What upcoming CPU will be best paired with the RTX 2080 Ti?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by EerieEgg, Aug 21, 2018.

1. EerieEgg

EerieEgg Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Hi there all,

This fall once the new crop of Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs hit the market, I'm planning to build (or buy prebuilt) a cutting edge gaming PC.
    • 1440p G-Sync monitor
    • RTX 2080 Ti GPU
    • Intel CPU ??? *Maybe the i7-8700K successor or one of the new i9's?
    • DDR4 RAM? DDR5 RAM? DDR6? (32 GB was thinking)
    For me right now, the dilemma is in choosing one of the upcoming CPUs and the type of RAM to put in the machine, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the CPUs I've seen on the market and just how high in price some of the "EXTREME" ones seem to go -- that and I'm not really sure what all the difference in RAM there is or how much RAM i'll comfortably need.

My target framerate in modern demanding titles is ideally a locked or as close to locked 141 or 142 fps (avoid G-sync ceiling) @ 1440p.

Could anyone give me some advice regarding what you expect the best gaming CPU to be and what type of memory I should get? If there's an obvious set of recommendations it'd be great help for me to hear them.

I'm not totally sure how much all of this would exactly cost, but ideally i'm fine paying about 3K USD on the PC (have been saving for a few years now -- very excited to upgrade). I can be a bit flexible there.

Anyway, thanks for your help and time, I appreciate it.

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    142fps? If you willing to drop video settings to achieve it, you need to look into 720p/1080p benchmarks and see what CPUs are able to push to 142fps.

Games like BF4/1/5 will have strong impact on CPU.

MaCk0y likes this.
  3. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    You can just lower settings to get to the FPS you want/need. You could pair a Ryzen 2700X with 3200 DDR4 memory, memory depends on the motherboard.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    A 2080 Ti is probably going to have a really bad price/perf ratio. I'm seeing numbers floating around like $1200, even though nvidia claims "starting at $1000". The 2070 will probably be a sweet spot, or maybe a 2080.

But in general, you're asking about things we don't know anything about yet. Once the new CPUs and GPUs come out, we'll see the benchmarks. Until then, there's not much to tell, really.

With that being said, once you get to 100FPS, things look awesome, especially with g-sync. 120 and 144 is a nice bonus, but 100 is the point where you're well within the "high refresh rate + high FPS" effect. The "effect" starts to kick-in at 90FPS for me (but it can differ from person to person.) It's difficult to describe unless you see it in person, but going from 60 to 90 looks very similar to going from 30 to 60 for me. And then 100 clears up the motion blur even more. Going higher than 100 makes the image clearer and clearer, but it's more minor. Going from 60 to 100 is "wow, holy crap", going from 100 to 144 or even 165 is more like "that looks nicer."

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    If you want a cutting edge PC you'll have to pay for that I hope you know.

But if you want the best performance, grab an i9 9900K and a 1080Ti at least.

2080Ti is most likely going to be a big waste of money.

Just for gaming 16GB is plenty, make sure to get 3200+ low timing of C15 or better.

eGGroLLiO and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    And you can't lose fps by going 4K ULTRA settings :D

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    That DLSS anti-aliasing looks very tasty though :p

In fact, the whole ray-tracing thing is uninteresting to me. DLSS is what I find exciting.

EerieEgg likes this.
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    If it worked for every game, that would be almost a good buy.

I wonder if it imposes any latency though.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    AFAIK it's like a very high performance DSR, meaning it can be forced for every game. (Famous last words...)

10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is done by running machine learning on Nvidia GPU servers to learn how "bad" image suppose to look.
    Those learning results then passed to consumer PC along with driver or game and only then game actually start to use it.

Without machine learning before hand, it's totally useless from what I understand.

See DLSS graph on this site:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1326...x-2080-performance-numbers-announces-ansel-rt

Even games that support RayTracing, aren't supporting DLSS.
    It's just really bad practice, in my opinion.
    Only game that in partner-ship with Nvidia capable of doing.

In my opinion, Nvidia rushed RayTracing and DLSS. Those are very limited features to specific games.
    It seems like an experimental features that being hyped about.
    I don't see a future in DLSS... unless community can perform machine learning by themselves and release drivers for games they want to play with it.
    And I guess game itself have to be updated, so I see no potential for consumers here.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    THIS!!!1!oneoneone

:D
    It's just refreshing to see someone has the courage to state it like it is. These days nothing is cheap, and the top notch's premium price tag is only getting bigger every year. Time to realise that top notch hardware is a costly luxury.

@StephenEnzor , wait until the benchmarks are around for the 2080Ti before you buy any card. Many 1080Ti users aren't sure if it's better to pick up a second card or a 2080Ti for that kind of money.

EerieEgg, cryohellinc and eGGroLLiO like this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    I can't see how it wouldn't introduce any latency - perhaps it will only be 1 or 2 ms, but everytime hardware has to communicate, there is latency :)

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The tensor cores are integrated in the GPU. There is no "communication latency."

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Ray Tracing will become interesting in the future, but as with a lot of new stuff, first gen is just a gimmick with crap framerates most likely. Regular 2080 doesn't seem like an upgrade for 1080/1080 Ti owners. I'm more interested in raw performance atm.