[?] What video codec to choose and how to record sound?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Y0!, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Y0!

Y0! Member

GPU:
    Intel HD
    Hello, I tried to record some short videos from Battlefield V and found out some problems:

1) Uncompressed video is recorded with freezes in it. I don't notice them in-game but in the video they are present (I can't test it with an SSD so for now it's off the table).
    So basically I need a codec that can encode video with good quality and this quality should be kept after I upload it to youtube. And it's a real issue!
    - MJPG at 100% quality - after uploading to youtube its quality is pretty bad, with those squares when there's some action etc.
    - external plugins - tried different ones, all caused GPU load dip and fps is noticeably lower.
    What codec to choose and how to configure it? Or may be there's a third-party program that can cause 0 fps issues and whose videos can be upoloaded to youtube without quality issues?

I keep away from ShadowPlay because it requires GeForce Experience which in itself is a potential issue, everytime you have fps issues it will be suggested to you to remove GeForce Experience among possible solutions, plus it loads PC with gathering telemetry, I mean come on it's not worth it.

2) There is no sound in the recorded video! When I choose audio source - there are 2 capture options (microphone only) or WASAPI playback device which gives no sound at all. I only managed to record both the actual sound of the game and my microphone, microphone was loud enough (I mean I heard how I pressed keys on my keyboard and mouse) and ingame sound was pretty quiet.

Sound card: SupremeFX (Realtek with the latest audio driver).
    MSI Afterburner & RTSS: the latest to the date.

2. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    yasamoka likes this.
  3. Y0!

Y0! Member

GPU:
    Intel HD
    Yeah tell me that it's the only choice and every other program stinks.
    If you have no answer to the question I asked about something that can record video with a good enough quality - don't answer then, I already said I wouldn't use ShadowPlay.

4. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    • NVIDIA Shadow Play the native solution for your GPU Stop being a tit and simply Google how to disable NV telemetry - it's not that hard.
    • Game Bar and Game DVR Windows 10's native game capture. Windows 10 uses telemetry too I suppose that rules this solution out?
    • FRAPS Telemetry free-freeware barebones DX11 max capturing tool
    • OBS Studio Free and open-source cross-platform streaming and recording program built with Qt and maintained by the OBS Project
    • NVIDIA NVENC OBS OBS, Optimized For GeForce - NVENC, which is an independent section of the GPU used to encode video. This removes the need to encode with your CPU, lifting a massive strain from your system, which in turn ensures your GPU isn’t bottlenecked, giving you better game performance.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    yasamoka and fantaskarsef like this.

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    He asked about MSI AB and not which other tools there are.

for codec choice: Game crash and codec question

for Audio:
    If you want to record only game sound (and not using voice chat)
    Set Audio source #1 to "WASAPI playback device" and select your headphone or speaker if you use speaker.
    MSI AB will record everything that you'll hear through the selected device.

If you also want to record your microphone:
    Set Audio source #2 to "WASAPI capture device" and select your microphone.

Now the next choices:
    If you want to have your voice/sounds captured through the microphone mixed together with the game sounds you should check mark the option "Mix multiple audio tracks". So you don't have to edit your video to upload it, if you don't want to.
    The downside is you can't alter your sound volume in regard to the game sound because it is mixed together. You have to do some test recordings and change the recording volume of your microphone. Which could cause your voice to be quiet to others in the voice chat.
    If you don't check the option to mix multiple tracks, your voice will be on a separate audio track and if your video editor can handle multiple input audio tracks you can change your voice volume accordingly to the game sound.

The option "Downmix multichannel audio to stereo" is when you are gaming with surround sound (4.1 / 5.1 / 7.1) but your video should be in stereo only. Actually this I would only downmix in the video editor (capable of surround sound) if I needed to, at all.

My settings:
    [​IMG]

BetA likes this.
  6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    You two belong together

7. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Well, you may have told him, there is no tool which causes 0 fps issues. Every software that runs on the same PC and grabbing the frames directly from the graphics card will issue some fps drop.
    The only solution which really doesn't cause any fps issues are external hardware recording devices, i.e. elgato HD60 S+ and alike.

K.S. likes this.
  8. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Very true.

Side commentary - NV optimized OBS is apparently pretty good... nvidia reports performance on par with dual pc setups depending on what GPU you have (some of the more recent ones have dedicated hardware onboard besides the gpu for aiding streaming/encoding/decode when using NVENC apparently)

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Andy_K likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    as long as you don't fully tap out the gpu that is....

10. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If you let even turing go to 100% util, the recording will drop frames.

12. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Yes - I don't dispute that (but but bbb buuuuuut!) just kidding... :cool: