What to do, what to do....

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MIGhunter, Nov 25, 2007.

1. MIGhunter

MIGhunter Member

GPU:
    ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB
    Ok here's my delima. I have the following POS:
    -Cooler Master case (older one, the one with the blue plexy glass door)
    -Enermax 450w PSU
    -ASUS P4T533-C/ 478 Intel 850E ATX Intel Motherboard
    -Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Northwood 2.8GHz Socket 478 Processor
    -ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB 8X
    -ATI TV WONDER PCI
    -512mb RAMBUS pc1066 Samsung RAM

I put it together in August 2002. It was all top notch back then and I had to preorder most of it. Now it's comparable to an intelevision (if you remember that). I want to build another pc but until all the new stuff comes out, I'm waiting. i.e. the ATI 3870 x2 cards. So until then I'm wondering what I can do to get a little more out of my current rig. It's all pretty much stock, everything is being run at current speeds. If I overclock and need to buy any heatsinks and stuff, I need to make sure that they are compatible with whatever I buy in the future (well not really since they are only like $50).

On a follow up to that. Once the ATI x2 cards come out (assuming they perform well) I will be building a new system. For that I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the motherboard, what kinda pcu to use. I'm looking at a core 2 duo (it's outperforming amd right?). I've really fallen outta the loop on pc stuff lately. I've been soaking up all that this forum and other review forums have to offer though.

Thanks guys.

p.s. almost forgot, will overclocking my GPU and CPU actually help with anything since I only have 512 of RAM? pc1066 is impossible to get now so I can't upgrade any.

2. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I know of one socket 478 motherboard that supports PCI express but to be honest, you'll be better off upgrading your whole system (it would be bottleneck galore).

If you sell your 512MB PC1066 RAM on Ebay, you can easily get over $100 for it. I sold 2x128MB sticks for $87 total.. :)

3. axis01

axis01 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS G92
    About the only thing I would have upgraded was the RAM. You can OC the CPU but you'll need a better cooler to do that and I don't think it would really do that much good. Basically the only way to get any real performance upgrades will cost you too much to invest in a severely outdated system and it wouldn't be able to be used in the new system. You've lived this long with this system, give it a little bit longer. You could start looking for deals on PSU's and Cases. I always seem to find the best deals when I don't really need the item. Doing research on these things now will save you a little bit of time later.

Axis

4. MIGhunter

MIGhunter Member

GPU:
    ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB
    Ya, I've been reading as much as I can.

One question, any links on CPU stuff. This forum has a lot on graphics and stuff but not much on CPU. I looked on newegg and can't figure out the main differences between all the core 2 duo stuff. The prices really jump around a lot. I know the difference between the 1066 and 1333 fsb but that's about it.

5. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Cache size is really the only difference between Core 2 Duo's, along with in some cases bad multiplier caps. There is really only one *bad*, per se, Core 2 Duo (6300 I think?) because it can only really hit like 3.2GHz, which still isn't bad but all others can go higher.

Cache size doesn't have a huge impact on real-world performance, which is why i settled on the cheap (but not too cheap) e4300 here a while ago. It's BASICALLY an e6600, as in I can clock it just as fast, but it has what, a 2MB cache instead of 4? Something like that.

The only thing I really don't understand is why the *extreme* processors cost sooooo much more. They better be crafted from alien technology and diamonds for over $1000.

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    they have a unlocked multi

7. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    so they cost literally nothing more to produce and cost $800 more?

8. vFiReStOrMv

vFiReStOrMv Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512mb
    Where it costs them is having to hand pick the best of the best cores...
    But they are still really overpriced IMO. But if my budget allowed, I would buy them...

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    The best spin you can put on it is that they can only make a limited number of them and if they sold for less then there just be severe shortages, but most of the time I think it is just artificial and they want a top price around $1000 and something would occupy it no matter what the situation was. Really the first, last and only processor that was truly extreme was Intel's .13 micron EE. It was a rebadge server part and had extra L3 cache that could boost performance a good 20%. Since then "extreme" has been a total joke--its just the fastest speed grade. OCing they will go slightly further which is why the high-end OC types still will buy them. But they're all off the same assembly line, just there is some randomness as to what speeds they can handle at the end of the process and the best become the most expensive ones.

Oh, actually it looks like the QX9650 is the only .045 micron desktop processor and is special in that regard. But this presumbably is one of those cases where Intel just can't make enough yet, the whole line will go .045 soon enough as it only saves them money by making the cores smaller and thus cheaper.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007