What to do?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BLEH!, Sep 7, 2016.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hey Guys! Been a while since I posted properly, but I've got the upgrade itch again, so here's my dilemma, and I'd like your thoughts. I presently have 6 usable computers in various states of repair/assembly, the newest of which is an AMD Kaveri setup I bought mid-2014. As you can imagine, this is taking up a fair amount of room and as such I'd like to thin it down a bit. So here's what I got:

#0 [Laptop] - Used when I go away or if something majorly screws up with everything. Assume I'm keeping this regardless of what happens.
    AMD A6 somethingorother, 6 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD (aftermarket), running Linux Mint. (I've only got 2 Win7 licenses)

#1 [Main Rig] - Everyday use, gaming, sound recording, getting a bit long in the tooth and quite power hungry.
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer mobo, Intel W3680 (980X) @ 4 GHz, Noctua NH-D14, 12 GB DDR3@2133 MHz (part of a quad channel X79 kit), Radeon Fury, 512 GB SSD Boot Drive, 4 x 1 TB data drives, running Win7 64 bit, using external firewire soundcard (8 in 10 out, THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR LATER!!!). Current running into a Dell U2412 @ 1920 x 1200 as my U2711 refuses to run at 1440 with the Fury. Powered off an Enermax 1500W unit. Housed in a HAF-X

#2 [Backup Rig] - Used when issues are had with the main rig.
    MSI A88X, 8 GB 2400 MHz RAM, 7850K @ stock under one of the 140 W Phenom coolers I had spare, Win 7 on a 128 GB SSD. Running off a 460W Corsair CX unit IIRC. Housed in a spare case with some fans.

#3 [Spare Rig 1] - Given most of these bits, some things salvaged for the main rig (RAM), but otherwise working, mostly, mobo is VERY picky about RAM and GFX, it seems.
    Gigabyte X79-UD3 (not a great board), i7-3820, Some spare DDR3 (16 GB), Corsair H80 (only got the mounts for LGA2011), [spare gfx card], [spare 64 GB SSD], housed in a cardboard box presently, not in a usable state. Spare 750W Corsair PSU

#4 [Spare Rig 2] - Bought as a toy to play with, never really been used.
    Athlon 5350, MSI Micro ATX AM1 board, 4 GB DDR3, sat in it's box presently, works.

#5 [Spare Rig 3] - Originally for playing old games on, never been used for such.
    P4 2.8 GHz, Intel D875PBZ, heatpipe cooler, 4 x 1 GB DDR 400 MHz, 6800 Ultra Extreme, 80 GB SATA HDD. Works, but slow.

So that's what I got. Given Zen is coming out, I'd like to hold off buying before I see how good that is, but X99 is likely my upgrade path otherwise. The primary issue I have is that my very good soundcard is firewire, which Win10 doesn't like much, given driver support is basically nonexistent. Assume I'm keeping the laptop, but the rest is fluid in it's sellableness. Ideally I'd like to have 1 main rig, and a backup, without having to switch and have a "gaming" and a "recording" rig, though that would be a possibility, it's just convenient to have everything in one place, really.

I see a number of options here (assume in all cases #0 is staying):
    1) Keep #1 as is until Zen comes out, while selling off #3-5, or some other combination thereof, then upgrade.
    2) Make #3 into the main rig with a cheapo 3960X/3930K from CEX (£105 now), keeping #1 or #2 as the backup. #3 mobo is of questionable reliability, however. Sell off unused stuff.
    3) Make #1 into a permanent Win7-based recording rig, sell everything else and buy a new gaming rig.
    4) Make #3 into a permanent Win7-based recording rig, sell everything else and buy a new gaming rig.
    5) Something else...?

Your ideas and input are appreciated guys. Sorry for the wall of text, but it's the best way to describe it, I think. :)

Ta

BLEH!

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Personally I would stay with option #1 for while and I would add extra RAM if you are need,have run 48GB on my X58 motherboard without the issue and personally I would have look on X5675,those CPU are bit better and have better OC capability and they're usually don't need to much vCore for 4.2GHz and more there

Regarding going with X99,this depends on you,but I would say,if you do rendering then I would say,I would upgrade without the questions,in music production,I'm using my PC like for music production and for rendering mainly,I use for music production OSX Yosemite and there performance of the X99 is really worth it

I dual boot OSX Yosemite with Windows 7 and have third boot W10 which I use only for testing,installing OSX on PC is very easy,on X58 you should be able to install OX very easy as yours MB doesn't have UEFI etc

Not sure but my i7-5820k at 4.5GHz is very similar power hungry like my old X5670 at 4.2GHz

I would sell parts which you don't need

X58 and Xeon with good GPU is still great gaming machine in my view there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks for getting back to me.

