What's with the riots in Sweden?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    yea, a lot of mature adults here now or maybe we kinda grew up together here on Guru3D...I know I've learned to look at both sides of the coin before I open my big mouth!...:D

Love y'all

Valken likes this.
  2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Lel. Well usually it's Europe Vs murika. I know Denmark is somewhat fine.

Finland also but blergh.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yeah, it's all about image and perspective.
    Maybe some person is really a honest straight up citizen, but his group, ethnicity or nationally has a bad reputation and that person has to suffer for it. And also, can happen in reverse.
    Bad actors can shine a negative light on a group or nationality of hard workers and outstanding people.

Airbud and Horus-Anhur like this.
  4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    This is the classic twisting of words that has led to an unfathomable number of pointless arguments, xenophobia conflated with racism.
    I dont think you have done this on purpose, its something that now permeates the language freely, but is is important to discriminate between the two. It is easy to confuse them because they are tightly linked ,but they are not the same. In the case of racism: judging people based on ethincity, in the case of xenophobia: it can apply to anyone who is an outsider. they are linked because people of different ethnicities are easy to identify as outsiders. but xenophobia is not inherently racist, as outsiders who are visually indistinguishable from natives may be targeted with equal prejudice once identified. (see serbians vs croatians, japanese vs chinese/korean ect)

Xenophobia is not without reason, after all historically outsiders generally dont have the well being of native peoples in mind.

there are very few people these days(as a percentage of the population) who legitmately believe in racist ideologies like the kkk and neo-nazis, grouping everyone in with them is not helpful or useful. since it mischaracterizes the root of the problem, which is generally cultural differences.

case and point:
    If the immigrants acted and behaved like native swedes , there would be no riots and such book burnings would be considered the work of a lunatic , be uneventful and thus forgotten.

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    I'm an immigrant and I don't act like a native Swede...

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    More like if people actually integrate to society it's all cool usually. Not acting like swedes or whatevs is fine.

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Strix OC
    Oh you dont say... who would have guessed from your replies in this thread...

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    You mean because I'm not Racist/Xenophobic/Islamophobic? :)

I would say I'm not integrated into Swedish society, I don't speak much Swedish etc. I pay taxes and don't break the law though :)

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That is integrated I would say. You are contributing that is I think enough. Learning language comes with time if need be. But in most nordics you get by with english so I don't think that is needed.

Pretty much knowing the culture a bit, paying taxes/working and not breaking the law to me is integrated.

PPC, user1 and Grimbarian like this.
  10. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Nice! :)

I'll tell you all one thing, if you want to buy the best fruit/vegetables at the best prices it will 100% be at an immigrant run store, Swedish chain supermarket fruit and veg is absolute garbage that goes mouldy in no time at all.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Hehe well. I live in Finland but the view is the same. Anyway I do go to a lot of Indian stores/ Asian stores here. Some middle-eastern for stuff especially spices. Fruits actually can be really great in the supermarkets here but it's a bit of luck. But for example Bhindi (okra) I will need to get from an Indian market for sure.

Also I know some about the struggles as my partner is from India

Grimbarian likes this.
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Indian food is so incredibly good, especially if you like spicy stuff. If I was ever going to go vegetarian I would just non-stop eat indian veg dishes, Malai Kofta -- soooo good.. but my all time fav is lamb karahi.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Airbud, fantaskarsef and Grimbarian like this.
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    following swedish laws is swedish enough for most people.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I was so much of an "meat eater" before meeting my future wife XD now... I can have vegan/vegetarian days no problem. It's just so good.

Tho my favs are palak paneer and butter chicken.

Airbud and Denial like this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Apparently Rasmus Paludan is back and plans to "burn huge numbers of korans at various mosques around sweden" (via instagram) over the weekend.

2022-05-01 update: he begun his mischief yesterday and burned korans in Värnamo and Jönköping before retiring for the evening. Today he burned a few more in Stockholm next to the big labour rally and by the grand mosque. However by then the word had got around and when he came to Uppsala to finish what he'd started, a huge crowd came running out from the mosque and attacked him and broke his windshield, which forced the police to intervene. And that marks the end of the madness for today.

