What's this - a GeForce GTX 780 GHz edition ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    The statement was "a lot of people use resolutions higher than 1080p". This is not true, and also implies a majority.

When I rise out of bed, I will happily create a poll on these forums for people to state what their gamin resolution is....

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The Xenon GPU in the 360 has unified shaders while the g70 has pixel shaders. Xenon has Dram built right onto the die as well, giving it a small edge in gpu performance. These console versions also have dumbed down settings, such as lower quality textures, shadows, and other effects that are blurred down or not present. All of this while not being the true 1080p resolution the 360 can output.

Some games yes, they are just ports of console games. But just in the past 2 years alone, the PC variants have great differences that you can tell. Crysis 3 has better shader options, as well as shadows, true tesselation(As does Crysis 2 with the DX11 patch), etc etc. Same goes for Skyrim(Despite only being DX9).

Most important that these PC games have that they don't have on a console are effects like AA or AF. We can control that on a PC, you can't on a console. I love my system but I'm not expecting to crank out Crysis 3 1080p, high AA and AF levels and still maintain 60fps. If I were, I would have a much better GPU.

So let's boil it down. Resolution, post processing effects, and visual effects are the reason to buy a high end card if that's what you want. I guarantee I'll probably have to add a second 7790 to my system, or just a whole new GPU all together.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    what do u mean qualify for GHZ Edition? i just bought the AMP 780 and the cooling is awesome, low temps low noise, even on load it's barely audio while playing, when not playing u can hear it but not much.