What's the BEST CPU fan cooler?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Drunkenmasta, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hi,

I have a "Beetle" 90 mm fan cooler for my A64. But I'm still getting high readings and room temp varies from 10 degrees-20 degrees celcius max (coming up to Spring soon). At idle my CPU reads around 31 degrees celcius, but on load it hit 70 degrees celcius at one time while playing GTA-SA!! I know you can put another fan at the back of the beetle cooler. I didn't have another 80 mm fan, so I just used my stock 60 mm AMD one for now on back of it. Still the same readings. I'm beginning to regret buying it! I unfortunately didn't have Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste at the time of installation. But I'm going to order some in less than 2 weeks. I NEED it!

I use Motherboard Monitor 5 for my readings, I'll try a re-install and see if it reads the same readings as well.

Image of beetle cooler is here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148368

I heard Big Typhoon is good. It does have a 120 mm fan but I am not sure if you can put Dual-fans on them. Any other coolers that are good around the same price?

Thanks!

pz out

2. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

3. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yeah, I used what was on there. Damnit at least they could have given you a tube of something decent :(.

I'll need to grab some AS5 soon for sure.

I heard the Beetle was one of the best, yours sounds good. Do you think I should take my beetle back and swap for one of those Hyper 48s or there is no point?

I'll try it when I get some AS5 and see what how I go in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

pz out!

4. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

I think mine performs alittle better than your but i dont know for sure.

But men, you alrady told the problem.
    You cant never use the old thermal paste, thats the problem, because it gets old and ugly, and it gets air in when you take off the stock cooler.
    So, you have air between you processor and heatsink.

DO NOT REMOVE THE HEATSINK FROM THE CPU ONCE YOU HAVE MOUNTED THE HEATSINK. This will introduce air into the interface layer and require a fresh application.

Do you have msn messenger to explain it by that way?

Anyway, read these instructions:http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm. theyre for Artic silver but also for all other thermal paste.

As i ve told you, the problem is that you used again the old paste, and when you take off a heatsink, you need to clean all the old paste and apply new one.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005

5. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    I bought the cooler brand new! I already had a paste over it, I basically had no choice!!!

It sux, doesn't even work that well >.>

I know all about AS5. Here it is a fu$%ing b!tch to get a hold of, only comes in little doses, so I have to order it online.

Yep, I do have messenger, my email is: drunken_masta01@hotmail.com

It's stupid, the cooler has a best before date because of some stupid cheap gel :(.

I will definately clean it up.

Thanks.

pz out

6. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    I got a Thermaltake Venus12, Not once have i ran it on high settings. Min 2000rpm, Max 5500rpm, at the moment being Winter here in aus, its running @ 2500rpm. My temps are pretty good, 32c idle and on load during BF2 it only reachers 43c. In summer i run @ 3500rpm idles around 36c and loads around 48-52c (not at full speed). I recommend the Venus12.

edit: http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/venus/rs/a1744.htm

7. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yeah I was going to buy that one! The Sales rep at shop said the Beetle was much better and "ate" the Venus12 for breakfast. Also a friend recommended the Beetle when I got it as well. I mean, it can run x2 fans with copper heatsink ffs! lol! He has got a Big Typhoon on his P4 (If you ever see him in here, he is GTR_Freak).

I personally think to do it's justice I will need some AS5, then we will see some serious $hit! :D

Thanks guys!

pz out

8. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Well mine runs at 1400rpm, 18db, so its very quiet.

I can increase the voltage because right now is at 7 v instead of 12 which is the maximum voltage, but, i dont care, i dont need to increase it even when im playing at full load.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  9. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Argh, I have to say this...

Why do people treat AS5 as a god-like substance which will magically lower your temps by a huge amount?

Have you ever seen a comparison of thermal pastes? If so, you will know that the difference between what's considered the best and what's considered rubbish can be anywhere in the region of 1-5c, or there abouts. That is all! And it is for that reason that I fail to see why AS5 is loved and worshipped by so many people. I guess they just recognise the name.

Also, to stay on topic I would suggest looking into your BIOS version and seeing if the one you're running has any issues with temp readings. If your cooler is mounted correctly and you're still stable under load at those temps then I am inclined to think it's misreading.

Freaking huge cooling solutions really aren't necessary for a Venice in a situation such as yours.

10. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    LMAO!

Yeah, well I hope they are misreadings! I would like AS5 because well, it's recommended and the stock crap that goes on here doesn't do much...

I know what you mean. I don't expect it to cool it by heaps, but even if it does conduct better, it's less heat.

I'm going to reinstall MBM 5 and then check readings. If it's still hot I will recheck to make sure it's mounted properly on CPU. I'll get back to you all and post my temps. I might declock abit and just boost FSB for now synchronis(z)ed with CPU @ DDR 400.

Thanks all! ;)

pz out

p.s It just seems to really pizz me off since every CPU I get no matter what, GETS HOT even when it's only around 15 degres celcius room temp and if I don't increase CPU Voltage! Worst example was my old P4 Northwood. I swear I'm going to get liquid nitrogen and say TAKE THAT B!TCH hehehe :bigsmile:

11. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Man, i have reen many articles about AS5 and it doesnt performs much better than other thermal pastes.
    Just 1-2ºC better.

I just say AS5 because its a good one and if you buy a 3.5gram packet it costs you about 7 dollars and it can be used around 10 times.

The problem here is that he didint change its thermal paste, i dont even think the beetle cooler is the problem, it should perform well.

Also, i have connected thermal paste with Artic Silver 5 and instead of saying thermal paste i say, Artic Silver.

12. crakajaX

crakajaX Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    The Scythe Ninja is a very good HSF, I ordered one myself for my new system :). Maximum PC also rated the Cooler Master Hyper 6+ as the best HSF.

Hyper 6+

AMD system Idle - 33C
    AMD system load - 44C
    Intel system Idle - 38C
    Intel system load- 52C
    Sound output (dBA) - 62

Stock cooler

AMD system Idle - 36
    AMD system load - 52
    Intel system Idle - 42
    Intel system load - 47
    Sount output (dBA) - 67

13. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

14. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  15. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"

16. NeTbLasT

NeTbLasT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB (OC)
    what about Zalman fan?, arent they great at cooling down the temp?

17. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    I've only hear Zalman fans for video card (GPUs). I tihnk they are doing CPUs as well but not sure. Not sure what they are like and I have laways liked Thermaltake.

Thanks

pz out

18. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    Technically the best cooler on the market is the Zalman CNPS9500, but that's not for sale just yet...

Check it out - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/zalman-cnps9500.html

I think the Hyper 48 is supposed to be number two, but I'm not positive...

In any case, that's just best for cooling. Size, weight, noise, material, and others play a factor in what's technically the "best" cooler, so there's plenty of debating that could be done there. Personally I'd say go with a Zalman if you can. They're quiet and seem to be quite reliable from all the reviews I've read.

19. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hey, you think I should sell my Beetle and get that instead?

I can actually order that online. there is someone selling them here!!! I can't believe it!

Check it out!!

www.hardlynormals.com.au

I think the site is temporarily down for now, but when it's back up, check out CPU coolers! It's there for only $43 AUS!!! :D:D

Thanks all!

pz out

20. crakajaX

crakajaX Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    They might be all zalman, but it's the wrong version. That one isn't out yet.