2022-05-08 update
    : new events planned on eleven locations in Borås, Göteborg, Linköping, Norrköping, Stockholm, Trollhättan, Uppsala, Västerås and Örebro beginning on thursday through may 15th. It's going to get wild. I'm not taking any chances and have already told most people I know to stay clear of the suburbs this weekend.

A car bomb exploded and small arms fire was reported in the morning where Paludan was set to speak (perhaps not related, but shows you the people he's up against). However when he got there a large crowd had gathered, they were chanting the usual religious profanity and tried to climb the fence - one attempt on his life was prevented by police.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Not long after starting his second rally for the day, a couple of angry bystanders decided to jump into the river and swam across while throwing rocks at him, but the police was quick to intervene and several arrests were made. His megaphone was overpowered by the huge chanting crowd that had gathered prior to his arrival.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Nothing much happened, but three people were taken into custody (two for jumping the fence into the arms of the police and one who ran passed it and then was gagged by police). There probably was more police in the area than there were counter demonstrators.

[​IMG]
    A total waste of time as the police had moved him to an old industry area, where very few people were around to hear his message. He of course wasn't too happy about it and will fight them in court after the fact and if it again turns out that their decision was politically motivated (which is illegal) then it will be another pr nightmare for the government.

[​IMG]
    A few rocks were thrown and multiple arrests were made, but because of the large show of force by the police nothing escalated out of control.

[​IMG]
    He was set to speak in Gottsunda, but was moved to Vaksala square by police as they couldn't guarantee his safety. Then the police changed his location a second time from Vaksala square to Österplan knowing they couldn't guarantee his safety. Local buses and trains were either delayed or cancelled, due to the heightened threat and because of people trying to get to him by crossing the railway tracks and jumping over the fence.

[​IMG]
    He was supposed to speak in Navestad, but the police denied his request and moved him to an old square, because they can't uphold law and order in Navestad or guarantee him safety and/or our constitutional right to freedom of assembly and free speech, due to the threats of violence and potential for new riots.

[​IMG]
    He was supposed to speak in Skäggetorp, but the police denied his request and moved him to a small square, because they can't uphold law and order in Skäggetorp or guarantee him safety and/or our constitutional right to freedom of assembly and free speech, due to the threats of violence and potential for new riots.

[​IMG]

I think it's a great shame that roadblocks and riot police are needed every time someone wants to criticize an idea. It's very unfortunate that the ones throwing rocks and wanting to stab him to death don't share our common values of nonviolence, freedom of assembly and free speech.

Last edited: May 15, 2022

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh he also does want to incite stuff. I don't think burning any books is actually a good thing anyway.

Why would he want to incite more crap....

Grimbarian likes this.
  17. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Lol, I googled that guy and just lol. Imagine getting mad about what he does in his spare time, grow up ya ikhwaani!

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    well It's probably a combo, some people just enjoy getting a rise out of others, and the other part to draw out the "uncivilized" nature of his opponents, by committing a legal non-violent act to evoke a violent response, thus "proving" his claims.

I don't think that its a good or productive way to go about it, but it is pretty hard to ignore, even the most stanch defenders will have a hard time justifying acts of violence in response to burning books, which is at its very core incompatible with free and liberal society.

In the past burning books was alot more meaningful since they were not easily replaced and there were not always copies available, which imbued religious books in particular with special value, destroying such books meant depriving people of their ability to practice their faith, and as such attributing criminal value to such acts was far more understandable /reasonable. But today its completely different, anyone can produce thousands of copies of any book pretty easily. If the people who are offended by such acts were a little wiser, they would simply order thousands of korans and hand them out demonstrating the futility of burning it.

19. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    I never understood the riot thing?

Here in America they're stopping major highways protesting something that I don't have a clue about? I would never put my body in front of a moving vehicle going 60 miles an hour!

My mama taught me not to play in the road a long time ago.

just saying.

Repo Man likes this.