Whats the advantage of TruForm?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rsjrv99, Jun 28, 2004.

1. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 OC Windforce
    If i put it to Application Preference then does it enable it? I haven't really noticed a different in imaage quality if i turn it on and set NPatches=true in UT2004. Will I notice a difference?

2. Session

Session Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 660 SLI
    basically it makes sharp edges on textures or characters to be rounded off, like say an elbow or a knee. so say instead of a sharp cornered elbow, it will be rounded off. i have heard that it hinders performance by alot. only way to see if it hits you hard or not is to just try.

also the game has to support it. IE: Quake 3, COD, RTCW, CS

only some games support it

3. JaBbErWoCkY

JaBbErWoCkY Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT + NV Silencer 5 @ 420/1.2
    You won't notice a difference really unless the game supports it. And it has a very minimal performance drop when using it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  4. AaD-Marine

AaD-Marine Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980
    deleted.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009

5. owziee

owziee Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT (128MB)

I don't know if anybody can answer this but how come UT2k4 runs faster with truform enabled in the ati control panel? Strange...

6. Girn

Girn Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 703/2000
    Re: ...

that is not possible for it to just enable it when u change settings in ATi control panel, since you would have to edit ut2004 files for truform to work

7. modestmouse

modestmouse Guest

he did change settings to make it work.

8. owziee

owziee Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT (128MB)

Can it be that UT2k4 already supports it? If it does I still can't see why performance would improve.

9. JAGGEDUK

JAGGEDUK Guest

You will see a performance drop as it runs in software mode, it was supported in hardware mode on the older cards if im not mistaken, enabling this on cs gives me major fps drop specially on the fy_iceworld type maps.

This option was one of ATI's special techniques a while back that never really took off by developers hence why some games dont really support it and it no longer supported hardware wise.

Can also cause gfx corruption if u have it enabled in a game that doesnt support it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2004
  10. wilka91

wilka91 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7900GT Faulty Edition!
    UT2003/2004 supports truform, but it requires some special activation by editing your configuration file (ut2004.ini), go to ATARI's forums for help.

I tried it when I had a Radeon 9700 a year ago, but visually you don't see any difference, it's just for the screenshots ... and the main problem with it, is that if a high poly model is on screen, it will kill your FPS.