It's rare I use more than 6 GB on an audio project (Cubase), so RAM isn't an issue, though I can stick 24 GB in if needs be. With respect to me CPU, this thing is a golden chip. I only run at 4 GHz to keep the power usage down. I'm running that speed (HT on) at 1.2 V. It'll do 4.4 at stock max voltage, but the heat get's a bit much, really. X99 is the logical upgrade step, the 6 cores, quad channel and rather good southbridge are the main draws, but I'd probably go for a 5820K as they overclock better than broadwell and are a lot cheaper. I'm sticking with Windows, BTW, can't stand OSX. I overclock for efficiency, not for MAX PERFORMANCE!, there's a balance, just gotta find it :) Will start flogging all the old crap then.

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I use like Ableton,Reason plus Cubase and few other programs and I use lots of samples and plugins and my largest project took around 12GB from RAM...

If its golden then I would keep it there,I've build for friend X58 with X5675 and on this one he running only 1.32v with 4.4GHz and temps on Noctua NH-D15 are in 60's under heavy load when he is rendering

Regarding the heat,I would add extra fan on D14 and you should be OK,but all depends on case airflow and HAF X is not the best case with best airlfow,have owned this case and bought Thermaltake X71 and now have Phanateks Enthoo Primo which have pretty much awesome airlfow,just with AIO this case doesn't have best airlfow and I would stay away from AIO

Have look on my thread,regarding the comparison NH-D15 and Corsair H100i V2,in my case NH-D15 is lot better than AIO and on my 5820k I'm running 4.6GHz with temps which I've previously on H100i with 4.4GHz

i7-5820k is quiet good CPU,5930k will be better as you have more PCI lanes,if you are planning CF or SLI plus m.2 or NVme SSD then 5930k will be better than 5820k,but many people have own issue with 5930k as they don't clocks well as 5820k

Regarding the OC,I overclock only for better render speeds and better performance in multithreaded apps

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Second question:

What screen? Currently at 1920*1200, but would like moar, Freesync, or something else?

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Rig 4 and 5 are probably unsellable, but if you can offload them I would. Put that cash into a high interest account.

Take the parts you need from rig 1 to make rig 3 complete, and sell off your rig 1, put that money into a high interest account. Keep rig 2, so even if you do manage to sell off your other parts and rigs, you still have a main system and a backup.

When Zen comes out, sell rig 3 but still keep your backup rig. You could even sell off your rig 3 a couple of weeks before the parts are available for Zen, and run just your backup if you dare. That money can add to the high interest account, and then buy a decent rig when Zen comes out.

Continue putting money into the high interest account and use that for future upgrades, like a new video card when the second gen 16/14 nm stuff comes out, and AMD Zen+ in early 2018. Again, sell, and upgrade. You can even sell your APU system then, and upgrade to a newer APU based system. It's all about finding that balance.

7. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    Dismantle 2 and 3, keep the 750w for spare or use instead of the 1500w. (new hw use much less power.)
    Sell 4 and 5 as they are. (use retro forums and sell the other as a media server for tv use. Just good enough to decode x.265 trough serviio/plex or steamos)
    Take out what parts you need in 1 for your next build, buy x99 6800k 16 or 32gb ddr4, gtx 1060/1070 or a amd470/480 and a new monitor. Install windows 10, if your soundcard do not work, buy a new one!
    Be happy :)

Sell all the parts to pay for your new pc. (Cheap if you have to, unless you got a lot of organized storage space for that sort of things).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    Ultrawide is good for productivity and gaming.

Dont pick a model with VA though if you want high refreshrate.

I currently have a benq xl2730z with freesync, its 1440p and 144hz but its a TN panel but its 8bit and has amazing colors for a TN.

Wouldnt believe it myself, i came from a ips ultrawide but the colors are actually better on this panel believe it or not.
    Probably due to the higher resolution though.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    Ultrawide is good for productivity and gaming.

Dont pick a model with VA though if you want high refreshrate.

I currently have a benq xl2730z with freesync, its 1440p and 144hz but its a TN panel but its 8bit and has amazing colors for a TN.
    Its the same panel as the rog swift but cheaper and with freesync.
    I picked this monitor cause a member from here has the rog swift and loved it and is quiet picky hehe.

Wouldnt believe it myself, i came from a ips ultrawide but the colors are actually better on this panel believe it or not.
    Probably due to the higher resolution though.