Whats the best virus protection software?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by GenerationGXX, Jan 28, 2008.

1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    If i can hit the jump shot 99% of the time i won't need 40% rebound rate to get a good score, the ball will only rebound 1% of the time.

However, unlike jump shots and rebounds, you can not in any way substitute or compensate percentages of detection with percentages for cleaning. Being able to clean 40% does not make up for missing 20%, and with 60% chance to fail the cleaning i would say detection matters. Also there is no way for you to know the 20% missed is "covered" by your 40%, and the fact that the AV would first have to miss the malware it then needs to clean would seem to be all ample evidence of why cleaning can only be secondary for a residual AV installed on a system.

You are making correlations between percentages of detection and cleaning, and doing substitution or compensation of the percentages, in ways i don't understand. In reality there is no correlation to be made between percentages of un-detectable malware and cleaning done on (obviously) detectable malware. The need for cleaning would only happen if the AV missed the malware to begin with (or there was no AV installed), and the AV can not clean what it can not detect.

For a residual AV installed to catch malware, having 99% detection with 10% cleaning can never be worse then 80% detection with 40% cleaning, and i can't see how you would think so. That is, unless you plan on getting infected or you are cleaning a infected system, and again we know why systems get infected, AV's cleaning capabilities has got nothing to do with it, their detection everything.

Furthermore, making the kind of correlation you are between the percentage of samples detected in one test and the percentage of "successful cleaning" done in some other test, is fairly haphazard, e.g. av-comparatives and anti-malware.ru But then you have said nothing about where you are getting your numbers from. One needs to understand the tests their methodology and so on. There is a big difference between say a VB100 award and then coming in number one in a scan test with millions of samples. There is also the matter of trust and the question of who to trust and not to trust. It can be informative and useful but one needs to apply some scrutiny as well.

VB100
    Av-comparatives
    Anti-malware.ru , babelfish translation
    Virusinfo, scans from VirusTotal
    Security Suiten 2008 im Test (Q1/2008), Sunbeltblog on test in English
    Shadowserver (statistics)

3. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    If you all want to know what the "best" is..... it's a combination of programs. Such as Animation is suggesting.... it takes more than one package to do the dirty work.

However, more efficient ideas are coming to play.

Virtual Shells.

My name for what it really means.... a virtual shell that protects all programs that have internet access. All activities reside in this shell.... browsing, downloading, opening internet files. In fact, in last month's Maximum PC mag... they did a huge test on these apps, and with two in particular, they couldn't get a virus or other malware to destroy the system no matter how hard they tried, or how many virii they launched!!

Check out the two apps that hit the top of the list HERE and HERE.

The second one, Trustware Bufferzone, has a $500 guarantee.. that if used, and your system gets compromised, they will pay you the bounty!

It just may point to a better future of computing. I mean, we've been using virtual environments for a long time.... some use it as a tool, others use it to test OSes and other apps. But it seems to me like one of the best ideas since it's inception. It literally can provide the best protection seeing as the apps (or OS) runs completely in memory with absolutely no access to the rest of the system.

4. xPcGamer

xPcGamer Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800Gt xxx 670/1650/975
    i have used a lot of anti-viruses . And the best and the most powerfull i'd say is Kaspersky internet security.
    You can set it's firewall to different levels.
    I've used nod32 aswell and it didn't do much for me!!!

5. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    @ Morpheous416

Funny you should mention ThreadFire, i just installed it a few days ago on XP. I did test it one time briefly in VMware but i decided to install it for real as i heard good things about it. So far i like it but i haven't messed with it much. For a HIPS it has been very quiet (default settings) and it doesn't seem to slow the system.

I should point out that Bufferzone and ThreadFire are very different. ThreadFire is a HIPS, what some call intelligent HIPS, it mainly falls under the behavior analyzer and blocking category. Bufferzone on the other hand is about isolation, it uses virtualization and redirection to contain applications (pdf). I haven't used Bufferzone for a long time but i never really liked the free version that much and for some reason Bufferzone seems to have disappeared a bit from the virtualization scene as of late, not quite sure why. I would suggest trying the free Sandboxie instead for application sandboxing/virtualization. You also have other software in this category used for full system or partition virtualization. You can check out this thread at wilderssecurity. Deep Freeze and Microsoft's SteadyState are more such options.

No your quite right there are many other options besides AV scanners for protection, some say better. Personally i don't think they need to exclude each other. And while i agree that HIPS and virtualization can offer many benefits, and i would and do recommend them, i should say they too are also not without their own problems.

6. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    I`ve been using ZoneAlarm Internet security suite, and it certainly does the job, and it`s quite easy to use, but it doesn`t get on too well with certain games. Most notably for me, NFS Most Wanted stutters quite badly with ZoneAlarm on. Without it, the game runs smooth as butter.

It`s strange, cos you would think this is what dual-core is designed for, but clearly not that simple.

7. Shinzok

Shinzok Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB
    I've been using different AV over the past years and know from experience that detection is always more important than removal...

Because if you are able to detect a VIRUS etc. you could prevent getting infected all together... :thumbup:

So me use ESET SMART SECURITY Business Edition witch has integrated Firewall and :rocks:

Allows me to play all my games even with everything ticked in the advanced options... :smoke:

To get back on whats more important: ESS BE gives you a warning before you get infected... And then you can choose either to block the current or let it go through. (when downloading a file it will ask you if you want to terminate the connection to the file you are trying to download)

Also VB100, AV-comparatives.org and some other sites are good ones to check...

Also having NORTON on your system aint BAD if you don't play games... but if you play games and want superb protection against NASTY STUFF... use ESS or ESS BE..

8. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Yes it seems quite obvious doesn't it.

More over as i said already there is no substituting detection with cleaning as you simpely can not clean what you can not detect.

9. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Yup, it is the best engine, no doubt about it (and I know this from a guy that writes AV software for a living).

However, I never keep my AV resident and didn't get a virus in years. I just manually scan the stuff I download, so I don;t have to worry about memory footprint.

10. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Now i just have to ask, what makes the KAV engine good ? What makes any engine good ? What exactly are we talking about here, unpacking, heuristics...what ?

11. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Detection rate, first and foremost. And then speed.

12. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    The bulk of KAV's detection is done with signatures. The reason why KAV has such a high detection rate is the lab is churning out updates. This has very little to do with the engine being good or bad.

The scan speed i can't really agree with, this is why KAV uses (version 8 wont i think), ISwift and iChecker to make subsequent scans faster. KAV isn't the slowest but it's not the fastest either, both Avira and NOD32 scan speed is faster, at least last i checked.

Again technically what makes a good engine ?

13. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    i use trend micro IS suite...works pretty well for me

14. jalextacy

jalextacy Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
    Another vote for Eset NOD32 !!! :D

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    a vote for avg free here!

16. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I used to have Bitdefender, but then I switched to NOD32 because it's lighter on resources.

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    first of all.. Zonealarm = BAD!!!

next, I suggest NOD32 for paid anti-virus and then for free I suggest Avast Home.

You can't beat the detection rates NOD32 has and Avast does a great job also even being free.

If I had to make a choice to save some money then Avast FTW!

But for the love of God avoid ZoneAlarm at all costs.. get yourself a router with a built in NAT firewall and use Windows Firewall.

18. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    There's only so much use in a program that tells you you have a virus after you have it. Firewall + common sense is the only combo that works for me.

19. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    AVG free

Been using it for years now and it does its job.