What Surround System for my PS3?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by aphex182, Feb 14, 2010.

1. aphex182

aphex182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Looking to buy a 5.1 surround system to run with my PS3, i have about £200-50 to spend so any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    250 Euros = 340.42500 U.S. dollars

250 British pounds = 391.65 U.S. dollars

So people know.

3. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    onkyo and yamaha make pretty good 5.1 systems in that range .

4. shades3k

shades3k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    I've used these with my PS3 and PC (optical cable from PS3 to speakers for digital goodness) for years now and can thoroughly recommend them. You will not be disappointed; Logitech Z-5500.

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  6. aphex182

aphex182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Yeah forgot to pop up the £$ difference so thx MK!

@shades3k quite a few people have mentioned the Logi's, think i'll be going that set up!

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Look at the one I posted ~

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
  9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yes, a true Speaker setup as they're talking about can run you for several hundred more than you're looking to spend. It's much higher quality audio, but requires as I said more money and time.

See, the Receiver basically maxes your budget out and you don't even have speakers. =/

10. aphex182

aphex182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, I know, right? I mean we come here asking for speakers within Budget, and they say "No, spend two times that or more, you suck."

12. aphex182

aphex182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Haha :)

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    If you prefer a all together system then Z-5500s if you can find them cheap enough. I checked on UK amazon and what I org posted as receiver and a 5.1 setup would been $308 total. But after seeing if UK amazon had the receiver and they didnt. The speakers was more so its no possible for you to even do what I suggest because of that in the Uk. if you was state side then It be a diffent story.

Since your in the UK the Z-5500s on amazon I see for 253 new from amazon them self with Free shipping. Also I found the Z-5500s to be boomy you may have to lower the sub volume to 3 bars since they are over powering and will over power the logitech Sats.But if you love that Boomy bass then you can leave it set,Also dont play them too loud or the police will be knocking at your door ready to club you.

Personally I would go a receiver + speakers route but since your in the UK and prices are different over there then they are here. You couldn't do it no way as I edited out my org suggestion after seeing the prices on amazon.co.uk.

@MK well you asked for suggestions, People will suggest things out your budget thinking maybe you would save for that item,I understand how you feel when its 2x your budget as that has happen to me.But It doesnt bother me as its the person with the wallet choice in the end.

I didn't see any one doing a "you suck" kind of line. Reasons why people suggest other paths instead of just pc speakers so you can get more bang for your buck. They most here don't hate PC speakers they just trying to help you out with a suggestion. I used PC speakers my self, In fact I still Have my Z-5500 but its in the other room with my bro consoles.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    ..To note, Edifiers were already mentioned in the other thread and they are quite a step up from the boomy plastic cheapies sold by Logitech.

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    And according to Google price conversion, available at the same price, so I see no reason NOT to get em'

All I am saying is I say "ARe these good for my budget" ect, posts, and all I get is "no, they're ****, buy 700$ Systems" So yeah, I just don't like that. Being helpful is nice, but I asked a SIMPLE question and never got a Yes or No answer.

16. aphex182

aphex182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX980
    Think i might go the amp/speakers route, my old man has the same and he has an old Onkyo and it still sounds excellent.

Thx to all!

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Considering I suggested that system and a few others to you in another thread....perhaps it is a good idea.

We heard what your saying as you keep saying it over an over.
    First, you never asked a simple question. When you have a low budget your basically limited.
    These Edifiers are one of the ONLY PC speaker system I would ever suggest to anybody. Aside from these and a few others most PC speakers are garbage if you are looking for serious sound quality. Almost all of us know that so why would we recommend them to you? The best advice we can give you is to save a bit more cash and get a different kind of system.
    Also, IIRC, I recommended an onkyo system that was a HTiB and worth less then the Z-5500's.

You got your answer you just didn't like what it was. You wanted to hear that a $100 set of PC speaker sounded good. Sorry they do not, when you can add a bit more money and get soemthing much better.
    Most around here have serious audio systems in comparison to PC speakers, if your budget is limited though you can still get a decent system if you know what to buy.
    If you go with the Edifiers, they are a much better system then the Z-5500's and IIRC, they were never slated for release to North America. They are now available but it must be a new development.

Anyway, good luck with your system.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    That is the best route. Soundcards connect right up to receivers.