What to do with an old Dell Power Edge server?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MKube402, Jan 31, 2023.

1. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    I have this Dell Power Edge 2970 it has Dual AMD Opteron 2435 32gb of ram 8 512GB Drives set up as RAID 5
    I can't plug video cards in to it, They will not install the drives so any thing that uses a video cards 3D is out.

I had it running Folding @ home for 2 years at work. I want to do some thing fun with it what's your suggestion?
    do they make a opensource chat client i can run on it?
    i was playing around with TrueNAS a a bit.

[​IMG]

2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hyper-V or VMware host?
    And tbh. this is the first time I hear about a GPU cannot be installed in a server (driver wise). What OS did you run when you tried that?

3. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    yeah I looked it up other people where having the same problems with this server and not being able to install a Video card. I tried Windows XP, 7, 10 and Ubuntu. I just get a driver can not start error. I put Nvidia gt7800 gt8800 a gtx650 a GT1030 and 2 Nvidia Quadro cards I forgot the part number but they where from 2007. and a few older ATI cards from 2010.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    386SX likes this.
  4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Manual I read:
    https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-2970_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

Page 117: troubleshooting the video subsystem

Edit: Which GPU and port did you use during installation of all these GPU drivers? Onboard? dGPU?

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There are a lot of options.
    Get Proxmox installed, easy peasy lemon squeezy to have an LXC container up and running, lots of Turnkey containers /templates for almost everything you can think of, and one can go even further by having Docker/Portainer installed on a LXC.
    Want a VM? Whatever you can think of.
    A Hackintosh, maybe? Yeah, why not.
    Network appliances, home automation, hacking, learning.
    Plug in the GPU and let's see if Debian/Proxmox can "see" it.
    And all is free, open source amd

6. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
  7. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI

oh wow nice ill look in to Proxmox and mess around with it..

so far every GPU I plugged in to this thing will not work. it had to be like 9 cards. on like 7 Different OS's

8. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Some old HP computers had a PCIe 16x slot but it was never intended for a regular GPU, HP released proprietary expansion card for them which would only extend outputs of the iGP but provide no additional performance or anything like that. If you installed a GPU in it, the PC would not recognize it and would still be using an iGP. Isn't this the same case? Back in the early 2000s, OEMs experimented with some really weird stuff.

386SX likes this.
  9. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I didn't mean "in which slot did you insert the GPU", I meant "to which port of which GPU the monitor cable was connected to" while you tried to install the drivers?

- Did you try to install drivers while the monitor was connected to the onboard GPU?
    - Or did you try to install drivers while the monitor was connected to the dGPU?

Edit: We need a server section. :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    anticupidon likes this.
  10. There's Prosody IM for XMPP, I used to run a server a while back and have some install notes; it's really light and you'd for sure be able to run some other things on that server alongside it :p

You could go all-out and self-host some stuff like:
    • vsftpd or samba for a NAS
    • Game servers (Xonotic, Minecraft or minetest, even WoW)
    • Media server with Plex or Jellyfin, although without a GPU I would just use Kodi on clients and serve media directly from the NAS set-up
    • Seedbox for private trackers
    • Radicale for self-hosted calendar and contacts server
    • Pi-hole for adblocking
    • OpenVPN server for personal use
    • Distcc for cross-compiling
    • Websites (social network instances like Mastodon, image/video with Piwigo, blog with Wordpress, notes on Mediawiki or Dokuwiki, etc)
    Here's some other ideas: https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted

I had 3 Optiplexes at one time and had one doing a NAS, one for a web and MySQL server, and one for game servers with one accessing the SQL db from the webserver. For fun, I had my game servers automatically pulling from git and compiling, unattended, daily :p (here's what I did for WoW), and at some point I even had distcc involved to use my FX-8350 desktop to help with speeding up compiling.

11. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    NAS or dedicated online game server is about all I can think of. Otherwise the bin or ebay and use the money to buy beer.

GarrettL likes this.
  12. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    MAME arcade emulator.

13. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    Oh it was plugged in to the ADD in Video card. you will get video out still just wont install the drivers so its just using the windows Basic video driver.

386SX likes this.
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I'll second the Proxmox hypervisor.
    It is flexible foundation for a home lab and can spin up many things, services VM with a few clicks.
    All those nice advice @Espionage724 could be easily spin up in LXC containers. Or VM for beefier services.
    The killer feature for me is the LXC Turnkey templates for any service or alike,all there, hardened,updated and ready to be deployed in just seconds.