whats taking it so long ?? physx+G80

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by Quad4Life, Jul 8, 2008.

1. rrjwilson

rrjwilson Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800GTX Extreme 768Mb
    No
    The memory controller for the motherboard is the biggest bottleneck on eveyr system made since the 386 both Intel, ********, VIA all used the same basic layout that is the cripple to all performance.
    But to change it and have programming change to operate appropriately would cost millions. It has already happened for GFX cards thats why they have a few Tflops when combined and compared to a CPU setup. GFX cards are small enough to be redesigned effectively without worry about anything else as they just have an output and input.
    Try your cheap GFX against expensive graphics in 3DM06.
    Then do crap CPU against high OC CPU.
    The score will show you the difference is clear.
    Gaining 50 in CPU score on 3DM06 gives about 3-400 on total score.

2. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Can it run on a 8800GTS 640MB version??

3. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    G80's do not currently support PhysX. There's about 1000 posts asking this very same question. ;-) Just takes 1 search button to locate 'em.

4. 0liveO1

0liveO1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI

5. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    Wow. That's lame. Isn't that just the inf for the driver to be installed on any card? Somehow, I highly doubt that enables GPU physx on the G80's.

6. bobbavet

bobbavet New Member

GPU:
    Evega gtx260
    I doubt it is a top priority. They have a stack of new cards to get rid of and move onto the newer cards to compete with ATI.

I gave up waiting and got a 260

7. 0liveO1

0liveO1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI
    since I just recovered from a system crash I don't wanna give it a try for the moment but if there are volunteers among you... :p
    I don't think I'm gonna invest in a new card just to play ut3 for the moment :p my g80's doing all the work I'm asking it to!

8. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    well if i invest new card it wont be nvidia card this time altough atm not planing to change sides just yet again.
    or to buy new gfx

9. subfire91

subfire91 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Powercolor 4870 1GB
    we have to install cuda too besides the physx and forcewarte drivers in order for physx to work?

10. niksoftware

niksoftware New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800Ultra 702/1150
    Eaxcat Reason For G80 Not supporting Phsyx until Aug5th

It depends upon the cuda level obviously nvidia has only enabled the physx drivers to recognise cuda level 1.1,1.2,1.3 cards as physx ready.

It is the Physx driver that must change to enable support for cuda 1.0 devices which will by all accounts be in the new Aug 5th 'Physx Pack'

Can't find the list but the g80 cores are CUDA 1.0
    the g92 cores are CUDA 1.1
    etc 1.2 upto gtx280@1.3

I hope this clarifies matters if anyone can provide a chart of CUDA level for gpu it would be handy