What UPS do i need?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kens30, Jun 23, 2015.

1. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    First of all i know i have spent about 2,500-3,000 euros for my PC..
    and i am sick and tired of random power outages that last a second or 2,
    sometimes for hours.

I know i have neglected the most important thing a UPS.
    Thankfully my PC is running fine and i keep analyzing the S.M.A.R.T data for my drives.
    I always back up my important data to 3 drives just in case someone fails.

Anyway I have never looked for a UPS and i dont really know how many VA watts it needs too keep at least 10 minutes.

I would be very grateful if someone can check my full specs and recommend me
    only how many VA WATTS i need just for my pc.

NOTE: i never fully stress my system as i don't game much when i work my default clock speeds are 4.4ghz all cores HT on.
    4.7ghz in my specs are only when i might be bottle necked when i am gaming which is almost never.
    Power mode high customized to never turn of my drives and min cpu state 5%.

Sorry i would look into this my self but i don't really have much time.
    one thing i forgot,one that does not cost much not over 150 to 200 euros and most reliable and i do not want one that needs software to control it ....

Many thanks..........

2. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Thanks a lot for the link i really appreciate it...

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    User with UPS OCD here willing to help :)

OP, based on specs of your PC (heavily OC'ed i7, 860W PSU, probably OC'ed GTX770, few SSD's + HDD, 32" screen...) you need at least (branded) UPS with 480W output power (most of them are 800VAh rated) to get 10 minutes of autonomy or a bit more than that.

Don't know were are you from and what prices and availability for UPS devices are there in "Parallel Universre!!" ;) but if you can aim for some APC Smart UPS device, one that has listed AVR (Boost/Buck) capabilities. APC UPS's can be found almost everywhere, even cheap second hand ones with drained battery are good investment, after buying new battery of course. When buying second hand ones with drained batteries be aware that some of them are using just one battery and some of them are using two batteries.

Smart UPS doesn't mean you have to install manufacturer's or third party software to controll it's functions. Smart UPS will do everything you need even without software installed. Software offers you UPS monitoring functions, option to shut down your PC regularly (like you did it) in case of power failure and battery in UPS gets weak after 10, 15 minutes of work... etc.

Bought my first Smart UPS back in '96 or it was '97 when we had a lots of power failures, surges & spikes here on daily basis, sometimes even few of them in just one hour and it was more than frustrating backthen. That first smart UPS (he is still alive, has eaten 4 or 5 batteries since then) has costed me 350DEM backthen and never regreted gaving that money. After that first one number of UPS devices in my house and company has significantly increased, really don't know how many of them are there but when you count all PC's (15 iirc, maybe few more), TV's, HiFi's... and every single one of them, every single piece of tech has it's own UPS device (except bathroom and kitchen boilers) then I guess number of UPS's I own is probably 30+, maybe even 40+. Never ever had anything damaged in past 20 years because of lightning stikes, power failures/spikes/surges unlike my neigbourhood. Since I bought my first PSU I've never had a PSU failure, motherboard failure, HDD and later SSD failure, not a single TV or audio has been damaged or repaired... only few dead mouses and keyboards, but they were collateral damage in my early days of PC gaming. Last year it was carnage in my neigbourhood because of two ligtning strikes in close nearby in period of two weeks. At that time I was at vacation with my wife and kids and heard about those ligtning stikes from my friends, every house in my close neighbourhood had at least few damaged PC's, TV's.... my house: nothing. You have one shot to guess why :)

Every 4, 5 or 6 years I'm changing UPS batteries, my kids and all of us in my house or company are using their computers even when weather outside is far from good, others I know without UPS they're unpluging their PC's, TV's etc when thunders are comming but my kids are gaming in their PC's backed up with UPS's like it's sunny day outside :)

5. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    I have APC Back-UPS RS 1500 with secondary battery attachment.

It has been running fine for more than 5 years now. I have always bought APC only since they seem to have good warranty and service in my area (and they are a international brand).

Whatever UPS you buy, make sure it comes with USB connector to PC so you can monitor power levels. If you buy APC UPS, for the love of all that is unholy, DO NOT install their crappy power monitoring software. It eats up resources just to calculate cost of electricity consumed every day by you. It would be useful if the program didn't use up CPU lack crazy.

I prefer default windows power management. Tells you all you need to know (oh and APC software disables Windows power management, which sucks since Windows power icons are more informative in system tray).

EDIT: Oh and APC has power calculator on their site to pick the right UPS for you, this is how I bought mine. Make sure your UPS allows you to add extra battery for more backup time in the future.

6. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    It basically comes down to...

How many Watts do you want to continue using, and for how long. Once you know that, then decide on a brand.

Make sure you can buy replacement batteries because they wear out way before the actual UPS hardware in most cases.

APC is a good choice because there are off-brand replacements. I recently had to buy a battery for my wife's UPS from Amazon. About $18 for the off-brand but closer to $48 for the official one. The cheaper one is working fine.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  7. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Sorry for the late answer i have already ordered a APC BACK-UPS PRO BR900G-GR 900VA SCHUKO.

Thanks for your time...

8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Good choice, that model has everything you need in therms of protection and 10+ minutes of autonomy. You wont regret buying it...