Whats the Human Eye Refresh Rate?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Saeid, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    I was wondering what the refresh rate of the human eye is?
    I was had been told that the human eye cant see more than 40 Frames Per Second....

And heres a nice way to test it:
    1. Hold your left or right hand wide open, so that the back of your hand is facing you....
    2. Make sure your looking straight on at your fingers
    3. Move your hands rapidly left and right
    4. Keep looking at your fingers

Now you will in fact see the so-called GHOSTING effect that we are familiar with on LCD monitors... that means you will see a kind of trail left behind... due to the fact that your eyes arent able to send more than a certain amount of info to your brain!

Now im wondering how much that certain amount is... basically what is the refresh rate or response rate of the human eye!

And heres ANOTHER question... if we have a limited vision in frames per second, why are we obsessed with higher FRAMES PER SECOND in games! ;)

2. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    We don't really see in digital form...

3. [TheFORCE]

[TheFORCE] Guest

i think he means up to what fps can the human eye tell the difference of a smooth motion or something... everyone says its around 30-40fps above that u will not see any difference.

4. neowar3020

neowar3020 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi GeforceFx 5900-VTD128
    of course you will see the difference between 30 and 40 fs, 30-40 is just smooth, but you can know the difference between 125 hz not in quality but in the override of the next frame is displayed.

so 125 hz its noticable, and most ina a 21" inch rtf mointor.

5. MastA

MastA Guru3d's P.I.M.P.

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP
    i think the max we can see at is 60 fps i heard that a lot just rumors not a FACT :p

6. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    Most people say 30fps, as that's what movies are shot in, etc, but we can tell based on smoothness. If you are used to playing games at 20 fps, and go to 30 fps, it looks incredibly smooth, but if you are used to playing at 30, and it goes to 40, you notice the difference, and so on and so forth. I think we'd max out at 50/60, but that's just because when You're going that fast, it usually doesn't drop below 40, so you won't notice any difference.

It's the changes in frame rates that we notice when above 30, not the actual continuous frame rate.

7. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    I'm not sure of the engish term but I think it's retinal persistence.
    the problem is that the eye has not the same "refresh rate" on all it's surface. I got sensitive eyes and that's why I'm very picky about refresh rates. i need 80Hz to feel comfortable when looking at the screen. any lower i can see it flash. Let me explain :
    put youur refresh rate (don't work on LCDs though only RCI) at 60Hz an put a white screen (yes ALL white). now look at a corner you will notice the other corner flash... you will see each frame white/black/white/black.....
    even at 72Hz i still see that fashing thingy when i look at my keybord for example.
    the center the vision; where you focus has a low "refresh" but the periferical area is more sensitive

8. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Well 11-14fps is used in animation and 24-25 for film/tv.
    TV refresh rate of 50Mhz is normal there is also 100Mhz ones.
    You even have half frames,running 50 half frames is seen as 25 full frame.
    And a thing call shutter speed on cams also determents
    "fast movement look".Low shutter speed makes fast movement stripe out. A bit like screen tearing when v-sync is off.
    Refresh rate is most noticeable a RR of 60Mhz looks like *bip*
    your eyes will not like it,but 60fps is ok.
    But fps in games are not just eye candy,it has impact on gameplay.25fps is not a playable speed it may fool you eyes in movies but it will not do in games.

9. IceCube

IceCube Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4200 VIVO
    I read an article once that said that the reason we see a difference between say 30fps and 50fps was because the framerate changes a lot around that number. If u take a game that never drops bellow 60fps and cap it at 50 or 30 u should not see a difference in gameplay. But then again that article might be wrong; or I might have rad it wrong; or I might have understood it wrong so take it with a grain of salt ;)

10. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200 128MB
    I thought I was the only one. My friends all think I am weird because of it. I have to set my monitor at 85hz just so I'm happy.

11. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    U're not weird you are SUPERIOR ! lol
    U got sensitive eyes that's all so U see faster than most, like me.
    I have also been called "weird".

12. disfigured_LmKi

disfigured_LmKi Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT on 26" Sammy
    I've allways questioned the 36F/S mark. That's the number i heard was the "max" for the human eye.

I like to have plenty of F/S in FPSs. Sort of like a reserve when the crap hits the fan. I feel more cofident playing when the F/S is a 40+ , rarely dipping below that mark. To me I see a difference. I like it even higher in older games that are not as stable. Never sacrifice F/S for graphics especially in multi-player.

13. SL2

SL2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I need 75hz or more on a CRT or it seems to mess with my eyes and gives me a head ache.

14. neowar3020

neowar3020 Maha Guru

GPU:
    if you have a crt of 192 at 60hz your head will explode. you just need it at leats at 72

15. SL2

SL2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Now you've completely lost me....

16. neowar3020

neowar3020 Maha Guru

GPU:
    sorry i mean a 19" inch crt monitor and have it at 72 hz refreshrate.

17. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    My head just exploded! :mad:
    Damn low quality CRTs... :(

I wish i had a spare head lying around... ;) :D

18. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    ha ha

19. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Dude, it's not the hardware that matters - it's the software! :)

The HumanbrainXP with Servicepack1 installed will intelligently deduct from experience, if the object in question is really moving, or if it just watching a picture on a TV / computer.

Therefore even if the human brain would only work at 5 fps, we would still recognize a continuously moving object in the real world.

Other topic is computers. The brain knows, that pictures on the screen are not *real*, there is no bullets flying through the monitor, that's why the effect is not working here.

On a sidenote, the HumanbrainXP can use drugs like adrenalin to overclock! For example, riding a rollercoaster requires more frames per second, because the pictures received by the human eye are changing so fast, that the brain is unable to connect the frames into a moving picture without further help.
    But thanks for having the AI (adrenalin intelligent-overclock-feature) that can boost our reception of pictures temporarily, the problem is solved.

20. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    Your TV cannot refresh at 50 Megahertz, it'd probably explode trying...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004