What to do with an AMD XP2500 system?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MrOuija, Jul 3, 2007.

1. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    I still have this system around with the following specs:
    XP 2500+ @ 2279mhz
    GF2 MX 400 32MB(My readeon 9800pro broke down)
    Asus a7n8x-x mobo
    geil PC3200 2x512 value ram
    Maxtor 200GB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster Live
    TT butterfly 480 Watt PSU

This is all in a Thermaltake Tsunami case which is way too big for the space I have. It also makes too much noise. I want to turn it into a smaller multimedia pc or something like that. Do you guys think that's an option with that system or should I just give it away or something? I reckon I do have to buy a new videocard and I want to buy a new case for it. What would be good options without spending too much money on this old system?

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    that system still has some life in it.a little outdated but far from being a donation rig imo.if possible id swap the cpu fan for a low dba one and run it at stock to keep the temps low.as for a small form factor case i really cant say unfortunately.for multimedia it might struggle tho.how does it fare atm with the apps etc your looking to run on it?

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    This is what it would be usefull for :p

4. Æther Tech

Æther Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT(OC:750/2k/2k
    send it to me so i can make a file server, my pentium 3 and k6-2+ both dont wana work.

5. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    If you want to use it as an multimedia pc, id recommend you invest in a 8600gt,8500gt or a hd2600xt. They all have excellent multimedia capabilities.

6. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    All of which are PCI-Express cards that won't work with any Athlon XP setup as there are no PCI-Express Socket A boards.

7. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    If you like watch (dvd) movies, then you can just buy an AGP Geforce 7300/7600 videocard or ATI X1000 series videocard for building a HTPC and for hardware decoding HD movies/videos (so you do not need a fast cpu for watching these HD movies). Choose one of those with passive vga cooling, so you can watch movies without the annoying fan noise. The soundblaster Live is still okay, but for best result (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS etc.) you may want a better soundcard for a HTPC, like those with Cmedia CMI8788 Oxygen, like the Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1. There's a much cheaper version with the same soundchip: the Club3D Theatron DTS. You may find it at your local computershop, but you also can find it here.

By the way, the usage for Folding@Home is also a nice idea.

Good luck!

8. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the replies guys! Now what about the case? What would be a good case to put it in, something small, not noisy and if possible a bit slick looking :D

9. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Overclock the hell out of it, then remove heatsink and watch it burn

10. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Install Linux on it and turn it into a gateway and file server. After you put as many HDDs into it as it can carry and you get yourself a quiet heatsink. Mega-protection for all the PCs you have, no need for firewall on them anymore (possibly the antivirus can go too).

11. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    I've got a system similar to that as well, i gave it to my little sis so she can go on the internet and play some games (mosy likely the sims =/). But she's a weird one, she enjoys playing GTA lol so not all bad, the older borther gets some new games for free ^^

Specs:

A Socket AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (I believe)
    Jetaway V2MDMP
    1 GB of Value DDR 3200
    Leadtek 6800XT 128mb Pipemodded and Oced
    80GB HD (i think it's Western Digital =/)
    EZcool Case with 2 120mm and 2 80mm (G5 Look)
    EZcool 550watt PSU

12. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good ideas, but I still miss one answer and that is, what kind of case should I put it in? I know have it in a Thermal Take Tsunami which is way too shiny, big and noisy for this system. What would be a good small form factor case in which I can put an a7n8-x mobo?

13. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Anything you can get your hands on?

14. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
  15. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    What kind of price range are you looking at?
    Do you want it to lay flat and be a media center case, or can it be a simple upright? Since your case is a normal sized ATX, it may rule out some media center cases.

I'm currently using a system like that with ubuntu for browsing the internet in my bedroom. I also used to use a system like that for file serving on my local network. Unless you start getting into some hefty file transfers over gigabit at a LAN party, that should be plenty for a home file server.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'd throw in a 6800, or a 7600, and sell it on ebay. :D Or here.

17. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Just buy a new computer. HA

18. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    i made my old Athlon XP into a dedi game server for some games

19. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nice suggestions, thanks! No i'm not going to buy a new computer. I already have my laptop and I'm in love with it.

For the Pricerange..well the cheaper the better but I would like a flat case, are there any good ones for a normal ATX board? The Thermaltake one is nice but a bit overpriced. I also read it's a bit loud and that's the last thing I want.