annoying problem that must be.

Are you sure it's your video card that's causing the issue? How did you verify this? Your description reminds me of my dying HDD (pretty severe mini-freezes, slight 'zapping' and sometimes 'clicking' noises).

Anyway, I hope you figure it out! Good luck.

3. Thiago Diniz

Thiago Diniz Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I had a similar problem with my VEGA 64 (among other users). In our case was an Air Cooled VEGA 64 with custom watercooler flashed with LiquidCooler BIOS.. newer drivers was causing this issue, making us to get back to stock BIOS.

If you by chance is using another BIOS in your RX 480 and newer drivers, you might take a look at this.

https://imgur.com/a/bruwqox

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Did you monitor your system while playing the game? Clocks/usage/temps can show what happens when freezes occurs.

RX480 is still a decent card and it should play all those games no problem.

5. red00

red00 Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Ok guys ... change of plans. I think now I need to ask a completely different question and ask for different tips. a bit long post but please read it carefully.

As I said above I've started to play A Plague Tale a couple of days ago.
    This game was a festival of bugs on my MSI RX480 OC 8GB + I7 4790K + 16GB RAM + win 10. I not only had heavy stutter and micro freezes in scenes when swarms of rats move around the screen (tones of rats moving in different directions with similar concepts) like in the main menu, but micorfreezes existed also during gameplay, and the fps was also low and the game looked unpolished. all while my friend with a cheap old nvidia card runs this game with absolutely no problem on ultra.
    And this was all only till yesterday. the weird thing is since today, every time I go in game, after a few seconds in the main menu and right after loading the game (when a carriage's light shines through the window and rats go away) my card becomes so unstable that my monitor goes in standby mode and my card's fans begin to roar like crazy and it won't turn back to normal until I manually shut down PC with power button. I haven't done any changes to my system since yesterday at all.This bug (monitor standby mode and card roaring) has happened a few times on Sekiro during past few days as well, and the other weird thing is that when I asked about this problem in other forums, someone told me this:

"I have a Undervolted Sapphire RX 480 4GB, I5-8400 and 16GB RAM, I'm currently on chapter 3 of the game, playing on Ultra, 1600x900 reso, latest amd driver, playing borderless, vsync off, setting the exe high priority, disabling fullscreen optimization, even in 60+ fps, frame pacing really isn't that smooth, but in the menu, I've not experienced the one that you said, and in the rat scene, can't really say yet."

Which is funny because his card is like mine but has 4gb lesser memory, 'undervolted' (?), and his cpu is weaker. So I thought maybe something's wrong with my factory over clocked card.
    before going further, I need to say that I'm a COMPLETE noob in overclocking. one of those who think if I go and use Wattman or Afterburner my card will be melted and my case will be in flames. so I've never dared to over or under clock my card manually. I usually buy factory overclocked graphic cards because I think they give me more frames under a safe over clock, done by the factory itself.
    So what's happened to me for this game (and for Sekiro a few times. in busy scenes and big areas full of additional effects like fire and light reflections) made me think that maybe the reason my system fails and suddenly my monitor turns off and goes to stand by mode and my card fans start to roar like carzy is kind of an over heating or over clocking problems that causes by these games.
    So if my assumption is true and you guys think that might be the reason, would you kindly and patiently and step by step tell me what should I do to make my card work under a safe cock range for these games?

*A small thing I need to mention is that every time that crash happens, I can still hear the sound of games running in the back ground. but Alt+tab or alt+ctrl+del do nothing and I have to push power button to make the system quick shutdown.
    ** The other thing I need to mention is that in other heavy games lime Monster Hunter World or RE2, this has never happened. even though MH runs like crap and puts so pressure on my card, it never crashes like that.

So yes, I think more than focusing on micro freezes I need to concentrate on solving this problem first. could you guys help me what should I do? any kind of help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  6. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB UV
    try to undervolt
    i have similar problem with vrm noise in stock speed. im using 1250mhz at 970mv and it 2 times silent than 1360/1150mv