1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats going on with GPU prices???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Pigchild, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Ti 2Gb X2 SLI
    Is it me or have desktop GPU prices gone through the roof? Just upgrading to a GTX 1080Ti card requires a 2nd mortgage on my home. I need a single card solution strong enough to handle 4K gaming. Maybe a bad time to buy. If I wait a year I can perhaps get something adequate for $550 or less. My aging GTX 660Ti cards are no longer cutting the mustard even with two in SLI.

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    The mining craze is what's driving prices up.

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Welcome back to Civilization :)

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    I don't understand the whole crypto currency mining thing, but it's a bunch of bullcrap.

5. Killian38

Killian38 Member Guru

GPU:
    Pretty much miners and no one wants to stop em.

6. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    yeah it's quite ridiculous. i'm looking to buy a gtx 1070 specifically the zotac mini card for my second pc and it costs almost as much when i bought the msi 1080 back then...

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    Bad time to buy a card right now + 4k is a Bad choice for gaming. Go for 1440p rather, you can run that with a single card without much effort, 4k required either 1080ti (will barely handle it with sub 60 fps) or you need to roam into SLI domain and that's expensive/full of issues / basically not worth it.

In terms of GPU prices - miner scum is the cause. There are rumours Nvidia / AMD may release this year / next year Crypto oriented GPU's. That should stabilize the market, at least that's the theory.

8. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Lolz MSI GTX 1070 8G X is going for 719 euro I have bought when it first came out at 569 euro (also too much)

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I bought the Zotac 1080 mini, and i was lucky to catch it in a deal for £470 just before xmas, and i look at them now and they are going for £660, i mean just madness. lol

And i am really considering selling it on ebay at the present prices they are going at because at present i could get my money back no problem, and just pop my GTX970 back in because i am not really using it for anything that demands a GTX1080, i feel it is a unnecessary at this time for me as the XBX and a 55in 4k TV is taking all my spare time. ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  10. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Simply put, graphics card manufacturers are cashing in on the mining boom. It has nothing to do with a "lack" of supply which is forcing the price up, that's utter rubbish. There's more technology and more manufacturing processes in the world today then ever before so it's not like graphics cards are made by hand by some old Chinese man hand soldering 11 billion transistors. Like any industry, when there's a boom everyone cashes in.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    This affects all hardware too not just GPU'S, its as if they all want a bigger profit margin. I was making extra pocket money to upgrade with, but I'm done. You got dudes with zero hardware knowledge building rigs I can't afford, paying triple prices is out of the question(I simply refuse to do so)!!!!!
    But this is no new news,@OP where have you been for the past 6 months? Cheaper to upgrade a CPU IMHO, then sit back n wait to see where this all is going. Right now, if you want to run a 1080Ti in SLI its only at $3000 US dollars LOLZ! (Someone is smoking something and not sharing). Its really depressing..........

Killian38 likes this.
  12. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    crap even used cards that use to cost something like $120-$150 have Doubled-ie Gtx 690,780ti,290x, I was looking around to pick-up something as a spare (On a Gtx 980 now) but at these prices No thank you.Hell even Ramm prices are out of control $250 dollars for a 16gb kit, costs as much as the cpu itself.

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 1080Ti
    slowly coming down a little on uk ebay from what i can see over the past few weeks.

14. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yea, I did notice nearly all hardware has gone way up. 3 years ago $1,100 and you could build a pretty good gaming PC. Today it's $3,000 just to build a midrange system. It's taking all the fun out of PC building as a hobby. I'm not touching a GPU at these prices and may do what one member here suggested which is upgrade CPU, MOBO, and RAM. Although good RAM has gone way up also.

15. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    MicroCenter will sell a vid card at MSRP if you can demonstrate that it won't be for mining. (aka buying it with another upgrade)

16. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I must be out of it because I have no clue what "Mining" is or what it would have to do with a near 75% increase in GPU cost. What I do know for sure is that it can not last long in a free market system. No one is going to pay $1,450 for a GTX 1080Ti card unless they are the 1% of wealthy around the world.. The only result will be that these manufacturers will have to lower prices or risk going out of business. with 100 manufacturers competing in the GPU market it's simply not possible for this to continue very long. It will eventually plunge like a rock across the board. I don't get it... Radeon should capitalize on this and put Nvidia out of business.

17. Killian38

Killian38 Member Guru

GPU:
    My gut feeling is that the whole mining crazy will drop/hit rock bottom soon. I'm gonna Lmao at AMD and Nvidia when it does. It's going to be hard for them to dig themselves out of that hole. So many GPUs being sold for pennies on the dollar. While they just so happen to decide to launch a New GPU line up. heh

18. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 GTX
    Interesting to see what happens when the bubble burst. What will happen with all those GPUs these miners are stacking up on?

19. Killian38

Killian38 Member Guru

GPU:
    Crypto has dropped a lot in the last 2 months. I only see it going down in the next 2 months as well. It's worthless to the mainstream. No matter what happens, even if it jumps back up, everything is against it. The only way it will take a true foot hold in this world is if it's usable by everyone at every place that takes money. Until that happens it's useless.

GPU mfg are starting to make mining cards but you will never see many on the market. The risk is to great when they know it will not last.

It's like trading crack cocaine for a large pizza.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  20. Mundosold

Mundosold Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 560
    Sounds like you do understand it then