What the hell is going on with my Voltages....

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by CPC_RedDawn, Dec 30, 2019.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Need somethings clearing up here.

Playing around with my 3900X and my Crosshair VIII Hero X570 board.

With everything on auto the board can pump upto 1.56v into the CPU, sure its for milliseconds but it averages around 1.46-1.48v!!!

This is waaaaay too high, even when messing with power plan settings within windows and setting maxium cpu usage to 50% like I did on my X370 board it does nothing and the CPU rather than dropping to 2.2GHz stays around the 3.8-4.2GHz mark. Strange.

First off, I am using the latest BIOS.

Now I begin to tweak the settings manually, Now I set manual voltage in the BIOS to 1.356v and shoot for 4.3GHz.......

Well, its stable, but HWInfo and Ryzen Master report some weird happenings with the voltages.

Now the vcore hovers around 1.1v but the CPU stays stable at 4.3GHz. Even when hitting it with a load in CBR20 it stays around 1.1V!!!! WTF?? That can't be right as it should crash the system being so low....

Here is a screenshot to show.

https://i.**********/3w9zmc1h/4-3-OC.png

You can see that peak voltage sticks around 1.1v even when I hit it with 100% load across the cores.

Yet down the list HWInfo reports the correct voltages I manually inputted into the BIOS....

Here is another screenie

https://i.**********/d0J9RQNk/4-3-OC-2.png

What the hell is going on here!???? Why does the board at auto settings keep the voltages so high, then once I manually input my own voltage the voltage drops way down. So is the CPU only using 1.1v for 4.3GHz or is this a misreading? Is it actually using 1.356v.

I am loving Ryzen, but this stuff needs to get fixed and we need better readings and more coherent readings? For a moment I am thinking I have some golden miracle sample here. But it can't be right.

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Now this will not give you a proper answer but it is the same for everyone.
    Also I must add the CPU algorithm changes so fast to keep the electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom under control that the software can not read it 100% correct.

Certain settings in BIOS when set ,do not get reported on desktop correctly with third party software but the voltage will still be the same as set in BIOS.
    Check with CPU-Z to get the voltage you are looking for that will match what you set in BIOS.

Under heavy load the 3900X can run at 1.1v with vdrop which is a great CPU.
    Light load will be up to 1.58v depending on power plan and BIOS.I say 1.58v because it is the highest voltage I have seen.This high voltage is to get the high boost on cores.Highest boost I seen was 4750Mhz on 3800X

Now as long as temperatures are within AMD limits ,I would say no problems and try not to let it bug you.May be impossible for some,I say turn off the monitoring programs.

Yeah stuff is still not 100% on the voltages.It is what it is ,it may get worked out someday with third party software but not sure if AMD is sharing enough information for these things to be 100% correct.Hell come to think of it on my Intel machines ,I have never checked voltages as I did with AMD Ryzen.

I did a couple videos where the voltage are the same and get the same results but with different readings depending on how you set voltages in third party software.I have seen people get confused by the voltage and so did I also get confused as it should just work.

Ryzen 5 3600X All Core 4300Mhz Ryzen Master-Voltage are normal as you would expect

Ryzen 5 3600X All Core 4300Mhz Motherboard BIOS-Voltage are off when set through BIOS

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    The Core VID in upper screenshot is core input voltage AFAIK.

The reading in lower shot is the actual core voltage that is fixed to the value you set as it should.
    You should be able to verify this by going back to Auto voltage (reading should vary again).

I wouldn't read voltages from RM as it reports averages. HWInfo is much better as it shows min., max. and current separately.

(RM should be most accurate for clocks but clocks at or above base clock are read just fine by HWInfo at the very least).

CPC_RedDawn and HandR like this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Release day BIOS on an ASROCK x570 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard (can you say CHEAP, kids?), Ryzen 3700x, stock, PBO setting not touched, RAM only set to XMP, no overclocking what-so-ever here - don't need it.
    Processor is doing just dandy on Ryzen Balanced / Ryzen High-Performance plans even when I left Core Temp on (checking every 10s to monitor) for months, until I got sick of the processor ramping up every 10 seconds when it was checked.
    Zero issues with it. Don't touch settings on a new system until you get the theory on it. No issues with being cautious, however.
    "Wait, what's wrong with you? Why haven't you updated the BIOS?"
    That's because the system is for content creation / production, and once you have it working, you don't continually mess with it / change things until it DOES break. Do you repair your car's engine when it isn't broken? Don't fix what isn't broken!
    No boosting issues here. No magic smoke coming out. It's doing what it's designed to do. When it breaks, I'll repair or replace things as-needed.

If it's working okay and running games and applications well, then it's working fine. If you have unrecoverable WHEA (as opposed to recoverable) errors, then consider updating BIOS, updating PCI-E device firmware (SSD's on NVME PCI-E connections, video board, and so-forth), etc.
    But I will reiterate, no harm in being cautious. That's what we're here for. No one wants broken computer or FIRE for that matter.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Do you use the Performance Enhancer setting in bios? Setting it to 3(oc) leads to higher Vcore voltages. If worried, set it to 2. The Vcore will be lower but the boosts will be lower and not held as long either.

The other setting that raises Vcore is setting the cpu votage with a negative offset. The voltage set that way creates an inverse relationship with Vcore.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    you must keep inmind that the software reading is input voltage, zen2 has multiple power domains, and many are regulated by on-die ldos (low-dropout regulators), ie the cpu can control voltages at on many different areas of the cpu with the same input voltage, so long as precision boost and auto voltage control are enabled , the ldos are active, If you find the high input voltages concerning, you can always email the oem of your board and ask if its normal, or set a voltage offset, rather than manual voltage control.

Dazz and Astyanax like this.
  8. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    1.56v is normal for Ryzen like what has been said Ryzen uses multiple power domains and software picks up the highest reported, i.e 1.56 on one of the cores while all the others would be sub 1v 1 core typically runs higher than the others this is mostly just to handle back ground tasks where they assign the tasks to one of the cores while the others are idle. 1.5ish volts is a boost clock frequency voltage.

9. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    I used to have the same issue untill i did this https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/finally-fixed-my-ryzen-temps-voltage.430402/

Dont manually set your clock speed or voltages before you do this,set them to auto. I would not bother with manual oc at all,let these settings handle it.

That is disable all power features in Bios and enable these settings in your bios.
    Enable Precision boost Overdrive
    Enable Game boost

My Voltage went from a jumpy 1.4 - 1.48 to 1.312 stable.

https://imgur.com/a/RInR7Eg

I also enabled XMP profile on my memory but im not sure if thats related in any way.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020